Official John Asiata joins the Bulldogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Bulldogs sign John Asiata on one year deal

The Bulldogs have added another piece to their forward pack for next season, with the signing of Brisbane Broncos utility, John Asiata, on a one-year deal.

Having made his debut for the Cowboys in 2014, Asiata, was part of their Premiership winning side in 2015, going on to play 128 matches for the broncos.

The 28 year-old has represented both Tonga and Samoa at International level, and has shown a versatility in his game that can see him cover a number of positions.

He is also renowned for the charity work he does off the field, having twice been the recipient of the Cowboys' Clubman of the Year Award.

Bulldogs Chief Executive, Aaron Warburton, believes that Asiata will be a tremendous addition to the club's forward pack for next season:

"By signing someone of John's experience and versatility for next season, we believe that we have found a player who will be a great addition to our club.

With forwards such as Tevita Pangai Junior, Paul Vaughan and Josh Cook joining us, plus retaining a strong nucleus from our current squad, we think that John will bring a level of skill and leadership that will greatly complement that group.

John, is also extremely active in regards to his work in the community, and that is something that was extremely important to us.

We are really excited about the squad that we have assembled and can't wait to see them together for pre-season."

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If he's on close to minimum wage as a back-up/depth option (as a prop?) I'm okay with this. If he gets an opportunity due to injuries/suspensions in the future and takes that opportunity then I don't mind him being in the 17. At this stage I don't see him as being in our best 17 tho and I hope Barrett doesn't try to force him in like he did with past recruits around this level of player.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a fan of this signing but happy to be proven wrong.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Atleast it’s just a year. Could have been a 3 year 2 million dollar deal like Napa :p

I don’t see much value in this signing. But with the departure of Elliot (consider Asiata would be on much less then him) he could possibly plug some mins for us off the bench. Like Mr Shhhh said hope it’s the end of the likes of Waddell getting big mins.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully nothing more than a bench player on close to minimum wage. His ball playing gives us something different in the pack but the other parts of his game are pretty average.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like the signing. Only one year and he wouldn't be on much. Asiata can play the linking forward in the middle, which is the TBaz model. Hopefully this takes some pressure off the halves and gives them more space. Biggest concern is injuries.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Baz is not going to move Jackson back to the second row

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like the signing. Only one year and he wouldn't be on much. Asiata can play the linking forward in the middle, which is the TBaz model. Hopefully this takes some pressure off the halves and gives them more space. Biggest concern is injuries.
How did he play for BOTH Tonga and Samoa? Like, isn't that illegal?

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too bad if at a smaller contract maybe about half of Elliot's contract. Thought he was older 30+ but only 28 still should have some good years left in him. Would expect him to be a middle forward on the bench and with Hetherington looking like moving to an edge not a bad option.

Pack for next looks like

Vaughn
JMK/Cook
Thompson
Hetherington
TPJ
Jackson

Bench
Ava
Asiata
RFM

Patolo would be the next middle forward for suspensions/injuries. Maybe by end of year he may have leap frogged Ava or Asiata.

Have I missed anyone?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did he play for BOTH Tonga and Samoa? Like, isn't that illegal?
Hahaha...if its not it should be. Asiata is Samoan but I think there was some Tongan connection on one side of his fam. He just didn't want to be coached by that flop Matt Parrish