News Brent Read.. Stephen Crichton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Kinda undid your own comment? Why is manu centre? Cause he’s better at adapting to that role than others and has Tedesco at 1. While edwards isn’t teddy he’s certainly elite fullback. For the record I’d take manu every day too.

That said I’m really torn on this (think he’s been poor the back end this year) though he has also been extremely good for panthers overall (granted a lot easier with quality players around him e.g burton there).

Though he’s light years ahead of what averilo offers.

Though for the 700k+ he would command it makes me nervous. Yes could be a elite centre for us regardless though for the 700k+ I’d almost rather we went 1.2 at Munster
Lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bro, he has been a gun junior, elite NRL player and selected in SOO. To say he is not that good is garbage. He is not a million dollar FB but for the right price, Crichton is a much better option than Avo at FB
He was heavily exposed in SOO and has only ever played in a gun side. He's good but not that good, don't even think that's a controversial opinion.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
he is an athlete and only 21, he will fill out also. He is a great mover and has the speed to be a special fullback
I could use the exact same argument for Jake, who would be much much cheaper for our salary cap, so we could spend more on our halves.

And then there's the risk of Crichton not making it at FB, having to revert back to centre (ala cotric and the centre experiment) . This causes a massive issue because we have Kiraz, skelton and alamoti

I personally don't think it's the right risk/experiment for us, that we try and make Jake the fullback we need (not saying that's guaranteed either)

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crichton is the last thing we need. He has been tried at fullback at Penrith and looked very ordinary. His form has been on a downward slide since the end of 2020. Already overpaid. Would be a terrible get.
Downward slide since 2020!!! Wow. I'm not sure if our hatred for the cockiness of Penrith has shaped our views of players. He is a class player bro

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Oh its happening. The Bulldogs spine in 2024 will be:

1. Stephen Crichton
6. Matt Burton (GK)
7. Jackson Hastings
9. Reed Mahoney
Right. An overpaid centre cosplaying as a fullback and medicab Hastings who couldn’t hold down the 7 at the tigers are exactly what we need.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kinda undid your own comment? Why is manu centre? Cause he’s better at adapting to that role than others and has Tedesco at 1. While edwards isn’t teddy he’s certainly elite fullback. For the record I’d take manu every day too.

That said I’m really torn on this (think he’s been poor the back end this year) though he has also been extremely good for panthers overall (granted a lot easier with quality players around him e.g burton there).

Though he’s light years ahead of what averilo offers.

Though for the 700k+ he would command it makes me nervous. Yes could be a elite centre for us regardless though for the 700k+ I’d almost rather we went 1.2 at Munster
IMO, 700 to 750k for chrichton is better than getting Munster for 1.2

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I could use the exact same argument for Jake, who would be much much cheaper for our salary cap, so we could spend more on our halves.

And then there's the risk of Crichton not making it at FB, having to revert back to centre (ala cotric and the centre experiment) . This causes a massive issue because we have Kiraz, skelton and alamoti

I personally don't think it's the right risk/experiment for us, that we try and make Jake the fullback we need (not saying that's guaranteed either)
he has played alot of fullback at junior reps, no issue there, Id love to see Jake make it also, but signing critter wont be a mistake imo

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No thanks over rated got shown up in origin

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
IMO, 700 to 750k for chrichton is better than getting Munster for 1.2
He's going to get 700k at Panthers. We need to be talking closer to 900k for Crichton.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's going to get 700k at Panthers. We need to be talking closer to 900k for Crichton.
no we wont need anything like that and we offered nothing like last contract, if he wants to come it will be play fullback, he wont get that at penrith

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
no we wont need anything like that and we offered nothing like last contract, if he wants to come it will be play fullback, he wont get that at penrith
Even if playing fullback is make or break for him he's going to get fullback money out of us, not centre money. His manger will play Panther and other clubs against us.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Nah wtf huge no to this, did a bit of research and watched some kayo mini’s of all the games he has played at fb so far in his first grade career and i am horrified. His defense is equal to Dufty, huge arm grabber and doesn’t put his body on the line at all, lets in at least two tries a game with poor positioning and horrible help defense. He was always late on backline movements, seemed lazy and confused in what to do next. Had some brilliant flick passes but teams will know he will do that, look at zac lomax. I really hope this is bullshit as it seems he is about as raw as Averillo in terms of the fullback position.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
we wont need to pay overs trust me, its all about opportunity
I'm 99% sure this won't be the case but let's wait and see if it eventuates.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly think we can do better...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we did buy Crichton on overs to play fullback, I feel it would eventually be seen as one of those typical decisions a desperate, underperforming club makes and regrets later. Akin to Tigers paying Mbye $900,000 a season and getting nowhere with it.

I'd be happy to have him come across on reasonable money and give him a crack. He's a gun centre if fullback didn't work out, but I don't think it's wise to give him fullback money now.
Depends on what you think is reasonable money.
He’s played origin so expect to pay top dollar no matter what number is on his jersey.