Rumour Jayden Okunbor News

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't see the issue with an 18 year old being the HB. If he's good enough, he's good enough. The kid has skills you can only dream of

Yes you have had some decent touches but there are still massive holes in your game. Your kicking game is meh, your running game is non existent and your passing game needs a lot of work. I'm surprised daddy hasn't helped you fix these areas

I'd have BBO at HB for the rest of the year. He's better than you in virtually all areas. I assume the only reason you're playing NRL is because Gus wants you in the shop window to make it easier to get rid of you
If I'm as bad as you seem to be suggesting, logic would dictate that putting me in the "shop window" would only make it harder to get rid of me. I think that's nonsense, man. If Gus thought BBO was ready, he'd be in the team.

And no, nothing wrong with playing an 18 year old at halfback if they are ready, but halfbacks seldom are at that age. We don't really need a great kicking game out of Flanno with Burton doing almost all of our kicking, but the few kicks he put in on the weekend were mostly alright. His running game is not non existent, he has been taking the line on more this year and that is benefiting his passing game, which is good - clearly his biggest strength.

He quite simply isn't as bad as so many of you suggest, and he's our halfback at least until the end of the year. Very possibly in 2023 too. As long as people keep blasting him with over the top criticism, I'll keep blowing his trumpet.

You'd think after ll the disappointment we've had in recent years, people could just enjoy the past two wins and stop being negative for a bit.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's a bit cynical. Who says they aren't part of the reason we are winning? Flanno has been steering the team around pretty well... if the team was rudderless, we wouldn't be winning. And Allan has been important for us defensively. He also showed some nice touches in attack on Sunday. I don't think they are playing better because we are winning. I think they are playing better for the same reasons most of the squad is playing better - better coaching, growing team spirit and the confidence which comes with those two things. Just look at how much Elliott has improved under a better coach for evidence of that.

If we made a grand final with Hodkinson, no reason we can't do so with Flanno. Hodko was far from a superstar. He was a no fuss, unflashy organiser with dicky knees, and even managed to help the Blues to an origin series win. You don't need an elite halfback to build a winning team if you have the right players around them. If we can sign a top line halfback down the track, all good, but the reality is, there's nobody available who fits that bill right now. And we shouldn't be rushing to sign someone who wouldn't be a significant upgrade. I'm not saying he has to be here for 10 years....just that there isn't a better alternative right now, he is not on much money by halfback standards and he is playing decent footy.... so people should stop piling shit on him.
This is a ridiculous comparison. It doesn't make a lick of sense. Everyone knows Frankie Pritchard was the real halfback. :P

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous comparison. It doesn't make a lick of sense. Everyone knows Frankie Pritchard was the real halfback. :P
Lol like I said, you don't have backrowers and props playing halfback if your real number 7 is Andrew Johns.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate. Even the Great Bellamy cant change dickifingers back to normal fingers
Bellamy might see Okunbor as his ultimate challenge. It has been said that Bellyache cannot be ranked among the great coaches because he has only coached the one team. If he can turn Okunbor into a superstar a footballer (let's not get carried away), his legacy is assured.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bellamy might see Okunbor as his ultimate challenge. It has been said that Bellyache cannot be ranked among the great coaches because he has only coached the one team. If he can turn Okunbor into a superstar a footballer (let's not get carried away), his legacy is assured.
Has Bellamy ever failed in improving a player?

Does Kasiano count as a fail?

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Has Bellamy ever failed in improving a player?

Does Kasiano count as a fail?
Yes and yes.

Bellamy doesn't like bludgers. He works players hard in training and insists they work hard in matches. I suspect he lays out what he wants from them as individuals in very simple terms and lets them know if he thinks they are falling short. Big Sam had (has) loads of ability but was never one of the World's great workers. I can see him butting heads with Bellamy.

I can also see him making Okunbor a better player, but I could not imagine enough improvement to cause us to regret letting him go.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a scoop. It wasn't hard to pick he isn't wanted, seeing as he hasn't been in the side for weeks.