Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was a bit worried 10-15 mins into the match after Flanos kick was caught on the full in the in goal and then our failed short drop out soon after. I thought wed have a shit kicking game.
I was a bit puzzled as to why Burton was standing so deep with that massive bomb but then it landed 10-15 meters out from the try line. Just unfortunate with the bounce.
There were other tactical kicks deep 10-15 metres out aswell as the game rolled on and another long range bomb, I think it landed in goal, cant remember.
I think thats the best kicking game ive seen from Burton so far.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was a bit worried 10-15 mins into the match after Flanos kick was caught on the full in the in goal and then our failed short drop out soon after. I thought wed have a shit kicking game.
I was a bit puzzled as to why Burton was standing so deep with that massive bomb but then it landed 10-15 meters out from the try line. Just unfortunate with the bounce.
There were other tactical kicks deep 10-15 metres out aswell as the game rolled on and another long range bomb, I think it landed in goal, cant remember.
I think thats the best kicking game ive seen from Burton so far.
Yes it was by far his best kicking game, he prioritised placement and landed the ball in good areas and when the opportunity presented itself to give the ball a little extra something he took it rather than trying to force it time and time again. Much rather see him kick like this than always going for the spectacular, low percentage play.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes it was by far his best kicking game, he prioritised placement and landed the ball in good areas and when the opportunity presented itself to give the ball a little extra something he took it rather than trying to force it time and time again. Much rather see him kick like this than always going for the spectacular, low percentage play.
For sure. They were still making metres upfield during their sets but starting from 10-15 meters from their try line was much better.
Dont know WTF happened during that period after half time, we just went flat. Could have shamed them but whatever atleast we won.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was going to ask you what you thought of his kicking game yesterday. It looks like he and/or the coaches addressed not mixing his kicks up enough.. He put in some nice deft clearing kicks that found space. Didn't always go for the bomb. And the vision and execution of the kicks for Fox which led to Schoupp's try and would have led to another if Fox and Schoupp didn't run into each other was first class..

As I keep saying with Burton, the expectations are high because of the hype, him making Origin and the contract he'll soon get, but he's still working on his game as a young player. Games like yesterday show he can make the adjustments and has the skill and awareness to quickly address them which is a great sign moving forward. I think in another year or two, he'll be much more of a complete player.

Puppuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. Feel like hes been winding up to a game like this one.

Also - he would have been bloody sore from those origin games, esp game 3 where they targeted him hard. That probably explained the last couple of weeks where the kicking game wasnt there.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just wish next season he runs more. At his size with great speed, he could be the best running half in the game.
We won’t see the best of Burton until he has a competent halfback next to him to shoulder some responsibility

Malla

Reaction score
I just wish next season he runs more. At his size with great speed, he could be the best running half in the game.
We won’t see the best of Burton until he has a competent halfback next to him to shoulder some responsibility
Great observation and I agree. The issue with why he doesn't run enough now is the service from Dummy Half as well as the ineffectiveness of our halfback and non existence of our fullback.

Burton has huge responsibilities in our attack. Just having Mahoney should free him up some more but put a capable half/fullback with him and you'll find him running more.3

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you get shit service as our halves receive from JMK. Your always on the back foot. You have to stop. Get the ball flat footed, by that point the defence is in your face. Rushed decision making. The extra second is so critical.

Watching Mahoney closer this year. He has the ability to spin the ball a bit wider of the ruck. Moses receives the ball on the go, and he’s already on the outside of his man. Your attack starts with your hooker. Mahoney’s service is one of the best.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't take that as gospel but from day one I've been confident Gus would re-sign Burton long term. Gus wouldn't take over a job like this and then lose one of the best young talents in the game.. Getting Ciraldo as coach only makes me more confident. It's only a matter of time til we get confirmation of a deal like this. Which would obviously be huge news for the club..

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
When you get shit service as our halves receive from JMK. Your always on the back foot. You have to stop. Get the ball flat footed, by that point the defence is in your face. Rushed decision making. The extra second is so critical.

Watching Mahoney closer this year. He has the ability to spin the ball a bit wider of the ruck. Moses receives the ball on the go, and he’s already on the outside of his man. Your attack starts with your hooker. Mahoney’s service is one of the best.
Yeh been saying this all year, Mahoney gets Moses almost outside c defender and gives him more space

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score

100% mate, for me it’s also the threat of Mahoney kicking from DH which also holds those defenders back a split second giving the halves more time. It’s lots of little areas Mahoney improves our attack. All those little areas add up to big improvements IMO.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little concerned about Mahoneys fitness this year though... I'm sure its something a good flogging in the off season can fix though. Will be interested in finding out when the training and conditioning staff will be announced.

But as been said above the extra width to Mahoneys DH Passing will give earlier ball to Burton and with Kiks and JAC outside of him lookout