The "R U OK ?" Thread

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How we all doing, fam?
I don't get to chose when I take annual leave, I am on the 5th and final week of my leave and I have barely left the fucking house.

As an essential worker at least I have been able to get out and about.

We had planned to go away for a couple of weeks and NOPE!!!!

So, I have spent 5 weeks homeschooling 2 autistic children... It is not fun... lucky i love the little creatures.

That said, I have no doubt in comparison to a lot of people out there, I am doing OK

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get to chose when I take annual leave, I am on the 5th and final week of my leave and I have barely left the fucking house.

As an essential worker at least I have been able to get out and about.

We had planned to go away for a couple of weeks and NOPE!!!!

So, I have spent 5 weeks homeschooling 2 autistic children... It is not fun... lucky i love the little creatures.

That said, I have no doubt in comparison to a lot of people out there, I am doing OK
beat thing you can do is help out those little children, doing a fantastic job.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've hit the point of tired where I feel like I resemble my laptop. Leave me idle for 5 minutes or more and I fall asleep.

Been working in a nursing home kitchen for a few months and since lockdowns began I've been getting about triple the number of shifts. Not a bad thing to be kept busy while a lot of people are stuck at home bored. But it's hit the point of being ridiculous. Most weeks I get 1 day off and have been doing double shifts (13 hour days) 2 or 3 days out of 6 because the nursing home I work at didn't really split the workers properly over their 2 facilities (1 specializes in dimentia care etc and the other just regular aging). Even had 2 fortnights where I've done 13 day stints with only 1 day off. Been doing 50-60 hours per week and was dealing with it well until last week when the cook I was mostly working with decided I'm the devil and I need character assassination. Spent three days not being able to sleep until I spoke to the kitchen manager about the fact that this cook Karen was flat out lying about things. Kitchen manager basically said that Karen has a habit of doing this with every worker she's had to spend time alongside and not to worry, they know I'm a good worker, not the devil etc. But three sleepless nights have made me hit the wall in terms of energy. Worst part is I won't get a break from working with this nutcase and I still have to play nice and pretend I don't want to tell Karen that she's a ****. Not sure why they're still employing somone like this that can very quickly make work a fucking miserable place for others. Seems like bad business to have someone like this in the roster.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've hit the point of tired where I feel like I resemble my laptop. Leave me idle for 5 minutes or more and I fall asleep.

Been working in a nursing home kitchen for a few months and since lockdowns began I've been getting about triple the number of shifts. Not a bad thing to be kept busy while a lot of people are stuck at home bored. But it's hit the point of being ridiculous. Most weeks I get 1 day off and have been doing double shifts (13 hour days) 2 or 3 days out of 6 because the nursing home I work at didn't really split the workers properly over their 2 facilities (1 specializes in dimentia care etc and the other just regular aging). Even had 2 fortnights where I've done 13 day stints with only 1 day off. Been doing 50-60 hours per week and was dealing with it well until last week when the cook I was mostly working with decided I'm the devil and I need character assassination. Spent three days not being able to sleep until I spoke to the kitchen manager about the fact that this cook Karen was flat out lying about things. Kitchen manager basically said that Karen has a habit of doing this with every worker she's had to spend time alongside and not to worry, they know I'm a good worker, not the devil etc. But three sleepless nights have made me hit the wall in terms of energy. Worst part is I won't get a break from working with this nutcase and I still have to play nice and pretend I don't want to tell Karen that she's a ****. Not sure why they're still employing somone like this that can very quickly make work a fucking miserable place for others. Seems like bad business to have someone like this in the roster.
I know this sounds cliche but the best way is just to not think of this Karin as a person that wants to offend you.. personally.. but rather what you represent… Whether that you pose some stupid threat in her mind or she just thinks she’s better than you… But she doesn’t know you… I used this trick with school kids when i was a teacher..kids didn’t know me..I don’t me it’s what I represent and if you think about it that way nobody can annoy you at work .:blush:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about it mate. I've been there too many times and it's one of the main reasons I quit working as a chef. It just drains the life out of you. I don't know what it is about working in a kitchen but it always leads to conflict. And there's always that one person who thinks they are king shit. It's usually cooks. I would have apprentices that would approach me telling me that the cooks told them not to listen to me. Usually because they watched some cooking show and decided that they now know everything there is to know about cooking.

