Russia vs Ukraine

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's definitely more nuanced than "Putin bad". He's not doing this just 'cause he's evil. I think everyone understands his main driver (standing against NATO)

But it amazes me how far Brand has gone down the conspiracy rabbit hole. He's basically just using left leaning sources, and the changing what they're actually saying to make it sound like this was all a conspiracy driven by the US far right.
Good assessment, but I'd say it is more driven by commerce than conspiracy. What I like about Brand is that he gets to the core of issues,that mainstream commercial media have a vested interest not to, and he adds a bit of humour to it.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree, He is. What he is doing is reprehensible, But if you keep provoking and give people of his nature a reason to be as bad as they can be,they generally will be. And as a consequence his popularity is growing. Trying to sabotage the Russian economy, isn't effecting him, its effecting the general population,which is just making them happy that he is fighting back. Im not trying to justify his actions, but years of agitating has helped to create this conflict
Putin was provoked into invading Ukraine?

I think, at the end of the day, that the West didn't do enough previously to stop Putin and his grab for more land. Had they done something in '14 for example, then I doubt they'd have gone back now for a second go.

Ultimately, I think it was good Putin did what he did as it's brought the EU and NATO closer together and forced all countries to be more self-sufficient rather than just relying on Russia for gas etc.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting seeing the the EU has granted candidte status to both Ukraine and Moldova. Positive first step, but will take some time to be officially allowed to enter the EU.

Another clear sign as to how Putin and Russia has ballsed up this whole thing as they've solidified those against them.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good assessment, but I'd say it is more driven by commerce than conspiracy. What I like about Brand is that he gets to the core of issues,that mainstream commercial media have a vested interest not to, and he adds a bit of humour to it.
Yes
But according to a few intellectuals here, he is a right wing nut job albeit his actual politics and ideologies are left. He’s just not a twitty tweeter that just believes whatever msm sperges to the masses. But then again that’s exactly what ring wing is too lefties these days.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes
But according to a few intellectuals here, he is a right wing nut job albeit his actual politics and ideologies are left. He’s just not a twitty tweeter that just believes whatever msm sperges to the masses. But then again that’s exactly what ring wing is too lefties these days.
A conservative Christian leader who banned homosexuality. Yep. Definitely "left wing"

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Just a thought - if Russia is in Ukraine due to perceived threats to it from NATO, shouldn't all the SE asian countries attack China? What China is doing to SE asean countries in illegally occupying and militarising the south china sea is far worse than anything Ukraine or NATO are doing.

And China is using the same argument that Russia is. Thats its national or aligned territory and we can do what we want.

So for all those that are trying to validate Putins actions, are you prepared to support China who are doing the same thing? (just with a lower body count).....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When did Russell brand become a Christian leader! Wtf are you on about
I thought you were talking about Putin. Yep. Brand is a far left Marxist. But he does like to delve into the far right conspiracies on occasion.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Putin was provoked into invading Ukraine?

I think, at the end of the day, that the West didn't do enough previously to stop Putin and his grab for more land. Had they done something in '14 for example, then I doubt they'd have gone back now for a second go.

Ultimately, I think it was good Putin did what he did as it's brought the EU and NATO closer together and forced all countries to be more self-sufficient rather than just relying on Russia for gas etc.
From an outsiders perspective he wasn't provoked into it. But from Putin's perspective, he was. This guy can explain it far better than me

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about Putin. Yep. Brand is a far left Marxist. But he does like to delve into the far right conspiracies on occasion.
You’re forgiven.
However don’t deny you didn’t jump when I linked him a while back and called him right wing. Which is why at the time I was having an extreme baffling moment

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You’re forgiven.
However don’t deny you didn’t jump when I linked him a while back and called him right wing. Which is why at the time I was having an extreme baffling moment
Yep. I don't deny it. He was posting some right wing conspiracy stuff. But then he pulled up the handbrake and took a hard left all the way to super Marxi-conspiracy nutjob. He is way on the left.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. I don't deny it. He was posting some right wing conspiracy stuff. But then he pulled up the handbrake and took a hard left all the way to super Marxi-conspiracy nutjob. He is way on the left.
He always has been left, even when you thought he wasn’t, he’s just not always on par with msm left.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This thread has gone quiet so small update...

A few days ago Ukraine declared that they were on the verge of taking Snake Island. Russia responded by saying that there was a small force but Russia annihilated them.

Yesterday Russia stated that as a good will gesture, they withdrew their forces from Snake Island to allow Ukraine to have it. Ukraine responded by saying, "no, we overran them and forced them out. And we recorded it. Here's the video"

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This thread has gone quiet so small update...

A few days ago Ukraine declared that they were on the verge of taking Snake Island. Russia responded by saying that there was a small force but Russia annihilated them.

Yesterday Russia stated that as a good will gesture, they withdrew their forces from Snake Island to allow Ukraine to have it. Ukraine responded by saying, "no, we overran them and forced them out. And we recorded it. Here's the video"
I find Putin's response to Finland and Sweden entering NATO interesting.

He's not bothered ...

What does that tell us?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh also.... Turkey has now accepted Sweden and Finland's bid to join NATO. Which means that they could join NATO at any stage. Russia responded by again threatening to nuke them.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I find Putin's response to Finland and Sweden entering NATO interesting.

He's not bothered ...

What does that tell us?
Apparently he said that he would respond symmetrically to any NATO build up in those countries. But of a step down from nuking, but he's still suggesting responding with military might.