Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They’re in an easy CL group. They should progress. If they don’t top the group then questions will be asked.
Not all their fans are stupid into believing like some in here that you don’t need a midfield to achieve success. :dizzy:
They’ve pinned all their hopes on Brunaldo, I’m not sure that’s the correct decision .
Like I said, failing to beat Young Boys is alarm bells ringing .

@alchemist , the mess was created when Ferguson left an ageing roster and the selectimy Moyes as his replacement ( his personal choice) .
The mess started 8 years ago, along the way the many coaches that have come and failed have made the mess even worse.
There's no way they don't get through this group, especially with their roster. They'll bounce back without doubt, but I think the worrying thing for me if I were a United support is how much people are pointing to the red as an excuse for not getting the result.

They were poor. Should've handled the sending off much better. Ole really looked lost, but it's only one game. Midfield ...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’re in an easy CL group. They should progress. If they don’t top the group then questions will be asked.
Not all their fans are stupid into believing like some in here that you don’t need a midfield to achieve success. :dizzy:
They’ve pinned all their hopes on Brunaldo, I’m not sure that’s the correct decision .
Like I said, failing to beat Young Boys is alarm bells ringing .

@alchemist , the mess was created when Ferguson left an ageing roster and the selectimy Moyes as his replacement ( his personal choice) .
The mess started 8 years ago, along the way the many coaches that have come and failed have made the mess even worse.
part of the issue Ferguson suffered towards the end of his reign was the restricted amounts of money he had on transfer targets as a result of the Glazer takeover... for example, United sold CR7 for a world record fee and replaced him with Antonio Valencia only from memory... they looked for bargain priced players they hoped would be gems (eg. Zoran Tošić, Adem Ljajić)... I think the budget approach also probably influenced the decision to sign Moyes who had been a relative success at Everton overachieving considering the money spent... it's why Old Trafford has been left as is for 15(?) years

that said, money was injected following the Moyes failure but poorly (eg. Di Maria, Sanchez, Lukaku etc.)

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
and United fans should be encouraged with their transfer window
mass a very good window but once again we brought a player in a position we didn’t need.

we need a cdm badly also no dead wood gone.

they fked up a few years ago renewing contracts for average players on big wages so we can’t move them on

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mass a very good window but once again we brought a player in a position we didn’t need.

they fked up a few years ago renewing contracts for average players on big wages so we can’t move them on
We buy players to sell shirts. Not signing a CDM is criminal. Renewing players is cheaper than going into the market.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoken like a real scouser lol
Could try and make less obvious lol
Couldn't be further from the truth coach. This club is all about making the top 4. It's a business, winning stuff is secondary.

I'm pissed off, and sick of how we are being run. I'm hardly Robinson Crusoe in thinking this way.

You need to remove the rose coloured glasses.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Have to agree on this. You guys would a proper DM would be a little scary tbh

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Couldn't be further from the truth coach. This club is all about making the top 4. It's a business, winning stuff is secondary.

I'm pissed off, and sick of how we are being run. I'm hardly Robinson Crusoe in thinking this way.

Agree in this. 100%

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Lololol

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really like this @billy beane bloke. Speaks some sense for a United supporter
Certainly does. Another logical poster is bulldogs-4-life . You can a have a decent discussion with these guys , and there are a few others in here too who I have not named( Alchemist and all the other LFC boys on the forum who know their football)
But Chrissy and Coach get wound up very easily . I’m thinking those 8 years without success are really starting to bother them , that’s the impression I’m getting. They need to stop listening to inept clowns who try and blanket their teams roster shortcomings by suggesting you don’t need to have a midfield to win things . Lol
A couple of man Utd fans in here in here have worked out how the Glazers are running the club , and it’s about making money , money and more money , winning trophies is an unlikely bonus in their way of thinking.
The Glazers need to sign someone like Klopp who has transformed LFC into contenders, even with an inferior budget.
I look at the players Klopp has brought in and the money he spent and he has had tremendous success . I look at you club which has spent £1billion and you have guys like Lingard , Matic , McTominay ,Fred and Mata as your midfield solutions .
That’s why you won’t be winning anything anytime soon .

Last edited:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

in truth, this is a better description of "THE" Arsenal FC post move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium and their "it's better to finish 4th and qualify for the Champions League than win a cup trophy" strategy in order to pay off the debts the new stadium... and it pretty much ruined a great club

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
in truth, this is a better description of "THE" Arsenal FC post move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium and their "it's better to finish 4th and qualify for the Champions League than win a cup trophy" strategy in order to pay off the debts the new stadium... and it pretty much ruined a great club
At present yes. Have to agree.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Arsenal are pretty much another example of why you should not have the same coach on your bench for 2 decades. Once they depart , next decade (and longer) will be a disaster for the club.
Weve seen it with Arsenal and are witnessing it at Man Utd

