Rumour Jayden Okunbor News

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You're the funniest lol

I wouldn't say they are not contributing, but it's because the team is winning.

I've said it to you before, I like some of Flanno's off the ball work, defense, scrambling defense, his 1%'s. He does contribute to the team. But we can't have him long term. If we're ever going to be a top 4 side and challenge for the premiership our halfback needs to posses exceptional attacking capabilities and a strong leader. He just doesn't have that bro.
That's a bit cynical. Who says they aren't part of the reason we are winning? Flanno has been steering the team around pretty well... if the team was rudderless, we wouldn't be winning. And Allan has been important for us defensively. He also showed some nice touches in attack on Sunday. I don't think they are playing better because we are winning. I think they are playing better for the same reasons most of the squad is playing better - better coaching, growing team spirit and the confidence which comes with those two things. Just look at how much Elliott has improved under a better coach for evidence of that.

If we made a grand final with Hodkinson, no reason we can't do so with Flanno. Hodko was far from a superstar. He was a no fuss, unflashy organiser with dicky knees, and even managed to help the Blues to an origin series win. You don't need an elite halfback to build a winning team if you have the right players around them. If we can sign a top line halfback down the track, all good, but the reality is, there's nobody available who fits that bill right now. And we shouldn't be rushing to sign someone who wouldn't be a significant upgrade. I'm not saying he has to be here for 10 years....just that there isn't a better alternative right now, he is not on much money by halfback standards and he is playing decent footy.... so people should stop piling shit on him.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's a bit cynical. Who says they aren't part of the reason we are winning? Flanno has been steering the team around pretty well... if the team was rudderless, we wouldn't be winning. And Allan has been important for us defensively. He also showed some nice touches in attack on Sunday. I don't think they are playing better because we are winning. I think they are playing better for the same reasons most of the squad is playing better - better coaching, growing team spirit and the confidence which comes with those two things. Just look at how much Elliott has improved under a better coach for evidence of that.

If we made a grand final with Hodkinson, no reason we can't do so with Flanno. Hodko was far from a superstar. He was a no fuss, unflashy organiser with dicky knees, and even managed to help the Blues to an origin series win. You don't need an elite halfback to build a winning team if you have the right players around them. If we can sign a top line halfback down the track, all good, but the reality is, there's nobody available who fits that bill right now. And we shouldn't be rushing to sign someone who wouldn't be a significant upgrade. I'm not saying he has to be here for 10 years....just that there isn't a better alternative right now, he is not on much money by halfback standards and he is playing decent footy.... so people should stop piling shit on him.
Hodko > Flanno

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hodko > Flanno
I'm not so sure about that. I think Flanno has a higher ceiling. He already gets more involved than Hodko does. Hodko averaged 20 touched a game for long periods of his career. Although I think he could have been much better if his body had not let him down. People look back on his tenure with rose coloured glasses, but the role he played in our side was pretty basic. We had props and backrowers who did just as much organising and more playmaking than he did.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. I think Flanno has a higher ceiling. He already gets more involved than Hodko does. Hodko averaged 20 touched a game for long periods of his career. Although I think he could have been much better if his body had not let him down. People look back on his tenure with rose coloured glasses, but the role he played in our side was pretty basic. We had props and backrowers who did just as much organising and more playmaking than he did.
He averaged low touches because we specifically played through Graham and Tolman as first receiver

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Who else?
Well what I got told is up to 10 players got told that either they need to find another club and or to improve to be here beyond this year.

All I know that the majority that got told have their contracts finishing this year or 2023.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He averaged low touches because we specifically played through Graham and Tolman as first receiver
Sure.... but I think you've got to ask why did Hasler having us doing that? Because he was aware of the strengths of our forwards, partly. But also because he was aware of Hodko's limitations. He realised our forwards were a much more potent attacking threat. I bet out halfback would have been handling the ball a lot more if it had been someone like DCE.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
FFS....the passive aggressive laugh reactors are out in force today. What's up @Family Guy and @BahaMan? Lunar cycle, or menstrual?

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Mate you’re one of the worlds great dribblers. Flanno has not been steering shit around. You can’t say the blokes ceiling is high when he struggles to execute basic league fundamentals let alone halfback fundamentals after 50 odd first grade games. Your posts are ruining my kennel experience and my day.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.

Flanno is looking more at home every week and is performing his role in the team well.... but the pitchfork wielders here think he is diabolical.

