Science Stuff

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
There is a correlation between lake water colour and barometric pressure.

Reference: Doogie - TheKennel "Science Stuff", Post #479, Paragraph 3
Fck that - there's only 2 papers I want to be part of:
this - http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html
And the paper (fckd if I can find it) where some academics were camping in Qld and discovered some beetles humping the bottom of their VB bottles. Apparently they worked out the bumps on the bottom of the bottle perfectly replicated the sex organ of the female beetle of the species. Quality work.

For other - ground breaking science - fck Nature, Science etc.

I present the Ig Nobels....

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Ig Nobels - take this beauty....

MANAGEMENT PRIZE [CHINA]
(奚广安) Xi Guang-An, (莫天祥) Mo Tian-Xiang, (杨康生) Yang Kang-Sheng, (杨广生) Yang Guang-Sheng, and (凌显四) Ling Xian Si, five professional hitmen in Guangxi, China, who managed a contract for a hit job (a murder performed for money) in the following way: After accepting payment to perform the murder, Xi Guang-An then instead subcontracted the task to Mo Tian-Xiang, who then instead subcontracted the task to Yang Kang-Sheng, who then instead subcontracted the task to Yang Guang-Sheng, who then instead subcontracted the task to Ling Xian-Si, with each subsequently enlisted hitman receiving a smaller percentage of the fee, and nobody actually performing a murder.
REFERENCE: Numerous news reports and trial documents.

Sounds like the dogs recruitment strategy from 4 years ago....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fck that - there's only 2 papers I want to be part of:
this - http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html
And the paper (fckd if I can find it) where some academics were camping in Qld and discovered some beetles humping the bottom of their VB bottles. Apparently they worked out the bumps on the bottom of the bottle perfectly replicated the sex organ of the female beetle of the species. Quality work.

For other - ground breaking science - fck Nature, Science etc.

I present the Ig Nobels....

This is one of my favourites...

Abstract

The popular children’s game ‘the floor is lava’ seems entertaining when played using only the imagination, but it is not widely known what the effects would be if this game were to be played using real lava. This paper investigates whether playing this game in real life would be possible and what effect that would have on the human body.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ig Nobels - take this beauty....

MANAGEMENT PRIZE [CHINA]
(奚广安) Xi Guang-An, (莫天祥) Mo Tian-Xiang, (杨康生) Yang Kang-Sheng, (杨广生) Yang Guang-Sheng, and (凌显四) Ling Xian Si, five professional hitmen in Guangxi, China, who managed a contract for a hit job (a murder performed for money) in the following way: After accepting payment to perform the murder, Xi Guang-An then instead subcontracted the task to Mo Tian-Xiang, who then instead subcontracted the task to Yang Kang-Sheng, who then instead subcontracted the task to Yang Guang-Sheng, who then instead subcontracted the task to Ling Xian-Si, with each subsequently enlisted hitman receiving a smaller percentage of the fee, and nobody actually performing a murder.
REFERENCE: Numerous news reports and trial documents.

Sounds like the dogs recruitment strategy from 4 years ago....
Try working in construction. This is basically normal for them. Take Consulatancy companies for example. Construction consultant companies basically just pay others to give them advice so they can then mark it up by 30% and charge it on to the client. Their entire specialty is that they can use google and a phone.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Try working in construction. This is basically normal for them. Take Consulatancy companies for example. Construction consultant companies basically just pay others to give them advice so they can then mark it up by 30% and charge it on to the client. Their entire specialty is that they can use google and a phone.
Being an analytical chemist by trade (no @ASSASSIN, not a synthetic chemist and I know nothing about a double mannich condensation using diethyl malonate, pyridine, refluxing and re-crystallisation - the resulting molecule is exactly the same as a certain white powder we all know and love) - remember looking at some russian chemistry journals for some work I was doing. Some clever dude modelled a molecule that looked like a penis, attempted to 'dock' the molecule into something that looked liked a vagina via an occlusion process. He was then funded for 5 years to work out how to synthesise said molecules.

No idea if he ever got there but does it matter. He was contributing to science....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Being an analytical chemist by trade (no @ASSASSIN, not a synthetic chemist and I know nothing about a double mannich condensation using diethyl malonate, pyridine, refluxing and re-crystallisation - the resulting molecule is exactly the same as a certain white powder we all know and love) - remember looking at some russian chemistry journals for some work I was doing. Some clever dude modelled a molecule that looked like a penis, attempted to 'dock' the molecule into something that looked liked a vagina via an occlusion process. He was then funded for 5 years to work out how to synthesise said molecules.