It's not fun and it drains the life out of you.

I had one chef I worked with that would always tell a story that cracked me up. He got called up to jury duty and the case was about a heated kitchen argument that lead to one chef killing the other. The bloke I worked with stood up and said, "sorry. Can't do this as I'm tempted to do the same thing everyday"

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know this sounds cliche but the best way is just to not think of this Karin as a person that wants to offend you.. personally.. but rather what you represent… Whether that you pose some stupid threat in her mind or she just thinks she’s better than you… But she doesn’t know you… I used this trick with school kids when i was a teacher..kids didn’t know me..I don’t me it’s what I represent and if you think about it that way nobody can annoy you at work .:blush:
I'm personally over it but haven't had time to get over being tired. For a few days this week I wasn't sure how well she was able to manipulate the management at work. Have worked with people that use management to manipulate things if they want people gone from jobs in my 20 years of working life and she totally fits that bill. So the worry of knowing that she'd been in the job for more years than I have months there meant I was getting about 3 hours of sleep a night on top of the long hours at work. I just didn't know if she was going to undermine me in the job and try as I might I'm not brilliant at clearing this type of thing from my mind when I lay down to sleep.

Brief rundown of the three days that bought the lack of energy on.
Sunday- Start 13 hour shift at 6 am. Get bacon eggs and tomato plus porridge in oven, go to set tables 45m away from kitchen door. Karen comes in early to put sunday roast on, rings doorbell 6 times before I have time to get to the door, I open it and say "can you ring that again please I'm getting really fond of it" while giving her a dirty look (she's not supposed to enter there anyway, all workers are meant to enter the main entrence and do temperature checks while this covid shutdown is on).
-5 hours later kitchen manager comes in and I get chewed out about supposedly not following Karens orders (complete lie). I don't get the right of reply while Karen speaks in her saddest voice while I try to defend myself about the accusation. I have the feeling that this is the first in a series of complaints. Go home angry and can't really sleep.
Monday- (second day in a row of 13 hour shifts) Hear Karen asking nursing staff if she hears how I talk to her multiple times throughout the day, so I decide I'm just going to speak when spoken to in a polite manner.
- About 3 hours from finishing time she practically yells at me that if I'm not going to talk to her she's going to take this up with the CEO of the nursing home and would I like to go now? I tell her I'm busy, I can't usually hear her when I'm near the dishwasher and that for most of the rest of the day I'm working 40 plus metres from her and I don't like to shout, but if she wants to take it to the CEO that's fine with me. Total silence for the next hour before she clocks off, but she's banging every pot and pan she touches and looking at me like daggers. I still have two hours till closing up after she leaves which is nice since I'm already wanting to tell her to go fuck herself and if she'd been there I probably would have.
-Go home and can't sleep again since I think a shitstorm is heading my way.
Tuesday- The registered nurse on duty comes and asks me to put silverside on for lunch since Karen has called in sick and the kitchen manager will be in to cook today.
- Wendy (kitchen manager comes in) I jump straight in and say I suspect Karen is off because she felt I wasn't talking to her on monday and go over what I've written above with. Tell her that during her (Wendies) shifts with me she'll know I'm mostly quiet and follow instructions, but that if something needs to be done first I might take half an hour to do something I've been asked to do. Tell Wendy that I haven't tried to create any tension but that I think Karen is trying to undermine me since the Sunday morning incident. Wendy assures me that she's happy with my work, that Karen has found issues with everyone she's worked with and that she'll talk to the CEO about this since Karen has called for stress leave since I'm ignoring her. Later in the day CEO comes and tells me not to worry since Wendy has explained the situation.

So I know i can just relax and do my job now. But have still worked massive hours since this happened last week and have had just the 1 day off. Really can't wait for the nursing home to swap workers between the two locations so I can get more than a single day off and cut back from 2 or more double shifts every week. It's more about being tired now than stress about being undermined. But still not looking forwards to working with Karen again. I know that she can still make life difficult even if she doesn't undermine my job security.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about it mate. I've been there too many times and it's one of the main reasons I quit working as a chef. It just drains the life out of you. I don't know what it is about working in a kitchen but it always leads to conflict. And there's always that one person who thinks they are king shit. It's usually cooks. I would have apprentices that would approach me telling me that the cooks told them not to listen to me. Usually because they watched some cooking show and decided that they now know everything there is to know about cooking.

