Official Bulldogs and Ciraldo agree to terms

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
100%. We were wooden spoon favourites with Baz and Potter considering he didn't get an off-season with the players has done an outstanding job with the short period he has had to work with the players. We were a shambles to put it nicely.

Like it or not, with the exception of the Warriors game we have been enjoyable to watch under Potter. Like every coach not every decision or tactics they get right but I can't help think if Potter was coach from round 1, where we'd be sitting on the ladder?
If we could actually defend and actually be fit, I think 6th to 8th is quite plausible.

PS he isn't the best coach but you can't deny he has undone the brainwashing of the robotic zombies and got the boys enjoying themselves.

I'll be happy if he stays on as an assistant but if Gus says no then I'll be happy with that too.

Last edited:

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The jokes on that dud anyways. Most of us knew anyways he was a done deal before he opened his mouth.

Plus the **** is burning and that is marvellous lol
“It’s a great move for ciraoldo” fucken turkey neck prick. He’s always hated us, I hope he see us win a premiership before he expires the maggot

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's already on overs at Penrith so it won't be a good price at all. What upside to you see? He just seems like a really great athlete that has benefited a lot by playing for the Panthers.
For me he failed a big step up with his poor Origin performances and that was in his preferred centre position in a stacked team. Think I'm in the no thanks camp at this stage. If we do sign him then I hope I'm wrong.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taken from the Wests Tigers Forum :grinning:

stryker 69

JoinedNov 20, 2021Messages3,156LocationInside of you
The bigger story here is that Gould has been allowed to run his mouth on various paid platforms, denigrating the Wests Tigers publically, all the while working under his official capacity as the boss of a rival club to attract this coach.
Through his paid gigs on Chanel 9, he has offered expert opinion telling this coach not to come here and that is a massive conflict of interest. He should be removed from Chanel 9 commentary and the Monday night show immediately.

watersider

JoinedOct 15, 2009Messages876
stryker 69 said:
The bigger story here is that Gould has been allowed to run his mouth on various paid platforms, denigrating the Wests Tigers publically, all the while working under his official capacity as the boss of a rival club to attract this coach.
Through his paid gigs on Chanel 9, he has offered expert opinion telling this coach not to come here and that is a massive conflict of interest. He should be removed from Chanel 9 commentary and the Monday night show immediately.
Yeah, it's wrong with Braith and Gould working in duel roles. Get them on as guests, even regular segments, but they should not be seen as objective commentators.

All that said, Gould is an outstanding operator who gets what he wants. Fools us all the time, totally rebuilt Penrith into a powerhouse, gets rid of old players on dud contracts where we never can and also attracts all the talent. Our club has never had someone like him. I hate his double talk and deception, but he is damn good.

Sorry to be bitter but I hope Ciraldo is a big flop. I also think 5 years is way too long for an unproven coach, but I would definitely take that money and contract if I were Ciraldo even if he gets sacked. I also think tigers would have been the easier job because of less expectation and probably a bit more upside coming through.

Wiz

JoinedJun 23, 2022Messages78
Gould gets CC to get his hooks into Penrith’s juniors. Gould gets Hartigan and/or McGuire to get his hooks into WT’s juniors (and Hastings). This is the big concern imo.

tigerap

JoinedOct 6, 2015Messages4,944
stryker 69 said:
Spot on…can’t stand that smug look and condescending commentary by Gould on 100%….watch him gloat whilst putting in the knife to the Tigers for missing out…

weststigerman

JoinedJul 14, 2009Messages4,067
Can’t really blame him.

After the media storm around Barrett leaving, they kept things quiet and Gus said he wasn’t even interviewing anyone.

Compare that to us, we axe Madge when the entire world knew it was happening 3 weeks prior, Ciraldo interviews are made public, we leak that we’re dropping our halfback, and our Chairman is arguing with fan podcast host.

Not that hard of a decision when you think about it.

Tiger Tragic

JoinedJun 12, 2019Messages2,066
Harvey said:
Gould builds success at most clubs he goes to. I think he would be better to have behind the scenes than Sheens.

For all the coaches Gould has punted, ir was never with the aim of putting himself in the job.
Yes, that's a fundamental difference between Gould and Sheens.

Gould is genuinely interested in what is best for the club and how he can help make that happen through structures, recruitment and strategic response to issues and challenges.

