Official Gus on Twitter

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Listened to 6 tackles with Gus, no massive nuggets of info - but sharing the key points:
  • He signed Ciraldo as a player back in 2012 just to bring some professionalism to the Panthers - show the younger players how to train hard, train smart, look after your body.
  • Gus met him halfway (he was in Newcastle, Gus Sydney) and Gosford Maccas because he only knew that and the race track
  • He then offered him the role and what he wanted from him in the team. Ciraldo said I accept then turned to leave before Gus discussed $
  • He said he didn't care about the $
  • Then when he was transitioning into coaching, he was doing heaps of little things like going to Patrician Brothers school to watch their training, then helped their coaches with their programs. Not because it was his job, but because he understood the value in the schools/ local community running well will eventually feed into the Panthers programs
  • So he has a great handle on juniors/ reserve grade etc
  • And that people need to stop calling him a rookie coach because he's got everything it takes to walk into any job and nail it
  • Gus gave him a 5 year deal because he knows year 1 and 2 might not be as good as you think, but he will be able to enjoy the fruits of years 3-5
I don't know if I have 2 more years of a rebuild in me
We really should be making the finals next year with the additions of Kikau, Mahoney & Thompson. Must have a good HB for 2024 though.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s a pretty impressive team. I’d like to know what the first grade team was that week too.
It looks like round 9 V Parramatta where 1st grade got beaten 22-2. It should be noted that we played mid-week before this game.

1st were:
Potter, P.Mortimer, C.Mortimer, Farrar, S.Gearin, Lamb, S.Mortimer, Langmack, Gould, Battese, Brohman, Folkes & Tunks.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • Gus gave him a 5 year deal because he knows year 1 and 2 might not be as good as you think, but he will be able to enjoy the fruits of years 3-5
Makes you wonder why Barrett wasn't afforded that same time frame?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why Barrett wasn't afforded that same time frame?
Not competition for Baz and wasn't same aura around him so he couldn't knock back head coaching giggs. Ideally Ciraldo would be signed 2-3 years but you wouldn't get the deal done, he holds all the cards.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard this is what ciraldos 5 year plan is- can't wait, sounds good!!

* Two premierships by 2019

* A top four finish every year in the NRL and NYC (under-20s)

* Top eight finish in the NSW Cup

* A local junior is contracted to the NRL top 25 squad every year

* Club revenue is $30 million by 2020

* 30,000 average home game attendance by 2018

* 25,000 members by 2018.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I heard this is what ciraldos 5 year plan is- can't wait, sounds good!!

* Two premierships by 2019

* A top four finish every year in the NRL and NYC (under-20s)

* Top eight finish in the NSW Cup

* A local junior is contracted to the NRL top 25 squad every year

* Club revenue is $30 million by 2020

* 30,000 average home game attendance by 2018

* 25,000 members by 2018.

Raelene 1660765685330.png Castle
1660765555469.jpeg

1660765192362.png

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why? There is no reason that wee should not make the 8 in 2023.
There is hope of possibility, and there is expectation. I hope we make the top 8 and believe it is possible. I don't agree that a firm expectation is reasonable at the moment.

Gus flagged exactly this in explaining why 5 years.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why is everyone concerned about the length of contract? It’s not your money it doesn’t affect the salary cap so who gives a fuck. If Gus thinks CC is the right man for the job it should be no concern to anyone else how long the contract is for. He can not be anywhere near as bad as TBaz who will go down as the worse coach in bulldogs nrl history

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why is everyone concerned about the length of contract? It’s not your money it doesn’t affect the salary cap so who gives a fuck. If Gus thinks CC is the right man for the job it should be no concern to anyone else how long the contract is for. He can not be anywhere near as bad as TBaz who will go down as the worse coach in bulldogs nrl history
But it effects our mental health if he can’t coach for shit

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every player there played a bit of first grade with the worst, Meredith playing 6 games (1 with us) & there is an extra forward in there too. That team could beat a lot of 1st grade teams playing now.
Not sure about that.
I think they are getting on a bit now, unsure about their current fitness levels against Penrith's quick line speed offside defense.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure about that.
I think they are getting on a bit now, unsure about their current fitness levels against Penrith's quick line speed offside defense.
Maybe the Penrith boys should ask Ross Harrington what Peter Kelly feels about opponents. Kelly wouldn't last 10 seconds & neither would the first Penrith player to take the ball up.