Opinion SOS Shane Flanagan

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I thought it was meant as a joke :-)
I think it was, but I was surprised at how frail he looked up close. I guess he’s in his 70’s now so not knocking him but wondering why he’d want the stress of what he’s taken on at Concord - can’t be good for you!

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have to be patient, I am not one to throw anyone under the bus but acknowledge that this trend can't continue,
Gus would and should know if TBaz is the right man for the job, if not I am sure he will act accordingly !!!
No sorry my patience with Trent ended when he dropped Averillo in round 3. He had Wakeham, Averillo and Flanagan all there last season. He knew Burton was our 5/8th in 2022. He should have gone into this season 100% behind his first choice halfback. He picked Averillo against most peoples advice and then flicked him for Wakeham who has been no better. It's just bloody disappointing. I mean this guy was one of the best halves in the comp not long ago, you would think he'd have a clue and if the did we would have seen it by now.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are some so convinced that Shane Flanagan will get us winning anyway? Putting his baggage to one side he hasn’t been a head coach since 2018 and has been a on and off again assistant without much success. That’s a hell of a long time to be away from the game with so much change happening. I can’t see him being much a attraction for players. I just don’t see the appeal.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No sorry my patience with Trent ended when he dropped Averillo in round 3. He had Wakeham, Averillo and Flanagan all there last season. He knew Burton was our 5/8th in 2022. He should have gone into this season 100% behind his first choice halfback. He picked Averillo against most peoples advice and then flicked him for Wakeham who has been no better. It's just bloody disappointing. I mean this guy was one of the best halves in the comp not long ago, you would think he'd have a clue and if the did we would have seen it by now.
I totally agree on the Halfback point and the need to listen to people that know better !

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why are some so convinced that Shane Flanagan will get us winning anyway? Putting his baggage to one side he hasn’t been a head coach since 2018 and has been a on and off again assistant without much success. That’s a hell of a long time to be away from the game with so much change happening. I can’t see him being much a attraction for players. I just don’t see the appeal.
We’ve taken risks already with pay and Barrett as assistants and it’s flopped… it’s only right to take a punt on an experienced Flanagan

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t care as long as we win. Simple. I’m pretty every person in the kennel would put up with Kyle playing if it meant we were winning games. Straight out
Can you guarantee we will win more games with Shane as coach and Kyle as half back.

I'm not so sure myself..
One thing I am sure of is Reed Mahoney and Kik coming next year will improve our squad 10 fold.
The one thing I really want in a decent half-back.
We add a decent half-back to next year's quad and instantly we are a better team.

Then we can talk coaches.
If Barrett can't get a winning game plan with next year's squad including a top tier half-back, then yes he should be sacked.

But if you think adding the Flanagan coach and son as half-back will improanything, you are wrong. It's that simple.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We’ve taken risks already with pay and Barrett as assistants and it’s flopped… it’s only right to take a punt on an experienced Flanagan
Barrett was a head coach prior to Penrith so by that rationale how can you say ‘assistants flopped’?

No, it’s not ‘right’ and why would you take a ‘punt’ on anyone? If we are to change coaches again (and I don’t think Baz will be sacked anytime soon) it must be a clearly defined move for very clear reasons, not just ‘that bloke won a comp 6 years ago’ - and doubly so when questions remain about ‘that blokes’ baggage.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All I can say about Flanagan is he got the best out of his players. Look at what he did with Ennis and Barba for example. You go through his team and ask yourself how many of those players have played better under other coaches? He did a good job at the Sharks and built them steadily from a dour team into a premiership force. I'll put it this way, I don't want to see him end up at the Dragons or Tigers as I dislike them both and believe he would do a good job at either. He would also have a point to prove. Anyway I don't really like him to be honest and would love to see Barrett turn the club around. If he doesn't I don't see him ever getting a coaching job again at NRL level.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you guarantee we will win more games with Shane as coach and Kyle as half back.

I'm not so sure myself..
One thing I am sure of is Reed Mahoney and Kik coming next year will improve our squad 10 fold.
The one thing I really want in a decent half-back.
We add a decent half-back to next year's quad and instantly we are a better team.

Then we can talk coaches.
If Barrett can't get a winning game plan with next year's squad including a top tier half-back, then yes he should be sacked.

But if you think adding the Flanagan coach and son as half-back will improanything, you are wrong. It's that simple.
But can you guarantee it won’t make us better by adding Shane? I’m sure if Kyle is not performing he won’t stick with Kyle just cause. Shane as coach makes us instantly better. Training and plays. We will be a better squad for it. If we don’t get him then someon likebthebTigers will. Then we will be bottom feeders for a long time. We have no structur. No direction and a voiceless captain. So fucken over it.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But can you guarantee it won’t make us better by adding Shane? I’m sure if Kyle is not performing he won’t stick with Kyle just cause. Shane as coach makes us instantly better. Training and plays. We will be a better squad for it. If we don’t get him then someon likebthebTigers will. Then we will be bottom feeders for a long time. We have no structur. No direction and a voiceless captain. So fucken over it.
Gus needs to be ruthless and make the big decisions right now.. it’s unacceptable to continue like this

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gus needs to be ruthless and make the big decisions right now.. it’s unacceptable to continue like this
Have you considered that it’s not 100% Gus’ decision? Why do you think his time at Penrith ended? Because he had a handshake deal with Bennett to coach but when he took it to the Panthers board he was out-voted as they wanted Cleary. His role was then untenable because he’d had Cleary sacked previously. The Bulldogs board would have to approve such a move and it also has to take into consideration Barrett’s payout among other things like optics. It’s not just ‘snap your fingers and change the coach’.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Blank cheque to Bellamy followed by Flanno Snr. Don't care about Flanno anymore, I welcome him to fill our guy's full of drugs!