Sheens, on the other hand, is genuinely interested in Sheens.

I wonder if Ciraldo saw that, and the Board, CEO and Chair who appointed Sheens and thought, no thanks WT?

Needaname

JoinedApr 24, 2016Messages5,349
Tiger_Fanatic3 said:
I hope he realises Gus' 5 year plan actually takes 14 years
With a Premiership thrown in for good measure…

tigerap

twentyforty said:
When Ciraldo joins Barrett, who else does Penrith have?
Gus will bring across both Cleary‘s :grinning:

sparci

JoinedMar 15, 2021Messages542
jadtiger said:
CC probably believes that the window at parra closes this year,the only thing is i dont see any window opening at the dogs in the near future either
They've got kikau and mahoney joining them next year, theyre on the up for sure, maybe not top 4 but id put them into the top 8 next year

Garrry

JoinedFeb 20, 2022Messages224
How many Panthers flegg/ nsw cup players will go to Bulldogs in the next few years, Bulldogs don't need a strong junior nursery right now, ciraldo knows every junior at penrith, they can't all hang around waiting, now have another opportunity, just go to the dogs.

Last edited:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score

stryker 69

watersider

Yeah, it's wrong with Braith and Gould working in duel roles. Get them on as guests, even regular segments, but they should not be seen as objective commentators.

All that said, Gould is an outstanding operator who gets what he wants. Fools us all the time, totally rebuilt Penrith into a powerhouse, gets rid of old players on dud contracts where we never can and also attracts all the talent. Our club has never had someone like him. I hate his double talk and deception, but he is damn good.

Sorry to be bitter but I hope Ciraldo is a big flop. I also think 5 years is way too long for an unproven coach, but I would definitely take that money and contract if I were Ciraldo even if he gets sacked. I also think tigers would have been the easier job because of less expectation and probably a bit more upside coming through.

Wiz

Gould gets CC to get his hooks into Penrith’s juniors. Gould gets Hartigan and/or McGuire to get his hooks into WT’s juniors (and Hastings). This is the big concern imo.

tigerap

Spot on…can’t stand that smug look and condescending commentary by Gould on 100%….watch him gloat whilst putting in the knife to the Tigers for missing out…

weststigerman

Can’t really blame him.

After the media storm around Barrett leaving, they kept things quiet and Gus said he wasn’t even interviewing anyone.

Compare that to us, we axe Madge when the entire world knew it was happening 3 weeks prior, Ciraldo interviews are made public, we leak that we’re dropping our halfback, and our Chairman is arguing with fan podcast host.

Tiger Tragic

Gould is genuinely interested in what is best for the club and how he can help make that happen through structures, recruitment and strategic response to issues and challenges.

I wonder if Ciraldo saw that, and the Board, CEO and Chair who appointed Sheens and thought, no thanks WT?
Salty af. Cry babies haha

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anybody saying "who cares about the 5 years, we will just pay him out" are forgetting that the Directors have a fiduciary duty to the company.

"Directors have a duty to take reasonable care to prevent foreseeable risk of harm to the entity’s interests; these interests are not limited to its financial interests"

The club has already paid out a LARGE sum to Hasler, & smaller sums to Pay & Barrett. For them to pay out another large sum to Ciraldo would leave the Directors in a bad situation legally (Even if the prior payments were by previous Directors). So I trust that they have KPIs that Ciraldo must meet or the Directors are being negligent. This is corporation law, they cannot just throw money around willy nilly.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

stryker 69

watersider

Wiz

tigerap

weststigerman

Can’t really blame him.

Tiger Tragic

Needaname

tigerap

sparci

They've got kikau and mahoney joining them next year, theyre on the up for sure, maybe not top 4 but id put them into the top 8 next year

Garrry

How many Panthers flegg/ nsw cup players will go to Bulldogs in the next few years, Bulldogs don't need a strong junior nursery right now, ciraldo knows every junior at penrith, they can't all hang around waiting, now have another opportunity, just go to the dogs.
How absolutely deluded are those muppets???

Their club is shit, their board are shit, their roster is fucked, no one wants to go there and they're re-signing players like Naden and making an advertisement of it

Complete clown club

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can someone who is worried about the length of 5 year contract, explain to me why you are actually worried? I honestly can't see a genuine problem there.

