Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because it was always time be expected.. Why would he take up a player option on a contract that is paying him less than what he could get on the open market and after he made Origin?

That doesn't mean he won't or doesn't want to re-sign.. It's just business. He's trying to get an upgrade and I'm sure Gus will pay him what he's worth. Settle down. Don't overreact.. The club will do everything they can to lock him up long term and he seems happy at the club.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
His fucken agent trying to start a bidding war

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What Bulldogs must do to keep Matt Burton

Canterbury’s ability to entice Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo to take the vacant head coach role at the Bulldogs could be crucial in keeping Matt Burton at the club long term.

It’s believed Burton won’t take up the player option for season 2024 meaning the star five-eighth will be one of the hottest prospects on the open market from November 1.

A standout performance on Sunday night for NSW would only further peak interest from NRL rivals.

Trent Barrett, who quit in May, was able to leverage the strong bond forged with Burton during their time at Penrith together to lure the Dubbo junior to Belmore on a two-year deal that had an option for a third season.

Matt Burton is hot property, but can the Bulldogs convince him to stay?

Now, Canterbury’s ability to attract another of the Panthers’ assistants in Ciraldo could be key in securing Burton beyond season 2023.

“I personally haven’t heard anything about him coming to Belmore so we will have to wait and see what happens. He’d be great at Canterbury,” Burton said.

“Ciro is an awesome coach. He’s a really smart guy, he’s got a great football brain. He is also a really good communicator, the way he gets his point across and the way he addresses things is clear, that makes it easy to know exactly what your job is.

“I think the best thing about his coaching style is how personal he is with the players.

“He’ll come up to you after training and let you know how you’re going and what areas you need to work on and improve. He can be very meticulous.”

Ciraldo, the NRL’s best up and coming coach, is also a target at the Wests Tigers, who have offered a five-year deal at Concord.

Cameron Ciraldo could convince Matt Burton to stay — if he takes up the vacant coaching role at the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty Images

Cameron Ciraldo could convince Matt Burton to stay — if he takes up the vacant coaching role at the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty Images

St Helens and Tonga coach Kristian Woolf is also keen to snare an NRL head coach role and is on Canterbury’s radar to fill the vacancy left by Barrett.

Burton was tight-lipped about the nature of conversations had with Barrett since quit but revealed he was ‘devastated’ to see the coach walk away.

“I rang him when he left, we had a few words, I’ll leave the conversation between us, I mostly wished him all the best. He was emotional, as you would be … he did a lot for the club and a lot for me too. I’m sure if he wanted to coach again in the future, he can,” Burton said.

“Baz is a great bloke and was a great coach. It was pretty devastating to be honest, the way it happened. I think we accept that’s football at the end of the day.

“But we have had to move on as a team. Mick Potter has stepped into that role at the moment and has been doing a good job too.”

Burton said so far there had been no formal extension talks with Canterbury management about a new deal with the club.

Burton is key figure in the Bulldogs’ future. Picture: Getty Images

The 22-year old also wants to get a gauge on how the club’s 2023 recruits, backrower Viliame Kikau and hooker Reed Mahoney, will help transform the struggling outfit on the field.

“Haven’t spoken about any of that yet, I don’t think there is a rush … I am just focused on playing good footy … getting the job done on Sunday and playing good footy for the Bulldogs,” Burton said.

“It’s going to be awesome to have Kiks there and Reed next year. They are going to add another dimension to our side, which I am really excited to see what they can do for Canterbury.”

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wasn’t sure what the article entirely meant, hopefully it’s this lol
yeh bit of a nothing article and designed to bait all us canterbury fans. Pay him what he wants, lock him up for another 5 years. Spine position that we should shell out the big bucks for to keep him and he's clearly worth it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What Bulldogs must do to keep Matt Burton

Canterbury’s ability to entice Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo to take the vacant head coach role at the Bulldogs could be crucial in keeping Matt Burton at the club long term.

It’s believed Burton won’t take up the player option for season 2024 meaning the star five-eighth will be one of the hottest prospects on the open market from November 1.

A standout performance on Sunday night for NSW would only further peak interest from NRL rivals.

Trent Barrett, who quit in May, was able to leverage the strong bond forged with Burton during their time at Penrith together to lure the Dubbo junior to Belmore on a two-year deal that had an option for a third season.

Now, Canterbury’s ability to attract another of the Panthers’ assistants in Ciraldo could be key in securing Burton beyond season 2023.

“I personally haven’t heard anything about him coming to Belmore so we will have to wait and see what happens. He’d be great at Canterbury,” Burton said.

“Ciro is an awesome coach. He’s a really smart guy, he’s got a great football brain. He is also a really good communicator, the way he gets his point across and the way he addresses things is clear, that makes it easy to know exactly what your job is.

“I think the best thing about his coaching style is how personal he is with the players.

“He’ll come up to you after training and let you know how you’re going and what areas you need to work on and improve. He can be very meticulous.”

Ciraldo, the NRL’s best up and coming coach, is also a target at the Wests Tigers, who have offered a five-year deal at Concord.

St Helens and Tonga coach Kristian Woolf is also keen to snare an NRL head coach role and is on Canterbury’s radar to fill the vacancy left by Barrett.

Burton was tight-lipped about the nature of conversations had with Barrett since quit but revealed he was ‘devastated’ to see the coach walk away.

“I rang him when he left, we had a few words, I’ll leave the conversation between us, I mostly wished him all the best. He was emotional, as you would be … he did a lot for the club and a lot for me too. I’m sure if he wanted to coach again in the future, he can,” Burton said.

“Baz is a great bloke and was a great coach. It was pretty devastating to be honest, the way it happened. I think we accept that’s football at the end of the day.

“But we have had to move on as a team. Mick Potter has stepped into that role at the moment and has been doing a good job too.”

Burton said so far there had been no formal extension talks with Canterbury management about a new deal with the club.

The 22-year old also wants to get a gauge on how the club’s 2023 recruits, backrower Viliame Kikau and hooker Reed Mahoney, will help transform the struggling outfit on the field.

“Haven’t spoken about any of that yet, I don’t think there is a rush … I am just focused on playing good footy … getting the job done on Sunday and playing good footy for the Bulldogs,” Burton said.

“It’s going to be awesome to have Kiks there and Reed next year. They are going to add another dimension to our side, which I am really excited to see what they can do for Canterbury.”

"It's believed" means they have no fkn idea.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my sponsor source...

He Was told to not take up the option in 2024 BY US and we will offer him a 5 year contract.

This Is Gus just looking after our most valuable player.
a 5 year contract would put my heart at rest
lol everyone's on the same page re 5 year deal - didn't expect that from the Kennel :tearsofjoy: