News Last drinks: The tough conversation Gus Gould needs to have

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a sponsor. Let him talk. What is the big deal?

The bloke can be very influential. Why would you want to shut him up? Might be controversial but he's a Bulldogs fan so lets see if he can help push us into good positions.

I don't believe he's like our former chairman who wanted to be Politis but rather than do things to help the club was only interested in their own pockets.
Any true bulldog fan would be happy the way we handled the drama with that scum player

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, he deserves a fourth chance, given the first offence was the club's fault, the second wasn't a breach of contractual obligations and the third was such a minor incident. Uncle Arthur can multitask. He can look out for both the club and the fine young man he has befriended.
Omfg this guy doesn’t stop. Why are u calling another Grown man “uncle”

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
never liked the old flog from the start, if he can't keep his mouth shut he can take his "sponsorship" and fuck off,the last thing the club needs is this prick getting in the way of the rebuild, Financially we don't need him anyway.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have close connections to 3 of our current sponsors/advertisers, none of whom is Laundy Hotels, and they get very good value for their advertising dollars. They know this because they measure it, regularly during the season, in many different ways. They compare it with other forms of advertising, rated on impact versus spend and high visibility NRL advertising ranks very highly. For example the video broadcasters provide detailed analysis of the time spent during a game where each advertisers’ logo is identifiable by the viewers, also why the ratings of each game is important and obviously on what and when it is broadcast. This is how the value of advertising is allocated to each of the locations on the team gear, front of jumper is x dollars, sleeve is y dollars, etc.
Always a Bulldog
TARP. Its hardly a new mechanism and like footy stats can be manipulated to provide a positive outcome. Mate, you would be a perfect example of a good target for any sponsorship salesperson. Twin, this stuff is my bread n butter. so all I can say is most of what you said in your post is what sponsorship was sold as 40 years ago, stickers, logos, tickets and meet and greets.. Nobody shells out $100,000's of dollars let alone millions for that rubbish anymore.

I will guarantee all 3 of the sponsors you mention will have a personal love for the club in their decision or directly leverage their associations for a business reason and not because of the perceived "value" of being a sponsor. The tickets, player appearances etc. are just fluff and the audience/reach media figures are used to suit a purpose.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
TARP. Its hardly a new mechanism and like footy stats can be manipulated to provide a positive outcome. Mate, you would be a perfect example of a good target for any sponsorship salesperson. Twin, this stuff is my bread n butter. so all I can say is most of what you said in your post is what sponsorship was sold as 40 years ago, stickers, logos, tickets and meet and greets.. Nobody shells out $100,000's of dollars let alone millions for that rubbish anymore.

I will guarantee all 3 of the sponsors you mention will have a personal love for the club in their decision or directly leverage their associations for a business reason and not because of the perceived "value" of being a sponsor. The tickets, player appearances etc. are just fluff and the audience/reach media figures are used to suit a purpose.
An interesting perspective, first to admit that advertising, marketing and promotions are not my thing, I am simply interested in the results, not how they are achieved. I can give an example of one of our major advertisers who is a lifelong StGeorge supporter, member of their club, but he chooses to advertise with us for a number of reasons. The location on our jumper is one, as was the availability of players and coaches for his corporate activities, his offices are much closer to Belmore than Illawarra, he likes the corporate facilities at Stadium Australia and he uses the Leagues Club often for his company functions He operates in business to business so he doesn’t really care that much about the “retail” consumer that watches games and sees his logo. Most of what I posted is exactly why he advertises with us and not StGeorge.

I know another sponsor whose offices are interstate, but a lot of his customers are in Sydney, he has no interest whatsoever in rugby league, let alone any attachment to us. He originally came to us via one of his customers who took him to someone else's corporate box and he realised the potential for his Sydney marketing. His growth in Sydney he attributes a decent proportion to his involvement with us, correctly or not.

Our corporate advertisers are a disparate bunch, for sure some are lifeling Bulldogs supports, many 2nd or 3rd generation. But a lot are not and are with us for their own varied reasons.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Seems like (T)Rashays was one example of a potential sponsor that had no particular emotional attachment to the club, but saw advertising through an NRL sponsorship as a good choice since they went elsewhere after jumping ship on us. I know that in many cases sponsors would have that emotional attachment, but not in every example. Sometimes it probably just makes good business sense to them. Value on many things is all about perception. Some people look at a rolex as something they have to have for their image. I look at a rolex as a huge waste of money considering I could get a perfectly functional watch for a fraction of the cost. So for some business owners it might be good for them to take clients to corporate functions at the leagues club where the bulk of the catering etc is done for them and they can arrange a guest speaker at the same time. A two birds with one stone deal. saves time/money booking venues, guest speakers and catering, while adding to the perception that the business is doing well when they host events for potential clients.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An interesting perspective, first to admit that advertising, marketing and promotions are not my thing, I am simply interested in the results, not how they are achieved. I can give an example of one of our major advertisers who is a lifelong StGeorge supporter, member of their club, but he chooses to advertise with us for a number of reasons. The location on our jumper is one, as was the availability of players and coaches for his corporate activities, his offices are much closer to Belmore than Illawarra, he likes the corporate facilities at Stadium Australia and he uses the Leagues Club often for his company functions He operates in business to business so he doesn’t really care that much about the “retail” consumer that watches games and sees his logo. Most of what I posted is exactly why he advertises with us and not StGeorge.

