News A complete spine, Tevita Pangai Junior and Trent Barrett: Five burning questions – Canterbury Bulldogs

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing the same story every day is like watching our team put up a bomb every 5th tackle.
Or worse....
Watching our team burn 5 tackles with settlers in order to GET to the 5th tackle....

If there is 1 rule id like the NRL refs to implement against us is that on every set, we are allowed only 1 settler and the ref calls it when he sees it. If we do another in the same set, its a penalty AGAINST us.

Hopefully we learn.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks is one of the shittest halves in the comp. 9 seasons and never played finals. yet him and Hastings who's not played NRL in 5 years get put into 8th spot...?
Granted, on his day Hunt can turn it on. But he hasn't got the experienced Norman there to take pressure off him anymore, Amone's played 11 games of first grade and is only 19 years old?
I agree on the Tigers, and i always liked the enigmatic Norman but he was real rocks and diamonds. Amone together with Hunt (one of the best in comp for big games) is more likely to be better than Hunt-Norman so i expect them to be up there.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on the Tigers, and i always liked the enigmatic Norman but he was real rocks and diamonds. Amone together with Hunt (one of the best in comp for big games) is more likely to be better than Hunt-Norman so i expect them to be up there.
to be honest we could all be wrong come September this year on a few teams. some combos could really fire and other flop. for our sake i hope ours is one of the ones that fire! i cant see it happening for the tigers though, they're far more dangerous with Douehi getting alot of ball and not playing him at 6 obviously limits his touches. If anything i'd play Douehi and Hastings and let Brooks go to the Knights. Newcastle will be marginally better with him and the Tigers don't need him if they've got the other 2. Persisting with him after 9 seasons of failure seems stupid, especially given how much money he's on. Hey, not our team so let em throw another season down the drain!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair point, I do understand what you're saying. But then if that's the case, don't Brisbane with a new half in Reynolds who hasn't played with Brisbane before or got a locked in halves partner, Cronulla with Hynes and Moylan in the halves and Mcinnes potentially at hooker having never played together, Warriors with the new pairing of Johnson and Ash Taylor or CHT, Knights having to use a new hooker due to injury and a new half due to Mitchell Pearce leaving, Tigers with a combo of Brookes/Hastings/Douehi halves and Peachey potentially filling in at 14 in the spine, Cowboys with an inexperienced Dearden in his first full season there to partner the new recruit in Townsend, St George with almost as many signings as we've had, Souths with a new rookie half to cover Reynolds, all have to gel too? Not to mention other players that aren't in a spine position that those clubs have freshly recruited too. Not once have we heard from media about any of those teams having to 'gel' yet all we've heard about our team is the sentiment of it'll take them a while to get used to playing with each other. In line with your comment, if those teams also have to gel, won't our attack look better than it really is?
No argument here, the writer is obviously believing the bullshit about Burton being adversely affected by playing centre last season. My view is it will make him an even better 5/8 because he absolutely now understands what his centres require from him in attack. His service should go up another notch as a result. Plus he learnt how to defend at center which is often regarded as the hardest position on the field to play defence. So it will make him even better at understanding what he needs to do to help his centres in defence. Far from being a issue I think it will actually make him an even better 5/8.

Plus they have uncertainty about who the 1/2 will be, if any of them vying for it were locked in then, regardless of who it was, their combined 1/2 & 5/8 rating would go up. When the 1/2 is locked in even for a few games, their ratings will go up, simply because they will know who it is. Whether they are good or bad matters less than not knowing who it is going to be.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
" The Bulldogs need a game-breaker. They haven’t lacked in forwards even during their run at the bottom of the table. "

WHO THE FCUK! WHo!
JAC will be a game breaker and vice captain but shouldn't be relied on every week to save our asses

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tigers and Warriors too high.

1. Panthers - Luai, Cleary
2. Storm - Munster, Hughes
3. Manly - Foran, DCE
4. Roosters - Keary, Walker [+1]

5. Eels - Brown, Moses [-1]
6. Sharks - Moylan, Hynes [+5]
7. Rabbitohs - Walker, Ilias [-1]
8. Broncos - Walters, Reynolds [+4]

9. Raiders - Wighton, Fogarty
10. Dragons - Amone, Hunt
11. Bulldogs - Burton, Averillo [+3]
12. Titans - Brimson, Sexton [+1]

13. Warriors - CHT, Johnson [-6]
14. Cowboys - Drinkwater, Townsend [+1]
15. Tigers - Hastings, Brooks [-7]
16. Knights - Clune, Clifford

My rankings from the other day.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
6. Sharks - Moylan, Hynes [+5]
Has Moylan ever played 1/2? Fullback to 5/8 is far from unusual, but to 1/2 not so much. Hughes at Melbourne is the only recent I can think of. Moylan's 31 in June and is getting pretty injury prone, 2019 (hamstring), 2020 (calf), 2021 (hamstring) only played 31 games in the last 3 seasons, so he basically misses half a season.

