Rumour Burton Could Walk Out On Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs are facing a serious battle to keep their best player Matt Burton long term.

Two terrible losses to the Newcastle Knights at Magic Round and the Canberra Raiders the week before have left the Bulldogs at rock bottom, the first team since the South Queensland Crushers in 1996 not to score 100 points in the first 10 rounds.

They’ve gone backwards since Phil Gould arrived with new signings Burton, Josh Addo-Carr, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty and Brent Naden.

Matt Burton getting paid unders and losing games at the Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Nolan/Getty Images

Matt Burton getting paid unders and losing games at the Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Nolan/Getty Images

Interestingly Burton’s manager David Riolo says the outstanding five-eighth will more than likely test the open market at the end of the season.

He originally signed for only two years – at an average of $500,000 a season – with an option his way.

There is no doubt Burton could earn 40 per cent more at a rival club – and, importantly, improve his game at a stronger outfit with better coaching.

The Bulldogs have salary cap pressure and have made no move to extend or increase his contract.
I dont even fucking care. Our club is a mess, and wont ve improving any time soon. Id leave too if i was him!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good. Sign some real established leaders like Keary or Munster with the money he is on then the likes of BBO, Averillo, Rajab, Hayward can all benefit greatly from their experience and leadership.
Keary?
Really?
He is a running five eighth
Not a leader.
Will do nothing at the dogs to improve younger players.
Just like he doing nothing at the roosters.

Munster
The guy is also a running five eight.
And is a mug.
He ain't mentoring shit.

I'd rather keep Burton and build a team around him.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs are facing a serious battle to keep their best player Matt Burton long term.

Two terrible losses to the Newcastle Knights at Magic Round and the Canberra Raiders the week before have left the Bulldogs at rock bottom, the first team since the South Queensland Crushers in 1996 not to score 100 points in the first 10 rounds.

They’ve gone backwards since Phil Gould arrived with new signings Burton, Josh Addo-Carr, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty and Brent Naden.

Interestingly Burton’s manager David Riolo says the outstanding five-eighth will more than likely test the open market at the end of the season.

He originally signed for only two years – at an average of $500,000 a season – with an option his way.

There is no doubt Burton could earn 40 per cent more at a rival club – and, importantly, improve his game at a stronger outfit with better coaching.

The Bulldogs have salary cap pressure and have made no move to extend or increase his contract.
Lmao his contracted for 2023 and player option for 2024. The Bulldogs have 10 players of contract in 2024. Burton will get upgraded November 1 for 2024 around $800k a season

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Keary?
Really?
Not a leader.

Munster
And is a mug.
He ain't mentoring shit.

Lol

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Keary - finished
Munster - keep dreaming
BBO & Averillo - MASSIVELY overrated
Hayward & Rajab - Potential but a long way off
LOL keary finished. Just came off an ACL injury and he played really well against the titans and us. He is gradually finding his old form. People said that about reynolds and look how good he is going. It’s a slight risk but we desperately need an established big fish in our spine. How is BBO overrated? He has played one game at 6 wtf. Munster is a stretch but we have like 4 players past 2024 and thats when munster is off contract plus all of cotric, dwz deals are done so there is plenty of cap for a big fish like munster. It would be huge if we keep burton at a reasonable price and also sign munster or keary. It’s achievable.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If he wants to leave I say good luck to him he has had a lot of pressure put on his shoulders and had moments of class, hopefully he stays and helps guide our team to its former glory.
I think he'll stay and next season with a descent 7 guiding this team and the rubbish players gone Burton will be one of our best signings in years to come.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about we put Burton at 7 and BBO at 6?
Spine needs a mid season shuffle
Players are so disconnected it makes me sad .
What scares me more is the body language on tv at half time.
Time for a meeting of homes truths Baz ,Gus,khoury and Laundys underpants

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's so funny?
I don't mind you laughing at me. If you disagree or think I'm wrong, feel free to engage.
I'm more than open to challenging differences of opinions with you.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Keary?
Really?
Not a leader.

Munster
And is a mug.
He ain't mentoring shit.

Lol your clapped. People really dont get it do they. Burton can be as talented and as skilled as people jizz over but he will never achieve the value of a keary or a munster within an nrl club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What's so funny?
I don't mind you laughing at me. If you disagree or think I'm wrong, feel free to engage.
I'm more than open to challenging differences of opinions with you.
Munster and Keary are miles ahead of Burton and are both leaders, what a dumb comment.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol your clapped. People really dont get it do they. Burton can be as talented and as skilled as people jizz over but he will never achieve the value of a keary or a munster within an nrl club.
You don't know that?
He might do more.

He really does need a better team around him.
Munster and Keary started of in strong teams and remained in strong teams.

Burton looked pretty good at the panthers.

It's on our club to quickly build a roster around him.

He will be something special.
If we don't build him a team to work with I won't blame him from doing it elsewhere.

But he is way to good a player to just let him leave.

It's really up to our club to hang on to him.
Another Burton isn't waiting round the corner.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Munster and Keary are miles ahead of Burton and are both leaders, what a dumb comment.
Burton will be to.
Munster is a yobbo.
Not really a leader.
Keary,
He ain't doing much leading at the roosters.
What makes you think he will at the dogs.
My comment isn't dumb
Based on facts.
You can't hide from history.

Keary,
What's he doing right now at the roosters?

Munster a leader?
He leads by his actions on the field in a star studded team.
Not much setting of example and leading off it with his crap he does.
The guy is a mug.
I'd honestly rather keep Burton than pay overs for either of those 2 guys.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see him signing with anyone else until mid next year.. if we are still playing like shit this time next year he will leave for sure.

Reactions: DDR

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton will be to.
Munster is a yobbo.
Not really a leader.
Keary,
He ain't doing much leading at the roosters.
What makes you think he will at the dogs.
My comment isn't dumb
Based on facts.
You can't hide from history.

Keary,
What's he doing right now at the roosters?

Munster a leader?
He leads by his actions on the field in a star studded team.
Not much setting of example and leading off it with his crap he does.
The guy is a mug.
I'd honestly rather keep Burton than pay overs for either of those 2 guys.
I don't even know where to start here so I'm not even going to bother.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing article. Look around the world in every sport. Any decent player is absolutely stupid not to “test” their value on the market. It helps them get the best contract. Unless the Dogs Are offering top dollar off the bat why wouldn’t his manager do it? It’s all about getting the best deal…nothing about wanting to leave to go elsewhere.

By the way Burton walks out on the dogs every day.. when he goes home from training. He turns up the next day and does it again. I think we’re ok with that

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You don't know that?
He might do more.

He really does need a better team around him.
Munster and Keary started of in strong teams and remained in strong teams.

Burton looked pretty good at the panthers.

It's on our club to quickly build a roster around him.

He will be something special.
If we don't build him a team to work with I won't blame him from doing it elsewhere.

But he is way to good a player to just let him leave.

It's really up to our club to hang on to him.
Another Burton isn't waiting round the corner.
He has played one good game for us. He is overpaid at 550k now for how he has played. Now we keep hearing how we have to extend him and pay him even more money to just keep him here. Its seems fishy and something we should avoid. An overpay would be paying burton 700k for some extended years for someone who has played 1/10 good games at 6. If we want to get back to the top like other clubs, this isn’t the solution.