Netball - 15mill Sponsor situation

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree,
And I blame those at the top at netball.
They should have managed this a lot better.

Players have the right to free speech.
They can say what ever they like.
Free speech has consequences though.
If a player is selected to play for the national team, that's a privilege not a right.
If a players refuses to wear the allocated uniform then they chose not to play.
Netball Australia should have stood by Hancock publicly and thanked Hancock for their support of netball
And made it clear that they will field a team and wear the allocated jersey.
Any player who chooses not to wear it do so knowing they are making their own choice not to play and accept the invitation to represent Australia at the highest level.

It's all about individual choices.

I am 100% behind Gina on this one.

I don't blame the players. I blame the ones at the top at netball Australia for not showing leadership
I was corrected about a decade ago by a female colleague that Australia in fact does not have "free speech" in its constitution.

That is... you can't just voice any opinion that is racial, sexual discrimination, religious discrimination or afew others....

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo
Exactly.. I’m not saying she is racist at all.. I’m just saying she should address the ‘accusations’ made towards her company.. than just move on..

You all think I’m calling her out as racist..I’m far from doing that.. just address the issue..
U don't get it, do you....
It's not a matter of apology or "addressing" the issue. These indigenous players have caught onto a vehicle (this sponsorship logo) to push an agenda and they aren't just gonna roll over with an apology or refuting comment of her father's quote from 40 years ago....

You think Kevin Rudd's apology of Stolen Generation (carried out by generations before us) "addressed" that issue?

Perhaps some indigenous don't want to move on or let it go....

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well good for you..but that’s what I’d do..And with all due respect it’s now way bigger than one person.. It could be easily nipped in the bud.. simple and effective…takes it head on and finishes it quickly..

And it is no sign of weakness it’s a sign of confidence and strength in her convictions..and makes the allegations sound ridiculous..
If she had to do that for every issue/opinion raised by every player, she'd spend more time pandering to each one rather than focus on running a successful business.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was corrected about a decade ago by a female colleague that Australia in fact does not have "free speech" in its constitution.

That is... you can't just voice any opinion that is racial, sexual discrimination, religious discrimination or afew others....
We are pretty close to the US with free speech but we have certain acts and laws that restrict it a bit more. For example, section 18c of the racial discrimination act prevents you from using free speech to insult someone based on race, skin colour, or ethnicity. But there are exemptions to prevent people from claiming everything as racial discrimination speech.

But as far as this situation goes, free speech is fine here. But as Roo said, they're not free from repercussions. Even in the US a player can be fired, fined, etc, for stating their opinion because free speech only protects you from the government. It doesn't protect you from breach of contract (insulting a sponsor, bringing a bad image to the game)

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s one generation..

Nonetheless if they are being accused of being racist..a simple comment like I proposed..all done.. It takes all the power away from accuser..
She doesn’t have to apologise for shit. Stop it.

And we all know that her apology wouldn’t be the end of it..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha yep but apparently that’s ok and mining isn’t according to Pat Cummins etc
Betting agencies sponsoring sports and sporting teams is a bad mix..integrity out the window..but no one even bats an eyelid..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it would be good if she released a statement saying, "I don't agree with my father's comments and it's not what our company stands for"

That would be good PR. She doesn't have to do it though. She can do whatever she wants. It's her money. But it just seems like jumping to "you're virtue signalling" is only going to end in bad PR for all involved. A simple statement could make everyone happy. No apology though. I don't think she needs to apologise for what her father did. But just a statement to distance her and the company from her father's horrendous comments.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
She doesn’t have to apologise for shit. Stop it.

And we all know that her apology wouldn’t be the end of it..
SMH..I didn’t say she had to apologise..she should not have to.. All I’m saying if your company is accused of racism..which it is.. A statement, ‘we aren’t’ than per my other post NA take over.. But she doesn’t have to do anything..just my suggestion how to perhaps fix the situation..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yo
U don't get it, do you....
It's not a matter of apology or "addressing" the issue. These indigenous players have caught onto a vehicle (this sponsorship logo) to push an agenda and they aren't just gonna roll over with an apology or refuting comment of her father's quote from 40 years ago....

You think Kevin Rudd's apology of Stolen Generation (carried out by generations before us) "addressed" that issue?

Perhaps some indigenous don't want to move on or let it go....
Perhaps you don’t get it..

The fact that Rinehart’s company does a lot of work to support indigenous Australians makes a mockery of the stance against the logo being displayed..that is the point.. A statement further emphasises it.. that is what I would do.. She doesn’t have to do jack..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If she had to do that for every issue/opinion raised by every player, she'd spend more time pandering to each one rather than focus on running a successful business.
Some accusations are far more provocative than others..especially when unfounded..as such IMO I’d call it out.. but it is Rinehart’s choice..her money..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perhaps the fact she was the only one who was protesting, feeling of isolation, that could of caused a change of mind.. Each of the players in Manly had six other guys doing the same thing..strength in numbers and all that jazz..it was her first test..maybe that weighed in on her mind.. Who knows..pressure and situations do different things to people..
They were in solidarity with her. Some woman from Netball Aus, said the reporting about the others protesting about the mining industry is BS.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They were in solidarity with her. Some woman from Netball Aus, said the reporting about the others protesting about the mining industry is BS.
I said another reason as well.. and you forgot the last part of my post..

Or you could be right..who knows ..all I know for sure it should have been handled better..

Last edited:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They were grandstanding. And it backfired big time

I suggested a few other reasons as well.. and you forgot the last part of my post..
Don't know that NA could have done. They couldn't stand them down, or NA would have been sued for racial discrimination etc.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They were grandstanding. And it backfired big time

Don't know that NA could have done. They couldn't stand them down, or NA would have been sued for racial discrimination etc.
Could have popped in and stated something like I said before, we understand blah blah but while Rinehart’s company does a lot to improve the lives of indigenous Australians blah blah.. Players have the option to play or not..up to them..

Take control of the situation ..that’s their role..