Opinion Coaching Process

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
no he doesn't, nor should he
He does. And should :grinning:

Immediate improvement, even if minor, is just as important as Gus' 5 year plan.

He has responsibility for whole of club welfare and success, as well as pathways and hiring and firing hapless coaches with no real chance of success.

Let's have a Gus lead change of attitude at the club now and get the toughen up show on the road.

Malla

Reaction score
He had no say in Furner’s appointment, he was one of the candidates for Head coach - their relationship was frosty at best, Barrett undermined Furner’s input in the defensive structures
?????

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He does. And should :grinning:

Immediate improvement, even if minor, is just as important as Gus' 5 year plan.

He has responsibility for whole of club welfare and success, as well as pathways and hiring and firing hapless coaches with no real chance of success.

Let's have a Gus lead change of attitude at the club now and get the toughen up show on the road.
Gus has not coached for many years. I'm not sure him having coaching responsibilities helps anything tbh. He needs to focus all his energy on getting the right coach, recruiting the right players and ensuring the right development pathways are in place to ensure we are never in this position again

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Irrespective of what Potter has said in regards to being interested in the full time job, he’s the only one who perfectly fits the brief Gus outlined immediately following Barrett’s sacking (including knowing the Bulldog way, has 1st coaching experience).

Perhaps Gould has mentioned a September deadline in order for Potter to show Gus he’s the guy. Perhaps Potter has said he’s happy just to caretake until the end of the year to focus on the next few months without the media scrutiny.

I have no idea which way Gould moves in this, however if there is a list of potential full time coaches, I’d be having Potter on it for now, as he’s the only bloke the media isn’t speculating on.
Potter would be an abysmal selection as full-time coach

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus has not coached for many years. I'm not sure him having coaching responsibilities helps anything tbh. He needs to focus all his energy on getting the right coach, recruiting the right players and ensuring the right development pathways are in place to ensure we are never in this position again
I did acknowledge that and said coach in conjunction with Potter ..but far more hands on than present.

Unless he decides to get out there on the field at training etc etc and get these guys more focussed, then who can see any improvement in the teams poor performances?

Seems pretty obvious that he needs to personally get in there and make things start happening.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's quite obvious they made him walk with a juicy 500k payout, just like how the previous board made Pay walk out with a pay out......because if they really did leave "on their own terms", they would not of received a payout
Barrett was not an employee, he was a contractor and, as with terminating all contracts, both parties have to agree. Which means compromise from those involved.

My question is with the timing of all this?
Why would you sack Barrett, give him a payout and than bring in Potter for half a season and upgrade his contract to reflect that of a first grade coach....
You just contradicted you own argument, obviously Barrett wanted to leave and wasn't sacked.

More to the point who the fark cares who gets paid what on the coaching staff, there is no Salary Cap, you just pay a "tax" to the NRL if you exceed it. The fact is we have plenty of money, thanks to a very profitable leagues club, so no one give a shit about what coach gets paid what or when.

Wouldn't you leave Barrett until the end of 2022 and than give him his marching orders? It doesn't make sense if the club will "hopefully" have a coach by September, which means that it is likely a current contracted coach while sacking Barrett half way through the year?
Again further evidence that your claim of Barrett being sacked is illogical.

Could it be that the club already had a handshake agreement with a coach before Barrett was sacked?
Almost anything is possible, but it doesn't seem likely.

Could it be there is a current contracted coach who has cornered Gus to act now, giving him a guarantee that the job is vacant, instead of waiting until the end of the year where it "might" be vacant?
There would be nothing stopping a current coach from formally applying for the gig, coaches don't have a November 1 deadline, they can sign anytime they like (as long as their current contract doesn't preclude it). Sign up now and then take up the role when the preseason starts is quite common.

I find it hard to believe that a NRL club would sack their head coach half way through the year, in "hope" with replacing him with a contracted coach at the end of the year
There is no "hope" involved, there are plenty of aspiring NRL coaches, those that are assistant coaches aspiring to move up to head coach, those that are head coaches out of a job and those that are coaching at an inferior club that aspire to coach the mighty Bulldogs.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I don't think Pay walked with a pay out. I think he just walked. Pretty sure he walked because he was told he would not be considered beyond his contract which was due to expire that same season.
Pay would of got a payout to keep his mouth shut
that's how things work

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The longer this aimlessly undecided, faux search for a first grade coach goes on, and secondly, we don't make meaningful change from the playing style and selections of the previous unsuccessful coach....the sillier it appears that our coaching problems were not, and have not, been fixed by Gus as our first step to working our way out of this hole.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Job was just too big for him.

