News Jackson Topine - Bulldogs set to reward forward with new deal

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
According to The Daily Telegraph, his run of form is set to be rewarded with a new two-year deal that will see him tied to the blue and white until at least the end of 2024.

He has made a total of 11 first-grade appearances, with a total of three in the 2022 season, all between Rounds 20 and 22, however, he impressed in those limited encounters.

His time in NSW Cup this season saw him play 21 games including the finals series, scoring seven tries, making 119 metres per game and tackling at almost 97 per cent efficiency.

The 21-year-old will have more competition for minutes in the 2023 campaign despite his potential re-signing, with Viliame Kikau set to make the switch from the Penrith Panthers.

The Fijian back rower will almost certainly claim one of the starting spots alongside either Tevita Pangai Junior or Raymond Faitala-Mariner, with the likes of Matt Doorey, Corey Waddell and Topine to then battle for the remaining minutes in Cameron Ciraldo's side.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well deserved.

Morrin, Doorey, Makatoa, Topine.

Got a few decent ones coming through.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good on him, could never doubt his commitment and heart.
Anyone reckon we will keep Doorey?
I probably would keep him but he keeps picking up long term injuries at the worst times...

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The more i see how Doorey isn’t being mentioned of not having a contract, the more i feel he has been resigned which is, well. FUCK.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Topine really missed the Covid period footy for his development and this year in reggies has been good for him. If he can had some muscle and have a good pre season, 2024 could see him appearing in first grade more often. I hope so as he is great for the club.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plays good footy in NSW Cup and doesn’t let anyone down in 1st grade when he plays even though he’s not a superstar there.

Young, local talent who loves he club. With the salary cap you need 30 players, and not everyone can be a Kikau on big bucks. No brainer to retain him. I’d keep Morrin also. Doorey depends on how he is after this injury.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Doorey is going to stay he'll need to move to the front row.
Im looking forward to Jacob Preston,Zac Montgomery and Jack Stringer coming over next year.
If they have a good off season and put on another 5kg of muscle look out.
It would be nice to rub it into the Roosters faces for letting them go.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Doorey is going to stay he'll need to move to the front row.
Im looking forward to Jacob Preston,Zac Montgomery and Jack Stringer coming over next year.
If they have a good off season and put on another 5kg of muscle look out.
It would be nice to rub it into the Roosters faces for letting them go.
I think what you meant to say was is Doorey can mow the grass.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's well deserved and long overdue. Hopefully he can play consistent FG next season and go to another level.
He probably isn't the complete player now but does have the credentials to be one with the right guidance,
people forget he's just turned 21, he will be the perfect 14 next season as forward/hooker.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He probably isn't the complete player now but does have the credentials to be one with the right guidance,
people forget he's just turned 21, he will be the perfect 14 next season as forward/hooker.
He can play hooker in an emergency situation but hopefully he's not required to. I think he should be on the bench but it will be interesting to see what Ciraldo does for a utility as if we have Topine and three other forwards, we don't have much cover for the backline or halves in case of injury..