What are some memories of your wonder years?

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I used to love the galaxy marbles. I can see a couple of them in the first picture you posted. I can still appreciate them today simply for their beauty and what a work of art they are. I wouldn't mind purchasing a packet today if I came across them. Even other marble they have nice colours and just look good I can admire.

View attachment 32727
They definitely had some fascinating ones. I think that was part of the appeal. I have the ones that I owned and won, along with much older ones that came from older relatives. Some of the older ones are clear glass. Old drink bottle would be sealed with a marble and kids would break the bottle to get the marble. I guess the ones in my collection would be between fifty and a hundred years old.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They definitely had some fascinating ones. I think that was part of the appeal. I have the ones that I owned and won, along with much older ones that came from older relatives. Some of the older ones are clear glass. Old drink bottle would be sealed with a marble and kids would break the bottle to get the marble. I guess the ones in my collection would be between fifty and a hundred years old.
I'd definitely get them valued at the very least - you may be holding onto something very valuable.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd definitely get them valued at the very least - you may be holding onto something very valuable.
I will have to dig them out one day and try and sort through them. Even the most common ones are probably worth a few dollars each. There's quite a few hundred all up. I haven't even looked at them in about 20 or 30 years.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ampol.jpg

Ampol Jolly Swagman Club - the petrol company, Ampol put out a bunch of stuff to keep kids occupied in cars, particularly on holiday journeys. I remember a big car show at Bankstown in the 70s. It was on what used to be a big carpark opposite David Jones, on Lady Cutler Avenue. It was inside a gigantic marquee, and they had a lot of famous vehicles, such as, from memory a car belonging to Elvis, the Batmobile from the 1966 TV show, the Munsters vehicle etc. From memory, it was run/sponsored by Ampol as a Jolly Swagman Club event. Does anyone remember this car show? I could be wrong on the Ampol part, but the car show definitely happened... maybe mid-70s?

Last edited:

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone remember in the early 2000s, waking up early before your parents woke up to watch the women's exercise show before cheese tv came on?

That was the start of my perverted life
For the adults and curious youngsters of the late 60s, through the 70s, Swami Sarasvati was the interesting TV show in the mornings...

SS.jpg

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 32897

I know Thunderbird 2 was actually green, but this is the exact model toy I had in the 70's and probably still have somewhere. Not sure if Thunderbird 4 has survived with it though.
I think I have a green one somewhere, if it wasn't one of the many things my parents "accidently" threw out, when we moved houses, when I was about 13.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of old school.

I'm currently in the queue at the Post Office to purchase... a money order. The only other option I had was an effing bank cheque. Get your shit together ASIC. I should send them a bill for my time as well (currently $600 per hour).

And then this waste of paper arrived on my doorstep last week...

20211106_163603.jpg