News Bulldogs directors losing patience with struggling Barrett

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould has been very public in his backing of Trent Barrett but has a new challenge on his hands with the brittle Canterbury board splintering when it comes to the coach.

It was always going to be tough for the loser of the wooden spoon clash at Magic Round on Friday night against the Knights; Bulldogs fans have turned on the club, and the board listens to what their fans are saying.

The club is sitting at the bottom of the table and is showing nothing in attack, an area of the game where Barrett is supposed to excel.

Barrett has barely won a game in his time at the Bulldogs, and no club or board can tolerate that. His record makes for dismal reading: three wins from 24 starts last year and two from 10 this campaign for just five victories in 34 games in all (15 per cent).

Gould will continue to support Barrett and won’t sack him.

The loss to Newcastle has rattled the coach, and the season is already taking its toll on him.
What’s worse for the coach is that he has overseen the majority of the recruits who are at the club.

I’ve asked Gould on numerous occasions about the Barrett strategy and he has backed him strongly. However, Dean Paywas shown the door with a far better record (19 wins from 57 starts), and this board doesn’t appear to be on the same page as the coach.

Embattled Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett.

Embattled Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett.

There are obvious contenders to replace Barrett, but it’s going to take whoever is in charge at least another 18 months of pain before the Bulldogs will see the light.

Big-name recruits Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney will arrive next year and Kikau has a strong connection with Barrett from their time at the Panthers. The club could also bring in fresh support for Barrett, but he already has the best coaching mind in the game at the club in Gould. While “Gus” has no desire to coach, that may be the best solution in terms of support for the coach.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Now weirdo is sinking the boot in.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll take the article with a grain of salt but if by chance Gus really believes Barrett is somehow going to change the clubs fortunes then he has lost the plot.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ll take the article with a grain of salt but if by chance Gus really believes Barrett is somehow going to change the clubs fortunes then he has lost the plot.
Imo, Gus will get rid of Baz and will try and get the best replacement possible. He has sacked many coaches over the years. The board will trust Gus to make the right call at the right time.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Gus will use the cover " trent looks tired " to move him on, his record speaks for itself and we cant afford to let this drag on

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'brittle Canterbury board'. I think it is more to do with Baz record and inability to improve the team than some mysterious factional bullshit in Weidler's head.
He’s getting the “so called good mail on the board” from Embittered & disillusioned Bulldogs fans venting on Facebook & the Kennel.
Grub of a journalist

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo, Gus will get rid of Baz and will try and get the best replacement possible. He has sacked many coaches over the years. The board will trust Gus to make the right call at the right time.
Baz won’t be sacked during the season; the immediate pressure is on his coaching staff Ferris Sandercock, & the medical/ rehab team

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Baz won’t be sacked during the season; the immediate pressure is on his coaching staff Ferris Sandercock, & the medical/ rehab team
He better be sacked. You will force guys like burton to not take up options as they see there career go down the gurgler while they are here.

As Gough Whitlam said. “It’s time”

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't it the directors that hired him in the first place.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever people want to say about the source, I'm glad these articles are being written.. It adds pressure on the club to act sooner.. With every loss more articles like this will be written which surely means it's only a matter of time til they act.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree bro. Sacking Baz mid season will appease lots of fans but not sure it improves results

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t disagree this could be where changes start to be made but where’s the accountability - these guys are Barrett’s hand picked staff. If Barrett is shielded then that’s on Gus and if Gus has total autonomy in the football department then that’s on JK. I don’t believe Weidler (no shock there) that there’s a board split on the issue but one can only hope there’s a plan in motion. They can’t not see what the rest of us see.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t disagree this could be where changes start to be made but where’s the accountability - these guys are Barrett’s hand picked staff. If Barrett is shielded then that’s on Gus and if Gus has total autonomy in the football department then that’s on JK. I don’t believe Weidler (no shock there) that there’s a board split on the issue but one can only hope there’s a plan in motion. They can’t not see what the rest of us see.
Not sure how Barrett’s being shielded. It’s Barrett that fronts up to post match pressers and have to justify the crap his weekly coaching produces week in week out. Barrett can’t hide & has to cop the scrutiny particularly from the Raiders & Knights embarrassments.
The problem is Barrett’s replacement…,
A loss against the Tigers on the other hand…….

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure how Barrett’s being shielded. It’s Barrett that fronts up to post match pressers and have to justify the crap his weekly coaching produces week in week out. Barrett can’t hide & has to cop the scrutiny from particularly from the Raiders & Knights embarrassments.
The problem is Barrett’s replacement…,
A loss against the Tigers on the other hand…….
You may remember Gus publicly telling Baz not to take the job in 2020 (after he’d signed). Yes I know that was more a shot at the Andersons than anything else but just two weeks ago Gus publicly commented that Barrett would be the ‘long term coach’ and ‘here long after I’m gone’. Now whilst those comments may have been by design, in my view he’s better to say nothing unless he IS actually shielding him.

I agree a replacement is the problem and hopefully it will never be Flanagan. Hasler came from left field and few saw that in advance so anything is possible.