Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go for a 7 year contract but Burton would be silly to sign that.

5 years is perfect.
at the moment it’s looking like he’s loving the dogs but thats most likely because we’re winning lol

Malla

Reaction score
What Bulldogs must do to keep Matt Burton

Canterbury’s ability to entice Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo to take the vacant head coach role at the Bulldogs could be crucial in keeping Matt Burton at the club long term.

It’s believed Burton won’t take up the player option for season 2024 meaning the star five-eighth will be one of the hottest prospects on the open market from November 1.

A standout performance on Sunday night for NSW would only further peak interest from NRL rivals.

Trent Barrett, who quit in May, was able to leverage the strong bond forged with Burton during their time at Penrith together to lure the Dubbo junior to Belmore on a two-year deal that had an option for a third season.

Matt Burton is hot property, but can the Bulldogs convince him to stay?

Matt Burton is hot property, but can the Bulldogs convince him to stay?

Now, Canterbury’s ability to attract another of the Panthers’ assistants in Ciraldo could be key in securing Burton beyond season 2023.

“I personally haven’t heard anything about him coming to Belmore so we will have to wait and see what happens. He’d be great at Canterbury,” Burton said.

“Ciro is an awesome coach. He’s a really smart guy, he’s got a great football brain. He is also a really good communicator, the way he gets his point across and the way he addresses things is clear, that makes it easy to know exactly what your job is.

“I think the best thing about his coaching style is how personal he is with the players.

“He’ll come up to you after training and let you know how you’re going and what areas you need to work on and improve. He can be very meticulous.”

Ciraldo, the NRL’s best up and coming coach, is also a target at the Wests Tigers, who have offered a five-year deal at Concord.

Cameron Ciraldo could convince Matt Burton to stay — if he takes up the vacant coaching role at the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty Images

Cameron Ciraldo could convince Matt Burton to stay — if he takes up the vacant coaching role at the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty Images

St Helens and Tonga coach Kristian Woolf is also keen to snare an NRL head coach role and is on Canterbury’s radar to fill the vacancy left by Barrett.

Burton was tight-lipped about the nature of conversations had with Barrett since quit but revealed he was ‘devastated’ to see the coach walk away.

“I rang him when he left, we had a few words, I’ll leave the conversation between us, I mostly wished him all the best. He was emotional, as you would be … he did a lot for the club and a lot for me too. I’m sure if he wanted to coach again in the future, he can,” Burton said.

“Baz is a great bloke and was a great coach. It was pretty devastating to be honest, the way it happened. I think we accept that’s football at the end of the day.

“But we have had to move on as a team. Mick Potter has stepped into that role at the moment and has been doing a good job too.”

Burton said so far there had been no formal extension talks with Canterbury management about a new deal with the club.

Burton is key figure in the Bulldogs’ future. Picture: Getty Images

Burton is key figure in the Bulldogs’ future. Picture: Getty Images

The 22-year old also wants to get a gauge on how the club’s 2023 recruits, backrower Viliame Kikau and hooker Reed Mahoney, will help transform the struggling outfit on the field.

“Haven’t spoken about any of that yet, I don’t think there is a rush … I am just focused on playing good footy … getting the job done on Sunday and playing good footy for the Bulldogs,” Burton said.

“It’s going to be awesome to have Kiks there and Reed next year. They are going to add another dimension to our side, which I am really excited to see what they can do for Canterbury.”

lol only thing this confirms is Gus doing everything to get Ciraldo

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From my sponsor source...

He Was told to not take up the option in 2024 BY US and we will offer him a 5 year contract.

This Is Gus just looking after our most valuable player.
Gus has said since he took over that he'll always pay a player what they're worth and that Burton would be top priority. I've never thought that he'd go anywhere else. The fact that we've signed Mahoney and Kikau, he got selected for Origin and we're finally winning games all makes it even less likely he'll leave.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
lol only thing this confirms is Gus doing everything to get Ciraldo
I think we will get him tbh. Makes sense has been quiet about the whole coaching situation.

On 100% footy when Gould was asked if he has met/spoken with Ciraldo... He said no I haven't, but he paused before answering and seemed sheepish.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Gus has said since he took over that he'll always pay a player what they're worth and that Burton would be top priority. I've never thought that he'd go anywhere else. The fact that we've signed Mahoney and Kikau, he got selected for Origin and we're finally winning games all makes it even less likely he'll leave.
100% bro.

By us telling him not to take the option and go for a big contract shows duty of care to him, another reason for him not to leave.

Malla

Reaction score
Doubt he will leave. Look at all the attention he is getting playing in a big club with a rich history and we are at the bottom of the table. Imagine next season if we start winning games and are in the top 8.

All due respect to Penrith, great team, but the club itself is a shit stain. Nobody cares about Penrith.

To resign him though, I think we will probably see TPJ leave, Thompson definitely gone, and Jackson would be to re-sign on less. All for the greater good though, as long as we keep Burton, that's the main thing. He is that good.

Malla

Reaction score
I think we will get him tbh. Makes sense has been quiet about the whole coaching situation.

On 100% footy when Gould was asked if he has met/spoken with Ciraldo... He said no I haven't, but he paused before answering and seemed sheepish.
Yeah always been the case. The Freddy stuff is a smoke screen, nothing more. It kind of worked because people truly believed that Freddy would be the next coach.

I reckon our form over the last couple weeks has helped as well. Winning games, playing better footy, coming together as a team, even reggies is absolutely killing it. Gould is a God its like he knew all this shit would happen.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should upgrade him for 2023 as part of a new contract. He is being underpaid and we should rectify that for 2023 as part of an extension.

Malla

Reaction score
We should upgrade him for 2023 as part of a new contract. He is being underpaid and we should rectify that for 2023 as part of an extension.
I think this is probably what will happen. From November this year he can negotiate, as he will decline his player option for 2024.

He will get a mil a year.

Thompson will go back to UK.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Doubt he will leave. Look at all the attention he is getting playing in a big club with a rich history and we are at the bottom of the table. Imagine next season if we start winning games and are in the top 8.

All due respect to Penrith, great team, but the club itself is a shit stain. Nobody cares about Penrith.

To resign him though, I think we will probably see TPJ leave, Thompson definitely gone, and Jackson would be to re-sign on less. All for the greater good though, as long as we keep Burton, that's the main thing. He is that good.
TPJ isn't leaving, he is part of our plans for 2023 and beyond.