I know another sponsor whose offices are interstate, but a lot of his customers are in Sydney, he has no interest whatsoever in rugby league, let alone any attachment to us. He originally came to us via one of his customers who took him to someone else's corporate box and he realised the potential for his Sydney marketing. His growth in Sydney he attributes a decent proportion to his involvement with us, correctly or not.

Our corporate advertisers are a disparate bunch, for sure some are lifeling Bulldogs supports, many 2nd or 3rd generation. But a lot are not and are with us for their own varied reasons.

Always a Bulldog
Yep, that's why I said there normally is another business reason behind wanting to be a sponsor if not emotionally attached. My reference on value for money though stands because you simply don't get the same value as direct advertising, but if used with other assets of the package it can be worthwhile particularly if there is a longer term plan. Jaycar was the same, he wasn't a Dogs supporter, neither is Arthur.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lol, I like that. But yeah, this was more a Bio-security risk, I think this point was overlooked the entire time. Unfortunately, Adam’s not a cat with 9 lives, he ran out at 4…
How was kissing her a biosecurity risk, when being in the same restaurant was not? Still waiting for someone to explain that. Most people who catch COVID don't catch it while kissing. Close proximity is generally enough. Bio bubble breach, my backside.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems like (T)Rashays was one example of a potential sponsor that had no particular emotional attachment to the club, but saw advertising through an NRL sponsorship as a good choice since they went elsewhere after jumping ship on us. I know that in many cases sponsors would have that emotional attachment, but not in every example. Sometimes it probably just makes good business sense to them. Value on many things is all about perception. Some people look at a rolex as something they have to have for their image. I look at a rolex as a huge waste of money considering I could get a perfectly functional watch for a fraction of the cost. So for some business owners it might be good for them to take clients to corporate functions at the leagues club where the bulk of the catering etc is done for them and they can arrange a guest speaker at the same time. A two birds with one stone deal. saves time/money booking venues, guest speakers and catering, while adding to the perception that the business is doing well when they host events for potential clients.
Yeah, I think you missed my point Allan. There is value in sponsorships in the correct settings but the low hanging fruit most commercial managers seek when looking for sponsors is any easy connection to what ever is being sponsored (individual/team or organization). Honestly mate, having been involved with packages both in their thousands as well as a few in the $M's, sponsorships true value is smoke and mirrors and a great story.

A great case for sponsorship in some instances can be made when certain synergy's align but a fair percentage usually has a connection for one reason or another.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Covid is ripping the heart out of the Hotel industry, will we even have a sponsor if things don't improve?
Absolutely. He must be losing money hand over fist...

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
why doesnt laundy just give adam elliott a job in 1 of his hotels hes got nothing to be worried about does he

laundy should be seen and not heard, hes a nobody in the nrl

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My husband's company are very loosely affliated with the Broncs. Not major sponsors but nevertheless associated with them. They promote the leagues club in newsletters and social club organises bus trips. Monthly staff prizes to Broncs games and use of corporate box and SOO and player meet and greets etc.

No one follows the club from my knowledge but it was the most successful club in Brisbane so I guess that was why and they wanted in on the captive audience and feel good benefits of a certain segment of the public.

They sponsor individual junior teams in the communityfor the same reason I guess.

All sponsorship has a place.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
did Laundy criticize asiata signing due to it occurring after Elliot release lol... "rhetorical question"....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My husband's company are very loosely affliated with the Broncs. Not major sponsors but nevertheless associated with them. They promote the leagues club in newsletters and social club organises bus trips. Monthly staff prizes to Broncs games and use of corporate box and SOO and player meet and greets etc.

No one follows the club from my knowledge but it was the most successful club in Brisbane so I guess that was why and they wanted in on the captive audience and feel good benefits of a certain segment of the public.

They sponsor individual junior teams in the communityfor the same reason I guess.

All sponsorship has a place.
Just another reason why there needs to be another team in Brisbane.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How was kissing her a biosecurity risk, when being in the same restaurant was not? Still waiting for someone to explain that. Most people who catch COVID don't catch it while kissing. Close proximity is generally enough. Bio bubble breach, my backside.
It’s ok, denial can be difficult at first, but once you come to terms with it all, you’ll find some inner peace.

If you do feel strongly about it, don’t waste your precious breath on a Bulldog fan forum, knock yourself out venting to old mate:
pvlandys@racingnsw.com.au

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Who wrote this drivel?

Uncle Arthur is the conscience of this club and adds much needed financial clout. People are just uncomfortable about the fact he spoke truth about Elliott and tapped into their barely repressed feelings of guilt over their shitty behaviour. Thank you for being a good bloke, Uncle Arthur. The sooner you have Warburton's job, the better.
Fmd you are consistent :tearsofjoy:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It’s ok, denial can be difficult at first, but once you come to terms with it all, you’ll find some inner peace.

If you do feel strongly about it, don’t waste your precious breath on a Bulldog fan forum, knock yourself out venting to old mate:
pvlandys@racingnsw.com.au
Avoiding the question because you don't have a rational answer, hey?