Opinion SOS Shane Flanagan

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What cracks me up is he plays Kiraz only because of covid and he smokes Burns, Nadan & Averillo. Doesnt that tell you something about barrett? the bloke isnt an NRL coach..perhaps a good assistant but not an NRL coach.
This is true although Kiraz is not in the 30 so his hands were tied - but the point here is he either has no eye for talent or is coaching scared and chose players (in the 30) with some experience over players with natural ability and potential.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fans can see we need an experienced coach and suggesting Flanno Snr bc there is no one else that has the gravitas or "authority" SF "seems" to have.

If Bellamy or Bennett were available, we'd prefer them, of course.

All those bagging the idea of SF, pls come up with viable suggestions and alternative coaches. We all want to see these better options.
Unfortunately as far as we know, the only "experienced" coaches that are available are Flanagan and Green. Just like halfbacks, there currently isn't much on the market to choose from

I'd go for Flanagan regardless of his past as he seems to be the hard edged authoritarian that we all think we need. The complication with him is Kyle, and how that dynamic would play out

Green has won a premiership and as for his "style" of coaching and how players respond, not sure, but he has been successful before

I'm definitely in the boat of no more rookie coaches. I think our club and situation at the present time is too much for a rookie. It would be a big call to go down that path 3 coaches in a row

I'm hoping, (without any inside knowledge) that JK shoots for the stars again like he did with Gus. Gus was a longshot and was tied up with the Warriors, but JK eventually got his man

I think between JK and Gus, they will aim for the best and at least have the conversation with Bellamy who at this stage hasn't committed anywhere past this year

A smokey would be Ricky Stuart. Good relationship with Gus and looks like his premiership window has closed at the Raiders, has been there a long time and could be ripe for a new challenge....but he does seem firmly entrenched at Canberra.....a big if??

Other than someone from left field, I think our best chance is Shane Flanagan, and we would have to pray that Kyle can develop into the player that we thought he could when we signed him

One thing for sure is Barrett needs to go sooner rather than later. I was in the pro Barrett camp up to the start of the year but with every game and nil improvement across the team he isn't the right coach for us

I guess all we can do is put our faith in Gus to make the right decision

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unfortunately as far as we know, the only "experienced" coaches that are available are Flanagan and Green. Just like halfbacks, there currently isn't much on the market to choose from

I'd go for Flanagan regardless of his past as he seems to be the hard edged authoritarian that we all think we need. The complication with him is Kyle, and how that dynamic would play out

Green has won a premiership and as for his "style" of coaching and how players respond, not sure, but he has been successful before

I'm definitely in the boat of no more rookie coaches. I think our club and situation at the present time is too much for a rookie. It would be a big call to go down that path 3 coaches in a row

I'm hoping, (without any inside knowledge) that JK shoots for the stars again like he did with Gus. Gus was a longshot and was tied up with the Warriors, but JK eventually got his man

I think between JK and Gus, they will aim for the best and at least have the conversation with Bellamy who at this stage hasn't committed anywhere past this year

A smokey would be Ricky Stuart. Good relationship with Gus and looks like his premiership window has closed at the Raiders, has been there a long time and could be ripe for a new challenge....but he does seem firmly entrenched at Canberra.....a big if??

Other than someone from left field, I think our best chance is Shane Flanagan, and we would have to pray that Kyle can develop into the player that we thought he could when we signed him

One thing for sure is Barrett needs to go sooner rather than later. I was in the pro Barrett camp up to the start of the year but with every game and nil improvement across the team he isn't the right coach for us

Yes it's tough all round. No easy answers. Bellamy would be ideal and 100% needed. Who knows what Gus and JK have up their sleeve but I sure hope it's something thats gonna work.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whoever and whenever they get needs to have performances clauses in their contract, covers us but will also push them to be their best at all times.

I'm all for flanno, he's exactly what we need compared to "best mate" Baz.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should ask The Drunk at Murdoch's Tele. He knows good shit. Last year he had Bellamy signing on and just days away from being formally announced as Dogs coach

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly right. We just can not afford to rely on an inexperienced or an "average" coach again.

To pull this club up by the boot straps will take a forceful experienced coach that wont take crap and whom players would be afraid to not listen too and give 110% for.

Coaches like that are few and far between...
Flanaghan might not be even...but of all that are available, he seems the most suitable...baggage and all.

I would have no problem with the Club offering Bellamy 2 million if the opportunity arose...compared to this rubbish, loss of future supporters and even our current fan base, and financial losses due to our reputational damage as losers, he would probably be worth it to us.
Should have kept Des.
He just needed reigning in from salary cap issues.

Everyone on the kennel wanted him sacked.
You got it.
Everyone wanted Pay sacked
You got it
Everyone now wants Barrett sacked.
You will no doubt get it.
I bet my left nut, the next coach no matter who it is.
The kennel will want him sacked.

The fish rots from the head guys.
It's not always the coach.

Sometimes it's stupid decisions at the top.
We have Gus, he is proven to build strong clubs.
He will build us up again, that I am sure of.

I just not sure I can wait long enough.
I'm sick of our team losing and making shit teams like the Broncos look like world beaters.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd pass on Green, yes he won a comp but Thurston was the main reason the cowboys won, once Thurston retired the cowboys turned to shit and Green did a runner not long into the next season, the ship was sinking and he wasn't sinking with it.
Flanagan should be given first option but I can't see Barrett being shown the door until mid next season when we get kikau and Mahoney.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would Flanagan want to coach us?
To prove to the world that his one cheating premiership wasn’t a fluke and he can actually coach. The coaches that take average players and turn them into stars are the ones that gain respect, not the coaches who walk into a star studded line up

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't put too much faith in the Bronco's selection process when they come up with Walters as their man.
Well considering the average roster he has bar Reynolds compared to ours he's lapping the great TBAZ.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well considering the average roster he has bar Reynolds compared to ours he's lapping the great TBAZ.
Its a cripple fight comparing Walters and Tbaz isn’t it? You’re left with a terrible coach either way.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it's tough all round. No easy answers. Bellamy would be ideal and 100% needed. Who knows what Gus and JK have up their sleeve but I sure hope it's something thats gonna work.
Couldn’t ask for anyone better then gus at this time hey. Imagine what andersons would do. Gus will have a plan.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To prove to the world that his one cheating premiership wasn’t a fluke and he can actually coach. The coaches that take average players and turn them into stars are the ones that gain respect, not the coaches who walk into a star studded line up
Coaches don’t turn down roles they rarely appear I reckon he will come

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Couldn’t ask for anyone better then gus at this time hey. Imagine what andersons would do. Gus will have a plan.
We're in a rock and a hard place scenario atm so might as well place our faith in Gus to help remedy the situation.

We don't have any alternative.

It's going to be a hard slog either way.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coaches don’t turn down roles they rarely appear I reckon he will come
Of course he’ll come. He’d jump at the opportunity. As you said, NRL coaching spots rarely come up so you’d be mad not to jump at the opportunity.

I was responding to Chrisaaar asking why would Flanagan coach us.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same reason why they knocked back Bennett TWICE
Just thinking out loud....wouldn't it be good to get Skeletor to break his contract and coach the Dogs, a ready made team, seeing he is struggling to field a squad for next year. You reckon he'd be itching at the chance?