Or is Hynes going to be playing 1/2?

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Has Moylan ever played 1/2? Fullback to 5/8 is far from unusual, but to 1/2 not so much. Hughes at Melbourne is the only recent I can think of. Moylan's 31 in June and is getting pretty injury prone, 2019 (hamstring), 2020 (calf), 2021 (hamstring) only played 31 games in the last 3 seasons, so he basically misses half a season.

Always a Bulldog
Hynes halfback (can't move Kennedy from fullback). Moylan five-eighth. Moylan's played a lot of five-eighth (his fullback days are over, injures himself with the workload). He played all of last year at five-eighth. I personally think he's quality but similar to Foran (not last year) injury prone. The problem with Rabbitohs and Broncos they have a elite/quality half but a rookie beside them so that's why I have Sharks 6th. I couldn't put them any lower than 8th.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No argument here, the writer is obviously believing the bullshit about Burton being adversely affected by playing centre last season. My view is it will make him an even better 5/8 because he absolutely now understands what his centres require from him in attack. His service should go up another notch as a result. Plus he learnt how to defend at center which is often regarded as the hardest position on the field to play defence. So it will make him even better at understanding what he needs to do to help his centres in defence. Far from being a issue I think it will actually make him an even better 5/8.

Plus they have uncertainty about who the 1/2 will be, if any of them vying for it were locked in then, regardless of who it was, their combined 1/2 & 5/8 rating would go up. When the 1/2 is locked in even for a few games, their ratings will go up, simply because they will know who it is. Whether they are good or bad matters less than not knowing who it is going to be.

Always a Bulldog
yeah agree with what you're saying in regards to Burton, especially in defence!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
centre is only 1 spot outside the 5/8 or half so defensively i dont think it makes a difference. I actually think it is harder for a half having the edge forwards targeting them in defence.
I do agree with the attack side of things, he would have a better understanding of the service a centre needs.
Either way experience in another position at that level can only improve him.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly -how long do origin teams have to 'gel' with each other? What about a Kangaroos side, or the indigenous all stars side? its a total load of crap. granted there may be slight teething issues the first handful of games, but they'll be right - they are professionals. the fact its been rehashed in every single article this off season really boils my blood. The boys have been training day in day out together for a couple of months now. they'll be fine
Origin players are all superstars... mostly with heaps of FG experience and know thier roles inside out. Even some of our better players are still learning their positions and may not fully trust the ability of the blokes either side of them. Besides plenty of players kill it at club level but play ordinary at origin level until they build combos. DCE was like this early on as was Munster.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Whats the difference?
Historically you might have said half is first receiver and 5/8th has freedom to run more but nowadays its merely a left and right with equal skills so not sure what the fuss is about.

In fact if you can have floating halves who swap to keep defences guesssing or better still, stack the one side, i think you are better off.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Whats the difference?
Historically you might have said half is first receiver and 5/8th has freedom to run more but nowadays its merely a left and right with equal skills so not sure what the fuss is about.

In fact if you can have floating halves who swap to keep defences guesssing or better still, stack the one side, i think you are better off.
they do float but there is still a dominate 7.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. That order is very questionable...
Whoever wrote this obviously has a concussion worse than Keary's.....

Keary is one of the best halves in the comp and Walker is one of the better up and comers.

To have them below Foran-DCE is ludicrous.
Beg to differ. Keary is one head knock away from retirement. Walker is still green and pretty hit and miss. I can see a lot of traffic going through there this year. I’d rather have Manly’s halves.

Last edited:

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or worse....
Watching our team burn 5 tackles with settlers in order to GET to the 5th tackle....

If there is 1 rule id like the NRL refs to implement against us is that on every set, we are allowed only 1 settler and the ref calls it when he sees it. If we do another in the same set, its a penalty AGAINST us.

Hopefully we learn.
We thought it would go away after tolman left, instead it kept going with Jackson or one of the other plodders doing it.