Coaches contracts aren't worth the paper they are signed on. Plus we are loaded and don't care about payouts.

Guarantee he will either be booted or extended 2 years into his contract.
Director's fiduciary duty. Especially after 3 coach payouts from last 3 coaches.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The longer term contract is just a guarantee hed get bigger pay out if things dont work out. People been saying he has big potential and the club is a big risk for a coach. Imo its fair to have that guarantee given the equation.
Why is the club a big risk? If you'd had said that just before Barrett was sacked, then yes, but now I think there is a lot of upside.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s a great point

Maybe Gus sees a bit of himself in Ciraldo? After all Gus was once an unproven coach that got an opportunity with the dogs and won the comp in 1988 and went on to become one of the best coaches in history

So naturally I’m backing Gus on this one

Welcome aboard CC

And SC
Gould took over Canterbury 1st grade in 1988 after having a full season as reserve grade coach where he took the team from 11th to the semi-finals. He was put into the 1st grade spot supposedly temporarily until Chris Anderson took over but unexpectantly won a premiership. So at least Gould had a full season coaching his own team immediately prior to taking over 1st grade.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is the club a big risk? If you'd had said that just before Barrett was sacked, then yes, but now I think there is a lot of upside.
Based on the number of coaches that have been sacked or left in the past 6 years. Gus also had sacked 2 during his time at panthers

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Based on the number of coaches that have been sacked or left in the past 6 years. Gus also had sacked 2 during his time at panthers
Yeah, but the last 5 years we've been at the bottom of the table. Under Potter not only has he changed our direction upwards, he has made the footy enjoyable to watch & unpredictable. That's why is not such a risk of a club any more.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I believe him that he didn't want the top job, that the first strike.

I was happy to give him a year meaning we get Bellamy which can be signed in 2024. But the last two weeks changed my mind. Selection and rotation is getting worse, not better. I know we have a shit load of passengers but he could do better. Let's be honest, I'd get rid of ANY coach we have at the time Bellamy hits the market.

I'm not confident or pessimistic about CC right now. Like I have said he could be Cleary 2.0 or Baz 2.0. But he is our coach and has to be given a go before being compared to one of the worst coaches in history.

You say what pressure has CC had, what pressure does Potter have? ZERO. We aren't fighting for the top 8, we aren't fighting for the spoon, nobody expects anything from him but just finish off this write off of a season.

I will respectfully still disagree and say all he has done is let them play eyes up footy. If we actually see structure and set plays then I'll gladly give him credit for it. Haven't seen it yet.

Plus Gus wants him so Gus got him. He knows just a tiny bit more than us on here. Plus since coming back, he hasn't given us any reason not to trust him.
You don’t think Gus is having a lot of input into selection? Seems to me like he’s having a huge influence. It was his idea to bring me back into first grade, for starters. I think it was Gus’s idea to bring Skelton onto the extended bench too. At the end of the day you can’t make too many changes to a team that is doing well and Skelton will debut when Gus thinks the time is right. I hope that time is next weekend, cause I’m well and truly over Schoupp.

Can’t agree, mate. Our support play was non existent earlier this year. Since Potter took over it’s been really good. He has the boys playing for each other and team spirit is twice as high as what it was earlier in the season. I reckon he’s done a cracking job and would have loved to see what he could do with a full preseason.

As far as Ciraldo goes, I just hope he doesn’t try to turn us into another Penrith. We are never gonna do Penrith better than Penrith. We need to find (or rediscover) our own identity.

I do think Gus has a great footy brain, but he has made bad calls in the past. Getting rid of Cleary from Penrith, for one.

Anyway, the deal is done. I wish Ciraldo well. Hope my concerns prove to be unfounded.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

stryker 69

watersider

Wiz

tigerap

weststigerman

Can’t really blame him.

Tiger Tragic

Needaname

tigerap

sparci

Garrry

Lol as if Ciraldo needed Gus to tell him the tigers are a fucking shit show.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould took over Canterbury 1st grade in 1988 after having a full season as reserve grade coach where he took the team from 11th to the semi-finals. He was put into the 1st grade spot supposedly temporarily until Chris Anderson took over but unexpectantly won a premiership. So at least Gould had a full season coaching his own team immediately prior to taking over 1st grade.
Ciraldo did u/20s he got coach of the year