Rumour Flanagan and Sullivan could trade places in latest twist at Belmore

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A player swap between Canterbury halfback Kyle Flanagan and St George Illawarra counterpart Jayden Sullivan has been floated in a bid to solve the playmaking issues at both clubs.

The development has put Flanagan’s father, Shane, in an invidious position given he is part of the Dragons’ recruitment committee at a time when he has publicly put himself forward for the Bulldogs head-coaching position.

The blue and whites are looking for a long-term replacement for Trent Barrett, with interim Mick Potter taking the reins for the remainder of the season. It comes at a time when there is uncertainty over the future of Kyle Flanagan, who has been in and out of first grade during his stint at Belmore.

Flanagan is contracted until the end of next season, while Sullivan is signed to the Red V until the end of 2025. Sullivan has struggled to establish himself in coach Anthony Griffin’s side, making just four appearances off the bench, predominantly as a back-up hooker.

Given that Ben Hunt is the established halfback and Talatau Amone has been preferred as his halves partner, Sullivan would likely need to leave to consistently wear the No.7 jersey.

Kyle Flanagan’s role as Canterbury conductor has been under scrutiny almost from the moment he arrived at Belmore.

Complicating issues even further is the likelihood that Ben Hunt will be re-signed before his contract expires, limiting Sullivan’s chances of progression into the starting side.

Speaking on the weekend, Shane Flanagan said he could deal with the potential conflicts of interest in coaching at the Bulldogs while his son is on the books.

“I coached for two or three years at the Sharks,” Shane Flanagan told 2GB. “I brought Matt Moylan in and Chad Townsend as the current halves at that stage after James Moloney left.

“At that stage, Kyle wasn’t ready to play first grade and I had no problems buying someone over [him]. He made his debut back in 2018 and he played some games here and there between ’18 and ’19. But if he’s not the best halfback in the club, no matter where I be at, he doesn’t play.”

Canterbury supremo Phil Gould has publicly stated the club requires an experienced coach for the role, limiting the availability options to the likes of Shane Flanagan and Paul Green. Jim Dymock, a former Bulldogs player and coach, is the only other potential candidate to publicly express an interest in the role.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as Shane Is still our Coach That’s all that matters. And if his son goes and he still takes the roll, then just shows he’s not only wanting it for that. !!

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This trade would be perfect because it means Shane can start here with absolutely nothing hanging over his head.
And also, Sullivan can run the ball unlike Kyle who looks severely arthritic

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How does this even make sense? Sullivan leaves because ben hunt is playing halfback. So how would Flanagan moving there do anything as hunt is taking his place too? Good for Sullivan but shithouse for Flanagan
agree it makes no sense, why would flannigan go there? shit article

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
No one has floated this idea bar the interns at Fox and even then they’ve given no reason for Kyle to go there lol.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think this is Shane trying to move him on from the club before he gets here to avoid the awkward dinner table conversation he would have to have about dropping him.
Dad's public comments stating he believes he could get the best out of me kind of piss in the face of this theory.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like bullshit in terms of a swap or their interest in Flanagan.

We were close to signing Sullivan a few years ago. I think he's got a future in the halves. I wouldn't complain if we got him on a cheap deal but I doubt they let him go.

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Load of rubbish article

People have got to understand that we are not nabbing a world class halfback as there is none on the market....

We have to find one from within and that could very well be Hayward....fingers crossed

We have already nabbed Burton and Mahoney so our fullback and halfback will need to come in from the lower grades

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think this is Shane trying to move him on from the club before he gets here to avoid the awkward dinner table conversation he would have to have about dropping him.
Maybe Dragons and Flanagan Jr are ok because he only has 1 year left then off to super league. Daddy is happy as it clears the decks for his arrival at Belmore. Bulldogs taking a chance on Sullivan (2025?) but given daddy’s on recruitment committee at dragons then maybe he actually rates Sullivan? Assumes snr is a lock for dogs coach