No idea if he ever got there but does it matter. He was contributing to science....
That's never going to work. Everyone knows that if you're attempting to dock something penis shaped, it can only be docked in another penis shaped thing, and only if it's not Jewish.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
That's never going to work. Everyone knows that if you're attempting to dock something penis shaped, it can only be docked in another penis shaped thing, and only if it's not Jewish.
Fck - sorry guys - I'm offline for a while. Firing up Avogadro now - I've been inspired. @Hacky McAxe - you'll get an acknowledgement bro - I never leave anyone hanging.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This weird looking old guy mad science interesting when I was a kid. He looks like a pedo that would hide in a park with a bag of boiled lollies, but he made things like physics cool.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Found it...
Male Julodimorpha bakewelli White were observed attempting to copulate with beer bottles. Colour and reflection of tubercles on the bottle glass are suggested as causes for attraction and release of sexual behaviour.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
This weird looking old guy mad science interesting when I was a kid. He looks like a pedo that would hide in a park with a bag of boiled lollies, but he made things like physics cool.

I started as a chemist in year 10. Was warned not to put sodium into water. So I filled up the desk tub and when the teach left the room, in went 250gms of sodium. Bye bye desk. When I was allowed back into science (about 3 months later), teach told us about this...

Don't try this at home kiddies. Used to grab a calcium hypo bucket of tablets, put a hole in the lid, unseal the brake fluid bottle and put it through the hole upside down. And then run. Ignition time ranged from 2 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes a bit of fire only, other times could get a burnt out car a foot or so off the ground.

Discovered physics through the principles of air differentials via the use of potatos and polypipe.

Discovered biology through the use of houso chicks in the neighbourhood.

No pedos on TV for me teaching waffle - all real world practical experience. I'm a better man for it....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fck - sorry guys - I'm offline for a while. Firing up Avogadro now - I've been inspired. @Hacky McAxe - you'll get an acknowledgement bro - I never leave anyone hanging.
My sole goal in life is that people think of me while touching penises.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Fuck the docking bullshit let's talk about that white powder.... lol

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Fuck the docking bullshit let's talk about that white powder.... lol
Its actually quite funny. Its a 1st/2nd year chemical reaction taught because its very useful in creating organic chemicals. So your sitting in chem class looking at the poster child DM reaction and its product tropinone. My chem lecturer let me in on the tip - refluxing tropinone at the right temp gives you ring closure (be nice) which after crystallisation becomes coke.

All sounds good in theory but with diethyl malonate, you can make a range of stuff which isn't good (or too good). Highly regulated chemical because if it. Sorry bro - no xmas present for you....

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Its actually quite funny. Its a 1st/2nd year chemical reaction taught because its very useful in creating organic chemicals. So your sitting in chem class looking at the poster child DM reaction and its product tropinone. My chem lecturer let me in on the tip - refluxing tropinone at the right temp gives you ring closure (be nice) which after crystallisation becomes coke.

All sounds good in theory but with diethyl malonate, you can make a range of stuff which isn't good (or too good). Highly regulated chemical because if it. Sorry bro - no xmas present for you....
I'll swap you leffet for that....

PS fkn lol @ ring closure. If I were Greek I'd open it lol

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am watching Professor Brian Cox's - 5 part series Wonders of the Universe on ABC Monday nights 8:30, very, very good.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NASA spacecraft ‘touches’ the Sun for the first time ever (nature.com)

The Parker Solar Probe has passed through a boundary and into the Sun’s atmosphere, gathering data that will help scientists better understand stars.

A NASA spacecraft has entered a previously unexplored region of the Solar System — the Sun’s outer atmosphere, or corona. The long-awaited milestone, which was reached in April but announced on 14 December, is a major accomplishment for the Parker Solar Probe, a craft that is flying closer to the Sun than any mission in history.

“We have finally arrived,” said Nicola Fox, director of NASA’s heliophysics division, located at the agency’s headquarters in Washington DC. “Humanity has touched the Sun.”

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Parker Solar Probe has passed through a boundary and into the Sun’s atmosphere, gathering data that will help scientists better understand stars.

A NASA spacecraft has entered a previously unexplored region of the Solar System — the Sun’s outer atmosphere, or corona. The long-awaited milestone, which was reached in April but announced on 14 December, is a major accomplishment for the Parker Solar Probe, a craft that is flying closer to the Sun than any mission in history.

“We have finally arrived,” said Nicola Fox, director of NASA’s heliophysics division, located at the agency’s headquarters in Washington DC. “Humanity has touched the Sun.”
Even the sun has covid??????

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Unlike Icarus it’s wing never melted..AMAZING!!!!

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Marths percentage hack I only learnt this year, and when you think about it is quite obvious, but is so relatively unknown and so useful I don’t know why they didn’t teach me this in year 1.

Percentages are reversible

If I asked you what was 12% of 25 you may have trouble working it out in your head, at least I would.

But 25% of 12?

And they’re the same answer.

Ofcourse won’t be so easy all the time but even harder ones it might get you closer to something you can figure out.

Fucking science… and yes maths is science.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1639627613459.png

Earth as seen from the surface of Mars.
“From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest.
But for us, it's different.
Consider again that pale blue dot.
That's here. That's us. That's home. On it everyone you love, everyone you know,
everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives.
The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines,
every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician,
every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there,
on a mere mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent are their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals, clerics and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a pale blue dot."

From Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space."