Images/Photos

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My father in law grew up in Mosman, and watched the progress on the bridge each day. My mother in laws' house was demolished for the North Sydney approaches.

Incidentally, the arch bridge was out of fashion by the time the design was submitted - suspension bridges like the Golden Gate were cheaper to construct, but the railways and road had to swing sharply toward North Sydney, and that interfered with the suspension cables of a suspension bridge, where an arch has no such constriction.

The bridge was designed by Frenchman, Georges Imbault of the UK based Cleveland Bridge Co. When the owner of the company passed away, the business was taken over by Dorman Long, and Imbault was retained to oversee the design submission.

Bradfield had seen the Hell Gate Bridge in New York and was impressed with the pylons at each end - so he insisted on pylons for the Sydney bridge. They are made from stone quarried in Moruya, and are purely decorative. The bridge is held up by hinged anchor points on the ground.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 29186
Try and find platform 26 - 27 at Central station..
I may or may not have a key (I do because of my line of work) but use to sneak down the hard way through the tunnels back in the day. Looking for trains he he oh the old days anyway I was one of those bloody vandals that needed their hands cut off. Man it was fun simple times..

View attachment 29187
platform 27 these are not my photos all mine got confiscated. The perils of being a rascal

Here's a picture of me in my role as rail historian for an article in the SMH some years ago.
The platforms are currently used for the construction of the Bankstown metro, but will not be the actual platforms for the metro. They'll just be for storage.
chris-harding-420x0.jpg

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If your ever heading towards Melbourne and you want a rest/stretch the legs along the way, 10 or so km detour off the Hume Hway north of Wangaratta is the old dredge at Eldorado. I use to live about 10 mins away and there was never anyone there when I use to pop over. Some interesting back roads below Beechworth with lots to see. Amethyst, gold region. Infact north country VIC is fucking fantastic for exploring all through that area, Lake Hume, Yakandanda, Beechworth itself , Lake Mulwala if you like Murray Cod etc.
eldoradodredge early on.jpg

Dredge today

dredge buckets.jpg

dredge today.jpg

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Billycart racing, Sydney - 1920s
View attachment 30460
Little johhny flying down a hill in a Billy cart, " go you fucking good thing fucking go " screaming down the hill "yehaa ya mother fuckers" he hits a rock flips it in the ditch in the mud it's stuck , "you fucking piece of mother fucking shit he yells " a priest is walking by and hears the commotion" my child you must not speak in a profane manner as God is everywhere ",huh says johhny what do you mean.
The preist say child God is in our hearts and souls he is everywhere so you must not cuss like that, Johnny says is he up in the sky? Yes the preist says , is he in that tree? Indeed he is my child. is he in my Billy cart? The preist of course now you under stand, hmm huffed johhny and looks the preist in the eye, do you mind telling the mother fucking cocksucker to get out and push ?