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arsenal are pretty much another example of why you should not have the same coach on your bench for 2 decades. Once they depart , next decade (and longer) will be a disaster for the club.
Weve seen it with Arsenal and are witnessing it at Man Utd
both of the clubs you mention also have American owners that view the clubs as sporting franchises in the American sense to enrich themselves and that do not understand European and in particular, English football clubs

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
both of the clubs you mention also have American owners that view the clubs as sporting franchises in the American sense to enrich themselves and that do not understand European and in particular, English football clubs
Agree, in Ferguson’s defence though he was winning things whereas Wenger was not so his long tenure was justified .
But I think coaches tenures should not exceed 10 years because the modern game evolves much faster than what it did in the past.
Lets not forget Ferguson unlike Klopp , Tuchel , Mourinio and Guardiola did not win anything in his first 5 years in charge and he was fortunate to write the history he did because he was close to being fired.
But he stayed 25 odd years and had the success he did, just like Guardiola , Klopp , Mourinio and possibly Tuchel will have the same success over 25 years, only theirs will be have been achieved at numerous clubs, which for me makes it even more special .

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, in Ferguson’s defence though he was winning things whereas Wenger was not so his long tenure was justified .
But I think coaches tenures should not exceed 10 years because the modern game evolves much faster than what it did in the past.
Lets not forget Ferguson unlike Klopp , Tuchel , Mourinio and Guardiola did not win anything in his first 5 years in charge and he was fortunate to write the history he did because he was close to being fired.
But he stayed 25 odd years and had the success he did, just like Guardiola , Klopp , Mourinio and possibly Tuchel will have the same success over 25 years, only theirs will be have been achieved at numerous clubs, which for me makes it even more special .
people are too harsh on Arsene Wenger... when he had a free (or free enough) reign at Arsenal (let's call it the Highbury era), he and Arsenal were awesome... top 2 for 8 years (?), 3 premiership titles, 3-4 FA Cups, 2 double winning seasons, an invincible season and Arsenal's to date sole appearance in a European Champions Cup/League final

but the new stadium had two very important consequences to Arsene Wenger's legacy: (1) he would have to operate on a stricter budget and thus, Arsenal in effect became a selling club losing the likes of Sagna, Clichy, Van Persie, Nasri etc. to rivals in England and others (eg. Fabregas) to continental rivals and had to rely on more budget options (eg. Arteta the player); and (2) he was bound to stay with Arsenal as manager because the banks insisted on it before giving money to the club for the stadium to be built and this was despite Wenger getting interest from Real Madrid

and the result was a decade of Champions League football and earnings but no trophies in the Emirates era

as for long term managers at the one club getting stale, in truth that can happen to any manager in the game for too long, regardless of how many clubs they are at (eg. Mourinho)

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
people are too harsh on Arsene Wenger... when he had a free (or free enough) reign at Arsenal (let's call it the Highbury era), he and Arsenal were awesome... top 2 for 8 years (?), 3 premiership titles, 3-4 FA Cups, 2 double winning seasons, an invincible season and Arsenal's to date sole appearance in a European Champions Cup/League final

but the new stadium had two very important consequences to Arsene Wenger's legacy: (1) he would have to operate on a stricter budget and thus, Arsenal in effect became a selling club losing the likes of Sagna, Clichy, Van Persie, Nasri etc. to rivals in England and others (eg. Fabregas) to continental rivals and had to rely on more budget options (eg. Arteta the player); and (2) he was bound to stay with Arsenal as manager because the banks insisted on it before giving money to the club for the stadium to be built and this was despite Wenger getting interest from Real Madrid

and the result was a decade of Champions League football and earnings but no trophies in the Emirates era

as for long term managers at the one club getting stale, in truth that can happen to any manager in the game for too long, regardless of how many clubs they are at (eg. Mourinho)
I rate Wenger, he actually transformed how football teams should play in the PL . An innovative coach who thought outside the box in his early tenure , just like Klopp in my opinion who has implemented his very own Gergenpress with relatively quick success.
And whilst I agree with most of your observations there is an important factor omitted as to why Arsenal became a selling club and that is the emergence of big spenders like Chelsea, Man City and other foreign clubs who inflated the transfer market by blowing all teams out of the water.
Wenger just like Klopp will not pay overs for players that will not make the difference.
Arsenals early success was partly due Wenger uncovering gem players without spending too much money. The emergence of those big spending clubs however changed the football landscape .

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

His love of Arsenal was his undoing as he must've seen the direction it was going in. Like Fergie in some ways, he probably should've stood up to the owners a little more and left earlier so not to tarnish his legacy. As you say, selling those key players to a rival realyl destroyed what he had created, and there was few places to go after that than anywhere but down.

It's a shame that his legacy was blackened in such a way. Wish he'd left earlier. You could say the same about Fergie in some ways also, because perhaps he should've left earlier so the club would've had to have grown quicker.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a real shame what's become of Arsenal in all honesty. Once a great side but ...