Which coach???

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
At this point it has to be an interim.

Personally I'd have Gus in for the rest of the year so we can have a new coach start off on a clean slate
I'd say if they get rid of him it'll be the Barrett look-a-like who takes over. I think he's the NSW cup coach.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching the Panthers playing now, and the way they attack. I keep thinking that Barrett was their attack coach - why hasn't he taught us the moves Penrith put on? Our players are clueless -they must have been given some attack coaching; so where is it on the field?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
GUS… end of story!

The one week he intervenes and we beat $1.28 favourites in the Rorters need I say more???

He wont do it but it’s nice to dream, it’s all we have atm as Dogs fans, hopes and dreams!

TAS

All In
Reaction score
Get John Morris

We're not going to get anyone good established, they already have a job and won't leave it for us

After Flanagan was sacked Morris went through quite a bit getting cronulla firing again and I think he was unjustly told he'd no longer be coach. With those limitations he did a bloody good job at cronulla

Had their team playing exciting football
IIRC he was coaching a team with a lot of injuries at the time and an under resourced club that had no money in the cap to improve. With what he had at his disposal he did have the team playing decent footy. He had his players performing for him weekly. His sample size in first grade games in comparison to the other available coaches with first grade experience in Flanagan, Green or Toovey, is small but its still first grade experience. I don’t believe the concerns that were around him at the time were in relation to his actual coaching but rather the sharks were concerned he may not be able to attract big signings.

After those experienced coaches the other option is taking a punt on assistant coaches looking for a step up. Usual suspects in Ciraldo, Ryles, Bretnall.

Is Morris the answer for us? He shouldn’t be ruled out of consideration. He doesn’t have the baggage of say Flanno and you can say he’s a lesser risk than all the assistants looking for a gig because he has some first grade experience and the time he had in the job would need to be marked as relatively successful. Barrett is lucky that there isn’t a quality experienced coach available or else he would have already been marched.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably throw a bone to Dean Pay. In retrospect he was doing a pretty bloody good job considering his team was worse than this one.

Mick Potter would be my second elect.

Not sold on Ciraldo whatsoever.

S. Flanagan, assuming he could get the best out of Kyle, would be the only other I’d consider.
Sacking Baz to employ Pay is fkn madness to even consider!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Personally I'd have Gus in for the rest of the year so we can have a new coach start off on a clean slate
Mate as is if that going to happen

He hasn’t coaches nrl for 23 years ffs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the Panthers playing now, and the way they attack. I keep thinking that Barrett was their attack coach - why hasn't he taught us the moves Penrith put on? Our players are clueless -they must have been given some attack coaching; so where is it on the field?
He has.

But we don’t have the players to execute them

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
IIRC he was coaching a team with a lot of injuries at the time and an under resourced club that had no money in the cap to improve. With what he had at his disposal he did have the team playing decent footy. He had his players performing for him weekly. His sample size in first grade games in comparison to the other available coaches with first grade experience in Flanagan, Green or Toovey, is small but its still first grade experience. I don’t believe the concerns that were around him at the time were in relation to his actual coaching but rather the sharks were concerned he may not be able to attract big signings.

After those experienced coaches the other option is taking a punt on assistant coaches looking for a step up. Usual suspects in Ciraldo, Ryles, Bretnall.

Is Morris the answer for us? He shouldn’t be ruled out of consideration. He doesn’t have the baggage of say Flanno and you can say he’s a lesser risk than all the assistants looking for a gig because he has some first grade experience and the time he had in the job would need to be marked as relatively successful. Barrett is lucky that there isn’t a quality experienced coach available or else he would have already been marched.
At the time cronulla announced they weren't going to stick with him, everyone felt Morris was hard done by because he'd done such a good job, with massive limitations, in turning them around.

He had his players putting in effort every game, when after the Flanagan sacking a lot of their players had clocked off. That's something (the effort) I feel we are massively missing and we can't bank on Gus revving them up once in a while.

At the moment, the only real coach with first grade experience who may be available and doesn't have q chequered past

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go with John Morris. I thought he did a great job with an ordinary roster and got shafted for his hard work. If we didn't take him on as head coach he would do an outstanding job as high performance (fitness) manager. Just get it done Gus.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey mate .... why not.

A new coach is probably going to want a full pre-season, and bring in his own staff.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should never have gotten rid of Dean Pay. I apologise on behalf of the club for the way he was treated.

We fucked up.
Unfortunately he was made a scapegoat for a desperate board who were under the pump. I’m convinced we’d be a top 8 team with this roster if we’d stuck solid with Deano.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately he was made a scapegoat for a desperate board who were under the pump. I’m convinced we’d be a top 8 team with this roster if we’d stuck solid with Deano.
Wow! The amount of people who think Pay is an option is amazing. No other club would even consider Pay for a head coaching role ever again. We should be on this list.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cmon man, Pay was no more the answer than Baz.
He picked some absolutely atrocious players. John Olive, Clay Priest, Katoa, overpaid DWZ. There were better options available.

There was no doubt he was used to get thru a tough period but if he thought he was going to be at the bottom of the ladder than given the salary cap to spend as he pleased he was very naive.