News The Mole: Bulldogs forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner's career in doubt after injury setback

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Never reached the heights he showed coming up. Medically retiring him would be a big win for us

Reactions: DT

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No rush, plenty of time to determine how is recovery is progressing, as Gus tweeted be patient.

BTW to medically retire a player all 3 parties have to agree, the payer, the club and the NRL, I suspect that right now there is no farkin way RFM will agree to being medically retired. Maybe if his rehab stalls he might be more agreeable, but right now forget it.

Always a Bulldog

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Never reached the heights he showed coming up. Medically retiring him would be a big win for us
Contract is up at the end of 2022 there is no need. We hold all the cards, either he re-signs for less (minimum wage) or we don't retain him.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Time is up and the RFM lovers will be in crisis soon enough when the last of the deadwood is cleared.
Mate I’m not an RFM lover! I’m just saying that he isn’t reserve grade standard when fully fit. When fully fit he represented NZ and was our leading try scorer last year.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Liability outweighing value. I wouldn't mind if he could be taken off the books, should the opportunity present.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Shaun Lane > RFM. Fact.

And Shaun Lane isn't even a rep player.
Shaun Lane is one of the top back rowers in the comp. I don’t get where you’re going with this. I thought you said he was a reserve grade standard player. Wtf

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately for RFM, it's Gould's way of gently moving him on !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shaun Lane is one of the top back rowers in the comp. I don’t get where you’re going with this. I thought you said he was a reserve grade standard player. Wtf
Lane's an average second rower. When fit RFM's a do the job, sometimes quality (I think Foran really helped him last year) second rower.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope his recovery goes well because we're short on edge backrowers

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Lane's an average second rower. When fit RFM's a do the job, sometimes quality (I think Foran really helped him last year) second rower.
Yeah look this does sum him up pretty well

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think there's any salary cap benefit for him being medically retired anyway because he's in the final year of his contract. So looks like we're stuck with him and hopefully he recovers well enough to contribute something.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings about RFM in terms of his ability. He's a big unit with plenty of strength and he used to have an offload. But quite often through his career I've seen him go through months where he'd try those jinking runs with some hit, spin and skip towards the wings every time he got the ball. When he just focused on hitting the line hard I was a fan. He's big and strong enough to be verging on being a scary forward for defenders. When he tried to be fancy with all his footwork and crap he just killed any momentum the outside backs might start with causing them to get the ball flat footed if he decided to pass it. If I'd coached him I'd have told him that if he ran 1/3 of the metres sideways as he did forwards on more than three carries he'd spend a few weeks in reserve grade. So yeah, rocks or diamond player in my opinion.

I don't wish premature retirement on any of our players though and I hope he makes a full recovery and returns as a diamonds type of player.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I’m not an RFM lover! I’m just saying that he isn’t reserve grade standard when fully fit. When fully fit he represented NZ and was our leading try scorer last year.
Yeah he's far from deadwood, damaging runner and as long as he recovers well he'll improve with better players around him