Pangai Boxing?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm staggered sausage rolls are fattening :disrelieved: , fairly partial to a cheese and bacon 2 pack they sell at various IGA stores(their fairly close to up there with bakery standards for a packaged/chilled product).

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Oh okay…. We’ll he knows Ivan in a professional work environment, where as you know him from reading articles of hearsay… good one mate!
***** are allowed an opinion, don't shit your bed over it.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fight Club: Australia’s premier boxing and MMA column, news

An NRL star’s new deal includes a clause allowing him to enter the ring every year, it can be revealed.

Canterbury recruit Tevita Pangai Jnr could be headlining a Belmore Oval fight night by the end of next year as part of an audacious plan that is set to be tabled before Bulldogs GM Phil Gould.

As part of his new Dogs contract, Pangai Jnr has been given permission to fight twice every season, starting with his professional boxing debut in Brisbane on December 4.

If things go well, this column understands certain Bulldogs officials are keen to stage a Belmore Oval fight night, just like happened 37 years ago for another club enforcer, Billy Johnstone.

Back in 1984, Bulldogs hooker Johnstone fought Ritchie Roberts for the Australian middleweight title on Belmore Sports Ground – but was famously disqualified in the 12th round for a headbutt.

Good times.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's going to demolish that other guy. Seems like he is taking it very seriously and is really motivated.

Mazri

Waterboy
Reaction score
Anyone know if the fight will be streamed somewhere?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ipswich street fighter!! What could possibly go wrong!

I hope TPJ keeps his hands up!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if the fight will be streamed somewhere?
On this page...

there is this image that has Fox/Kayo at the top. Not sure if it's a PPV event though? Don't have a subscription at the moment as I cancel it during the offseason, maybe someone with a sub can check?

Screenshot_20211124_155951.jpg

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On this page...

there is this image that has Fox/Kayo at the top. Not sure if it's a PPV event though? Don't have a subscription at the moment as I cancel it during the offseason, maybe someone with a sub can check?

View attachment 34576
Saturday night from 6:30pm AEDT on Fox Sports 507

FFjooZAUUAcE3-4.jpg

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs’ Tevita Pangai Junior boxing debut, Phil Gould’s advice for first fight

When Bulldogs recruit Tevita Pangai Jr finally told Phil Gould he was preparing for his first fight, the Canterbury supremo offered a simple piece of advice.

Bulldogs forward Tevita Pangai Jnr gets in the ring for his first professional fight on Saturday night in Brisbane.

Canterbury supremo Phil Gould has one message for prized recruit Tevita Pangai Jr ahead of his professional boxing debut: “Don’t make the club look bad”.

The forward, who missed Penrith’s NRL grand final win through injury, will swap the footy for gloves on Saturday night in Brisbane when he goes toe-to-toe with fellow heavyweight Gerico Cecil.
Gould is backing Pangai Jr’s boxing aspirations, but not before offering some blunt and then some sage advice about stepping into the ring for the first time.

“He just said ‘make sure you don’t make the club look bad’,” Pangai Jr said with a laugh. “And to go out and do my thing.
“But Gus was good about it, he even gave me some advice. He just said ‘keep the jab out’ and ‘keep the left hand busy’. He said that was what his trainer back in the day would say to him when he did some boxing.”

Tevita Pangai Jr will make his boxing debut in Brisbane on Saturday night. Picture: Annette Dew

Tevita Pangai Jr will make his boxing debut in Brisbane on Saturday night. Picture: Annette Dew

Twelve hours after stepping into the ring, Pangai Jr will jump on a flight to Sydney to start his Canterbury pre-season, nine days before originally planned.

“I fight on Saturday night, leave for Sydney on Sunday and start on Monday,” Pangai Jr said. “I actually wasn’t due back until the 15th of December but I think it was just good to get back and see the boys.

“The borders have been shut so I haven’t been able to go down to see them, so I felt like it would be good to get in early. I’ve heard they’ve been training really hard.”

But before his impending Belmore arrival, Pangai Jr is ready to take care of ‘business’ against Cecil in Brisbane.
“I’ve asked around about him, I’ve seen a photo. He is a big boy,” he said. “I think he’s around 120 kilograms. He actually used to play in the Queensland Cup for the Ipswich Jets.

“Credit to him for taking the fight on late notice. But when we get in there, it’s just business.”

Tevita Pangai Jr has been working hard with trainer Chris McCullen. Picture: Annette Dew

Tevita Pangai Jr has been working hard with trainer Chris McCullen. Picture: Annette Dew

The former Brisbane and Penrith forward has been training six days a week with Chris McCullen at Logan Boxing ahead of his debut four-round fight.

Pangai Jr has been able to draw experience from NRL training and game-day preparations from a physical aspect.
But the mental preparation required to get into the ring against a 120kg opponent has proved a new challenge to confront for Pangai Jr, who is tipping the scale at 114kg.

“The biggest difference … I think it’s the thought of someone just trying to take your head off for three or four rounds,” Pangai Jr said.
“The training is similar in terms of pre-season but there aren’t as much weights. The running and conditioning side is similar between the two sports.

“I think the boxing has been a good preparation for the NRL pre-season as well.”
While Pangai Jr will switch his focus back to rugby league on Monday, the new Bulldog admitted he had caught the boxing ‘bug’ and was open to taking more fights in the future.

“I haven’t grown up boxing, but I have been a big fan since I was a kid,” he said. “Obviously I have enjoyed guys like Anthony Mundine and Floyd Mayweather as a kid. I just did boxing for my fitness, I never did any sparring until recently and I just caught the bug for it.”
Tasman Fighters and D&L Super Saturday fight night at Brisbane’s Fortitude Music Hall is live on Fox Sports and Kayo from 6.30pm.