He is a great attacking coach, but I think managing people is where he struggles and I don't know what he see's in Furner and Ferris but they do him no favours. If he's ever to get back into coaching, he really needs to think about who he surrounds himself with.
Agree. I really think he should have tried to coach at Wigan (his former club) after the Manly debacle. I guess the lure of NRL was too strong.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate we all know that.

That was the premise of him being hired to fix the joint.

But

It's gone further downhill and he needs to intervene fully in fixing the problems now...not into the future.

We don't have the time to complete studies and best case scenarios and 5 year plans, whilst languishing at the bottom of the pile.

Something needs to be done NOW to improve the teams future. He needs to roll up his sleeves and address this most immediate need NOW.
THe lower grades are going backwards at the moment - im at a loss to work out Flegg selections and form - players who couldnt get game time in u19s get starting spots in u21s is just one of the mysteries.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
THe lower grades are going backwards at the moment - im at a loss to work out Flegg selections and form - players who couldnt get game time in u19s get starting spots in u21s is just one of the mysteries.
I guess swapping in and out and testing players abilities?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I did acknowledge that and said coach in conjunction with Potter ..but far more hands on than present.

Unless he decides to get out there on the field at training etc etc and get these guys more focussed, then who can see any improvement in the teams poor performances?

Seems pretty obvious that he needs to personally get in there and make things start happening.
The first problem is Wendy the more Gould gets involved in actual coaching the less likely we are to recruit a quality coach. Experienced NRL coaches will tolerate interference up to a point, but there is a line. We don't want to get a good coach and then have them leave because they can't do their job, their way.

Secondly it's not Gould's job, NRL coaching is full on full time role 24/7/365 and he needs the time and energy available to do the long term things that will ensure our success and lock it in for years to come. That's why he is here, he speaks so enthusiastically about bringing the young players up through their careers.

Thirdly Gould has said many many times that his time as an NRL coach is gone, he has reasons why he hasn't coached for 18 years.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess swapping in and out and testing players abilities?
A philosophy of trying as many players as possible to see who steps up is a possibility - the difference in the Fleggs best performance and worse performances is staggering. Danny Ghantous and Ediq A were the dummy halves early on and the side were doing well - they are now bench/ reserves or SYdney Shield and the side gets smashed

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also, people and especially in the media think Pay got sacked. How did Pay get sacked. In total he signed on for a 3 year contract and was told his contract will not be extended. So he walked. There was only about 8 games left in his final year of his contract and I’m sure the club would of paid him for the remaining 8 games as goodwill. It’s nothing out of the ordinary

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barrett undermined Furner’s input in the defensive structures
As much as I would love to Blame Barrett for our defence as well, in the last 3 games we have leaked 28 points as an average per game as opposed to the average of 20 points per game in Barretts last 3. Furner is rubbish and his track record also highlights that.

Malla

Reaction score
Pay would of got a payout to keep his mouth shut
that's how things work
No, there was no 'pay out'. He quit.

And keep his mouth shut about what? How shit of a coach he was? Nobody wants anything to do with him.

Malla

Reaction score
Also, people and especially in the media think Pay got sacked. How did Pay get sacked. In total he signed on for a 3 year contract and was told his contract will not be extended. So he walked. There was only about 8 games left in his final year of his contract and I’m sure the club would of paid him for the remaining 8 games as goodwill. It’s nothing out of the ordinary
Yep. He was not happy he wasn't being considered for a contract extension and he threw his toys out the cot and quit.

I am still curious to know what ole mate is talking about that we paid him hush money. What was Pay going to be hush about? Looolll

Malla

Reaction score
Agree. I really think he should have tried to coach at Wigan (his former club) after the Manly debacle. I guess the lure of NRL was too strong.
Yeah, again comes down to not having the right people around him. Gus was right to tell him he needs people around to support him - the irony of it all is Gus from afar knew the Dogs job was too big for Barrett and warned him off it, then ended up being the one to walk him out. Maybe Gus knew back then how it would pan out for both of them....

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould has enormous influence and an extensive network but i often wonder whether his evasiveness, vagueness and talking in riddles is because he is unsure or he wants to confuse others. Would be a challenge for coaches staff n players to understand what he wants if he communicates like that on a daily basis.

Is there more to him or is it as it was with George Costanza "less"