Official Team List Round 23 v Eels + Match Discussion

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We stuck to the same plan for the entire 80mins and it wasn't working.

We kept trying to play around them when we had not earned the right.

Moses & Brown caused all sorts of defensive dilemmas by attacking short sides and their kicking game was clinical as well.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parra were in total control, had all the answers in both attack & defense.
I tuned in at halftime and when I saw Brad Arthur relaxed and only talking to Mitch Moses while others sat calmly in their chairs, I got the feeling they knew themselves they were in full control of the game and if they just executed abit better, they'd flog us. And they did.

Everyone knows Parra are flat track bullies. You give them some breathing space and they can rack up a score. They are equally prone to pressure errors. We knew that when we played them at Accor and gave them a good belting. But we also poked the bear. This time they were ready for us and lifted.

The reality is, they are a far better than us. Their spine single handedly tore us apart.

Big difference in class.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My assessment of this game is that it has been issues that have been here for 5+ years have come back to the surface.

Ciraldo is going to have to take the playing group to some really dark places in order to get a change in mentality & performances.

If Burns is right in saying the training will push them to the limits, I don't think anything short of that will bring us week to week competitiveness. To get played off the park in two weeks straight is very concerning.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We also stuck with Parra in the first half, there was plenty of desperation in saving two potential tries for them.

We came out in the 2nd half and lost the arm wrestle, we never pinned Parra in their own 30m with strong defense. Lost the yardage battle & lost control of the ruck immediately.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My assessment of this game is that it has been issues that have been here for 5+ years have come back to the surface.

Ciraldo is going to have to take the playing group to some really dark places in order to get a change in mentality & performances.

If Burns is right in saying the training will push them to the limits, I don't think anything short of that will bring us week to week competitiveness. To get played off the park in two weeks straight is very concerning.
Hence why Gus says it will take a few years to fix.

More pain coming our way.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hence why Gus says it will take a few years to fix.

More pain coming our way.
If Ciraldo is the real deal we should see improvement straight away, becoming a finals contender is another story.

You can look at teams in the 8 now for example, technically they all have a chance but if we look at some of the teams they don't have what it takes to really threaten the top teams as we saw with Broncos the other night.

I want us to really compete with the likes of Storm, Panthers, Eels next season. Go set for set, get into a grind, go with them for the full 80mins even if we don't come away with 2 points.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Ciraldo is the real deal we should see improvement straight away, becoming a finals contender is another story.

You can look at teams in the 8 now for example, technically they all have a chance but if we look at some of the teams they don't have what it takes to really threaten the top teams as we saw with Broncos the other night.

I want us to really compete with the likes of Storm, Panthers, Eels next season. Go set for set, get into a grind, go with them for the full 80mins even if we don't come away with 2 points.
We all want that for sure but it's gonna take longer than we hope.

The problems run deep.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We all want that for sure but it's gonna take longer than we hope.

The problems run deep.
The new signings are a huge boost and will help us bounce back quicker. I agree, the problems are deep and have been there for many years now. It is going to take, juniors, development & great coaching to make us a consistent team.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few observations from todays game.

I've always believed home games are a massive advantage and that showed today with Parramatta as they're a LOT better side at CommBank then they are when playing away. Home crowds not only lift their side but can also influence the referees.

Looking at the stats the Eels had more possession through the match but not by much, they were 54% to our 46%. While our completion rates weren't good the Eels weren't that much better.

Not that it mattered but I thought the Blake try was off a forward pass, he threw the ball before the line and caught it on the line. That gave them the momentum. Moses and Brown were outstanding for the Eels. JAC was trying to do what he did when we beat them by 30 earlier in the year and failed twice in attempting intercepts that resulted in tries to the Eels, he gets one of them and that could've easily turned the game.

I'm giving RFM the benefit of the doubt as he's been out with injury for long time but he has to really show more for us next year as since he's been back for us this year he has been more of a liability than a help. Tries hard but he missed 5 tackles today and might be better off giving a younger reserves player a shot for the rest of the season. What worries me is RFM has signed on for another 3 years. Hopefully he improves on what he has shown us so far this year. Always thought we lost more than we gained when we swapped him for Shaun Lane with the Warriors, all those years ago. Lane made the most metres today, 170 to be exact.

Finally as Mick Potter said we were impatient.

Eels just had things go their way on the day. Stats say it should've been an Eels win but not 42-6.

Going off those stats I'll stick by my previous thoughts and say the Eels are still pretenders for the competition, they were made to look better than they actually were but as mentioned their halves played exceptional.