Luke Brooks

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The other side of that coin is the gamble the Knights took in signing Clifford and Clune - who previously have looked like fringe first graders but now look serviceable in a new environment.

Brooks has all the tools to help us as a secondary creator. IMO he just needs a change of scenery from the sewer that is the Tigers.
Clifford was always a great player, don't know why people knocked him. Clune when watching dragons reserve grade, was always one of the best sixes in the comp. Joey must be helping them alot though, great to see their confidence in backing themselves and playing what they see

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Clifford was always a great player, don't know why people knocked him. Clune when watching dragons reserve grade, was always one of the best sixes in the comp. Joey must be helping them alot though, great to see their confidence in backing themselves and playing what they see
I don't think anyone thought Clifford was great.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was always good once he had an organising 7. He wasn't a halfback which the Cowboys tried I mean come off they were playing Drinkwater and whoever else in the halves.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The other side of that coin is the gamble the Knights took in signing Clifford and Clune - who previously have looked like fringe first graders but now look serviceable in a new environment.

Brooks has all the tools to help us as a secondary creator. IMO he just needs a change of scenery from the sewer that is the Tigers.
Heard the same story from many on here about a player we signed from the roosters called Kyle, the story hasn’t ended well.

if we can offload one of the halves then perhaps. I also forgot to mention BBO in the list I posted so that would be 6 halves in the top 30.

I respect your opinion and know you’ve been a fan since the talk he was unhappy last year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I did, go through the archives, many posts from me saying clubs would be mad to not try sign Clifford and Burton. I remember arguing with a couple of people who said he wasn't a first grader.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd prefer Tevita-Harris over Brooks if we were to bring another 7 in.

If we could move on Flanno I would happily take either as a replacement though

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Heard the same story from many on here about a player we signed from the roosters called Kyle, the story hasn’t ended well.

if we can offload one of the halves then perhaps. I also forgot to mention BBO in the list I posted so that would be 6 halves in the top 30.

I respect your opinion and know you’ve been a fan since the talk he was unhappy last year.
Yeah I get your concerns, but I think these factors make it less of a gamble than Flanagan:
a) He's a former Dally M HBotY
b) He's reliably one of the best 6-8 statistical halfbacks in the game while also being in one of the worst teams.
c) Tedesco and Moses have moved to different scenarios and have become some of the best players in their positions.
d) He has no real injury history.
e) Entering into what's usually considered prime half years.
f) 170 odd first grade games

It's not even that I'm a fan, I just think historically it's been a proven recipe to be successful to grab these guys if they become available.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we stick with Avo/BBO and move on Flanno until we can get the half we want. Brooks may thrive in a new environment, or he may be the problem. I don't know , but the Tigers were life less. Slow, didn't look interested. No go forward, they actually looked worse than we did last year against the Knights

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I did, go through the archives, many posts from me saying clubs would be mad to not try sign Clifford and Burton. I remember arguing with a couple of people who said he wasn't a first grader.
Fair enough. I more meant general fans, Cowboy fans I know who were keen to move him on, Knights mates I have who were off it at the signing - but they're pretty happy right now.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The knights only signed Clune because Brooks couldnt get a release didnt they ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The knights only signed Clune because Brooks couldnt get a release didnt they ?
I recall something about Sheens not wanting him to be released late last year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall something about Sheens not wanting him to be released late last year.
Yep I dont think it was the knights intentions to have Clifford and Clune as their starting halves. They were always confident of getting Brooks

Clune has been very good but its only round 2

Having Johns there would be helping him immensely. Baz just doesnt seem to be improving our playmakers

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Papenhauzen couldn’t get a start with Tigers? Id sign him for as minimal as possible. Least he has a good kicking and passing game. He’s NRL hardened. His defence used to be a concern but I think he’s worked on that. I’d give him a go. Give him a lifeline like Dufty and Vaughn
Pap couldn't get a start because someone named Tedesco was there. Brooks is on a marquee contract for tigers and about to be dropped. Big difference.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also didn't watch and hadn't heard anything about how we went, but saw these highlights and did notice Flanno engaging the line before passing:

NSW cup is the best place for him right now imo - hopefully he keeps improving
he looks so much better there. its the old 'does well in cup, cant do it in first grade' curse hey?

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pap couldn't get a start because someone named Tedesco was there. Brooks is on a marquee contract for tigers and about to be dropped. Big difference.
Tedesco left Tigers at the end of 2017
Papenhauzyn left in 2019. Two years they hand a chance to play Ryan.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Addo-Carr struggled to get game time at the Tigers. They let plenty of good players go.
That's correct but in saying that JAC was just getting into first grade and.from memory tigers wanted to keep him but JAC took the smarter and better option to leave. Brooks been around long enough, it's not due to cap management or anything he is the whipping boy in a struggling side, imagine him with us on a decent contract, bad investment.