Justin Holbrook

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
holbrook be a perfect fit for the bulldogs, the bloke is no dummy, from whats being said the problem for holbrook and a reason the titans are going so poorly is mal meninga sticking his nose into everything hes doing

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
With that logic Baz was a good coach.
He is a good coach... but he fell into the trap of trying to make our players play to a style they weren't capable of executing.

Holbrook whilst struggling now, his side were much better in attack last season. He definitely has something to offer in the NRL in the right system imo.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a good coach... but he fell into the trap of trying to make our players play to a style they weren't capable of executing.

Holbrook whilst struggling now, his side were much better in attack last season. He definitely has something to offer in the NRL in the right system imo.
So in my books if he's doing something that doesn't work , STOP doing it' or people are going to think your a shit coach, example Trent Barrett!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So in my books if he's doing something that doesn't work , STOP doing it' or people are going to think your a shit coach, example Trent Barrett!
No not exactly ... Sometimes you just don't have the quality players needed to compete.

Using us and Barrett as an example, we didnt have a top 8 squad, but we definately had a team that shouldn't have been last and scoring so little points. I would argue that Titans team is far worse than ours on paper, especially over the period Fifita was out.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
holbrook be a perfect fit for the bulldogs, the bloke is no dummy, from whats being said the problem for holbrook and a reason the titans are going so poorly is mal meninga sticking his nose into everything hes doing
Holbrook is hamstrung within the current Titans structure, Meninga has far too much influence in both team selection & recruitment.
Holbrook isn’t the dominant personality to run the show with big Mal having the Frizelle & Kelly families in his back pocket

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Titans are the actual joke of the league. Dolphins are next. They sign players on insane money yearly and they never fire. They should on paper most years be top 8 but all their players are only there for the money they dont have enough players with passion for the club. Their management is stupid too. They need to build from within.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Nah, can’t agree mate. Unless he is purely head coach by title only, he has to be held accountable for a roster that should never be last..

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No not exactly ... Sometimes you just don't have the quality players needed to compete.

Using us and Barrett as an example, we didnt have a top 8 squad, but we definately had a team that shouldn't have been last and scoring so little points. I would argue that Titans team is far worse than ours on paper, especially over the period Fifita was out.
This is what you said ( He is a good coach... but he fell into the trap of trying to make our players play to a style they weren't capable of executing.) you can make all the excuses you like its a shitfight and he cant fix it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nah, can’t agree mate. Unless he is purely head coach by title only, he has to be held accountable for a roster that should never be last..
In his defence he has had Brimson, Fitita and Campbell out for the large chunks of the season. Arguably their 3 best players behind Tino. I get what you are saying, but that's hard for shit sides to overcome.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In his defence he has had Brimson, Fitita and Campbell out for the large chunks of the season. Arguably their 3 best players behind Tino. I get what you are saying, but that's hard for shit sides to overcome.
Mate, I just think that like Barrett he has a solid footy brain but fuck all idea about getting that message across to the players.

Instilling belief and genuinely teaching and guiding people to perform to their best is a rare skill. I just don’t believe Barrett or Holbrook have it..

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Titans management is garbage, remember when Henry had them firing yet they brought in Hayne against his wishes and everything fell to shit? They've basically just repeated the same mistake and more over and over again.
Wasn't Lynne Anderson on the board at the Titans before her and stooges tried to bring down the dogs from the inside?

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Gold Coast is where you go to escape from Rugby League NOT Play or watch it. Will never work.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mate, I just think that like Barrett he has a solid footy brain but fuck all idea about getting that message across to the players.

Instilling belief and genuinely teaching and guiding people to perform to their best is a rare skill. I just don’t believe Barrett or Holbrook have it..
The only reason I still have faith in Holbrook is because of the way he changed StHelens attacking structure after Barba left and dominated. I haven't put the black line through him yet.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Gold Coast is where you go to escape from Rugby League NOT Play or watch it. Will never work.
Nah, I disagree. I was living on the Goldcoast when Scotty Prince was the half and he was a pin up draw card. He was good and massively popular but, the Gold Coast have never had a superstar 6 or 7 and it’s been the biggest issue.

Even now they have absolute guns like Fifita and Tino etc but thier spine apart from Brimson is garbage.

The Cows had JT, Broncos had Alfie, Walters and Lockyer. The Storm had Kimmorley and then Cronk.

Teams trying to establish in a market must have success to make it. The Gold Coast has never had a superstar 6 or 7 ( other than Wally at the very end of his career) to build that success.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I still have faith in Holbrook is because of the way he changed StHelens attacking structure after Barba left and dominated. I haven't put the black line through him yet.
Success coaching in the super league doesn’t always translate to success in the NRL. Nathan Brown had a successful stint over there and couldn’t get the knights or warriors to fire. Our very own Michael Potter had a 72% win rate at St Helen’s and that dropped to 35% at Wests Tigers

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Success coaching in the super league doesn’t always translate to success in the NRL. Nathan Brown had a successful stint over there and couldn’t get the knights or warriors to fire. Our very own Michael Potter had a 72% win rate at St Helen’s and that dropped to 35% at Wests Tigers
Tigers though

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, I was against the Titans coming into the competition as it had failed not once, twice, three but FOUR times previously.

They even had the "King" Wally Lewis as their captain / coach during the 1992 season and still finished last. If the KING couldn't improve them nothing would've.

It's a holiday destination and if you're an NRL elite player of course you're keen to join a club on huge money while living a life of luxury. Why would anyone really care if they won or lost when your on a shit load of money and spending time, when you're not playing or training, relaxing on the beach.

It's a retirement village for those who are past their best and it has never changed over the years, under many names. Foran is a classic example of that. No doubt he can still offer the club plenty but he is nowhere near what he was when he had his first stint in first grade with Manly.

To put the blame solely on the coach for the Titans problems is insane!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Titans are having a bad run at the moment but Holbrook actually took the Titans from the wooden spoon in 2019 to having signed an extension with the club in 2020. This was a quote from their Chief Executive when his contract was extended, "

“The positive influence and overall development of our squad under Justin’s guidance in his maiden year is very obvious.

“Justin is highly regarded by our player group and throughout the game.

“I am sure our members and fans will be thrilled that he will be heading up our coaching program for the next four years.”

Problem for Holbrook or any coach for that matter, it's a poison chalice for any coach as is the fact that the Gold Coast is NOT a rugby league strong hold, it's a holiday destination and nothing can change that.

They have over the years consistently bought big name players at the back end of the careers on big money and that is NOT going to bring you success. You need a strong junior pathway to start with.

Maybe they can merge with the Dolphins if they're also a flop.