Our whole team has struggled with fitness and conditioning here..... so it's not much surprise that Allan piled on some kegs during a fairly long injury layoff. He is looking better and fitter each week, though...as you say. It was pretty electric when he stormed onto that kick and ran half the length of the field on Sunday.
Listen Kyle, I suggest you watch the U-19 origin game tonight because the QLD 7 will be your replacement. If it's not in 23 it will be in 24.

Even if it's not him then it will be someone else. Gus doesn't rate you otherwise he wouldn't be looking for a long term 7.

Your lack of vision cost us 2 or 3 tries against the Tigers so do us a favour and piss off to England so daddy can come and coach us

Be grateful that you, and a few other plodders, got to play in the NRL. It's more than most of us will ever dream of. You're not NRL quality, so it's time to move on and find a new career.

BTW, when you move on to your next character, how about choosing someone who's not a plodder or a fuckwit.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Listen Kyle, I suggest you watch the U-19 origin game tonight because the QLD 7 will be your replacement. If it's not in 23 it will be in 24.

Even if it's not him then it will be someone else. Gus doesn't rate you otherwise he wouldn't be looking for a long term 7.

Your lack of vision cost us 2 or 3 tries against the Tigers so do us a favour and piss off to England so daddy can come and coach us

Be grateful that you, and a few other plodders, got to play in the NRL. It's more than most of us will ever dream of. You're not NRL quality, so it's time to move on and find a new career.

BTW, when you move on to your next character, how about choosing someone who's not a plodder or a fuckwit.
Sure....an 18 year old will be our halfback next year. It takes time for players to develop....I'd say 2024 at the very earliest. So what is your solution in the short term, super coach? The side is just starting to gel....wrong options will be taken on occasions.... and of course you conveniently choose to overlook Flanno's numerous good touches.... and the good job he has been doing steering the team around the park.

The thing you don't seem to realise is my own use of hyperbole is a direct reaction to the hyberbole of this forum's Negative Nelly contingent, of which you certainly are one, good sir.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure.... but I think you've got to ask why did Hasler having us doing that? Because he was aware of the strengths of our forwards, partly. But also because he was aware of Hodko's limitations. He realised our forwards were a much more potent attacking threat. I bet out halfback would have been handling the ball a lot more if it had been someone like DCE.
Hodko had limitations but the advantage of having a big body that can ball-play is how deep they can dig into the line without the same concern of getting hit, while still having a half on either side to distribute the ball.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mate you’re one of the worlds great dribblers. Flanno has not been steering shit around. You can’t say the blokes ceiling is high when he struggles to execute basic league fundamentals let alone halfback fundamentals after 50 odd first grade games. Your posts are ruining my kennel experience and my day.
Lol are you that blinded by your own excessive hatred of the guy that you can't even acknowledge that he has been doing the lion's share whgen it comes to organising and directing the team? You're cooked, buddy.

Sorry to hear I am "ruining your kennel experience"..... Seriously, I'm ruining your experience by giving my opinion? What sort of snowflake are you? If you were a little brighter, it might occur to you to use the block function.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hodko had limitations but the advantage of having a big body that can ball-play is how deep they can dig into the line without the same concern of getting hit, while still having a half on either side to distribute the ball.
Oh I get that utilising the strengths of our forwards was a big part of the tactic..... but I also think that if Hodko didn't have those limitations, he would have been utilised more..... our attack grew more stale the more opposition team's figured it out....another dimension to our attack would have worked wonders.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure....an 18 year old will be our halfback next year. It takes time for players to develop....I'd say 2024 at the very earliest. So what is your solution in the short term, super coach? The side is just starting to gel....wrong options will be taken on occasions.... and of course you conveniently choose to overlook Flanno's numerous good touches.... and the good job he has been doing steering the team around the park.

The thing you don't seem to realise is my own use of hyperbole is a direct reaction to the hyberbole of this forum's Negative Nelly contingent, of which you certainly are one, good sir.
I don't see the issue with an 18 year old being the HB. If he's good enough, he's good enough. The kid has skills you can only dream of

Yes you have had some decent touches but there are still massive holes in your game. Your kicking game is meh, your running game is non existent and your passing game needs a lot of work. I'm surprised daddy hasn't helped you fix these areas

I'd have BBO at HB for the rest of the year. He's better than you in virtually all areas. I assume the only reason you're playing NRL is because Gus wants you in the shop window to make it easier to get rid of you