Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Upgrade his contract now if he knocks it back off Munster a deal. Gus needs to sort it asap or we could be left with neither

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait for them to roll out the excuse of he doesn’t want to play for a bottom team. Lol he wants to be part of the rebuild. But fuck me. He must of rejected us because he wants out. He’s not putting in and he looks angry during games. He’s that angry when we score he jumps over his teammates punching air.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From my sponsor source...

He Was told to not take up the option in 2024 BY US and we will offer him a 5 year contract.

This Is Gus just looking after our most valuable player.
I bet Gus told him to announce it just to fuck with the Murdoch journos

Get dickheads like buzz and Kent to make announcements that Burton is leaving us and then Gus announces a 5 year contract with Burton to make those idiots look stupid

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To resign him though, I think we will probably see TPJ leave, Thompson definitely gone, and Jackson would be to re-sign on less. All for the greater good though, as long as we keep Burton, that's the main thing. He is that good.
Jacko won’t be re-signed mate. His contract is up at the end of 2023 and he’ll be almost 33 by then. A loyal servant and one of my favourite Bulldogs of the last decade but he’s almost at the end.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It makes zero sense for him to take up the option. Its smart business and his manager wouldnt be doing their job properly if he re-signed.

By declining his option he can talk to other team from November. Cashed up clubs will be throwing stupid money at him. Then it will be up to gus and the coach to convince him why its best for him to remain at the dogs.

Let not forget he probably wont make a decision on his future until around 6-10 so he can see how we are going, see if we have potential to be a threat in the near future and most importantly of all see how close to the "stupid offers" we can get. I have no doubt a dolphin will be throwing 1.2 million at him. Say 5 year 6 million. So we need to convince him why 3 years 2.7 is better for him and then his next contract can be a monster.

Very smart moves by his manager. Who ever it is has set him up to be one of the most sought after players which will result in long term security if he wants it.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubt he will leave. Look at all the attention he is getting playing in a big club with a rich history and we are at the bottom of the table. Imagine next season if we start winning games and are in the top 8.

All due respect to Penrith, great team, but the club itself is a shit stain. Nobody cares about Penrith.

To resign him though, I think we will probably see TPJ leave, Thompson definitely gone, and Jackson would be to re-sign on less. All for the greater good though, as long as we keep Burton, that's the main thing. He is that good.
By 2024 a lot of the deadwood here would be gone. The should clear enough space to keep Burton upgraded and key players like TPJ.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Doubt he will leave. Look at all the attention he is getting playing in a big club with a rich history and we are at the bottom of the table. Imagine next season if we start winning games and are in the top 8.

All due respect to Penrith, great team, but the club itself is a shit stain. Nobody cares about Penrith.

This is for 2024 onwards….Thompson is off contract along with Jacko and basically everyone else currently. We have Kiraz, Mahoney, Kikau, TPJ, Max King, JAC, Sutton on the books that year. Plenty of money for Burton and either Averillo or a fullback. Then juniors coming through to fill some spots. Still room for another big name prop or 2.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Obviously not going to take up his option, he's worth more money. Gus will pay him what he's worth.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why do people actually bite on this crap?

Watch Gus’s comments about this subject ever since he got here. He is so overly cocky about it because he has it in the bag. I have been expecting the announcement any day now of his massive extension. It’s been building for weeks with Gus’s words and smirks.

Don’t be surprised if the deal sealer was Gus calling his good mate Freddy to order a sky blue jersey…..

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Upgrade his contract now if he knocks it back off Munster a deal. Gus needs to sort it asap or we could be left with neither
I like the idea of offering Burton and Munster a deal.
First one to agree gets the contract.
The other misses out.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing story. He wouldn’t take up a 500k deal when he is worth double that. Give him $1m and offer 5 years and I think he will stay

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ's on contract and prob not going anywhere. thommo can go, on too much coin. will leave us a bit light on for middles though wont it?