I had one chef I worked with that would always tell a story that cracked me up. He got called up to jury duty and the case was about a heated kitchen argument that lead to one chef killing the other. The bloke I worked with stood up and said, "sorry. Can't do this as I'm tempted to do the same thing everyday"
I'm not trying to establish a waterproof method of getting off if someone dies due to this dispute but for scholarly purposes, did the your workmate know if the surviving chef got away with it, and if so how?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm personally over it but haven't had time to get over being tired. For a few days this week I wasn't sure how well she was able to manipulate the management at work. Have worked with people that use management to manipulate things if they want people gone from jobs in my 20 years of working life and she totally fits that bill. So the worry of knowing that she'd been in the job for more years than I have months there meant I was getting about 3 hours of sleep a night on top of the long hours at work. I just didn't know if she was going to undermine me in the job and try as I might I'm not brilliant at clearing this type of thing from my mind when I lay down to sleep.

Sunday- Start 13 hour shift at 6 am. Get bacon eggs and tomato plus porridge in oven, go to set tables 45m away from kitchen door. Karen comes in early to put sunday roast on, rings doorbell 6 times before I have time to get to the door, I open it and say "can you ring that again please I'm getting really fond of it" while giving her a dirty look (she's not supposed to enter there anyway, all workers are meant to enter the main entrence and do temperature checks while this covid shutdown is on).
-5 hours later kitchen manager comes in and I get chewed out about supposedly not following Karens orders (complete lie). I don't get the right of reply while Karen speaks in her saddest voice while I try to defend myself about the accusation. I have the feeling that this is the first in a series of complaints. Go home angry and can't really sleep.
Monday- (second day in a row of 13 hour shifts) Hear Karen asking nursing staff if she hears how I talk to her multiple times throughout the day, so I decide I'm just going to speak when spoken to in a polite manner.
- About 3 hours from finishing time she practically yells at me that if I'm not going to talk to her she's going to take this up with the CEO of the nursing home and would I like to go now? I tell her I'm busy, I can't usually hear her when I'm near the dishwasher and that for most of the rest of the day I'm working 40 plus metres from her and I don't like to shout, but if she wants to take it to the CEO that's fine with me. Total silence for the next hour before she clocks off, but she's banging every pot and pan she touches and looking at me like daggers. I still have two hours till closing up after she leaves which is nice since I'm already wanting to tell her to go fuck herself and if she'd been there I probably would have.
Tuesday- The registered nurse on duty comes and asks me to put silverside on for lunch since Karen has called in sick and the kitchen manager will be in to cook today.
- Wendy (kitchen manager comes in) I jump straight in and say I suspect Karen is off because she felt I wasn't talking to her on monday and go over what I've written above with. Tell her that during her (Wendies) shifts with me she'll know I'm mostly quiet and follow instructions, but that if something needs to be done first I might take half an hour to do something I've been asked to do. Tell Wendy that I haven't tried to create any tension but that I think Karen is trying to undermine me since the Sunday morning incident. Wendy assures me that she's happy with my work, that Karen has found issues with everyone she's worked with and that she'll talk to the CEO about this since Karen has called for stress leave since I'm ignoring her. Later in the day CEO comes and tells me not to worry since Wendy has explained the situation.

So I know i can just relax and do my job now. But have still worked massive hours since this happened last week and have had just the 1 day off. Really can't wait for the nursing home to swap workers between the two locations so I can get more than a single day off and cut back from 2 or more double shifts every week. It's more about being tired now than stress about being undermined. But still not looking forwards to working with Karen again. I know that she can still make life difficult even if she doesn't undermine my job security.
I think she fancies you..

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Karen is a fucking Karen.

Just say she sexually harasses you and you refuse now she wants to get rid of you.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think she fancies you..
If she does it's not at all mutual. There isn't enough beer to make her specific combination of tattoos and talking about how she's the victim in every situation attractive. Aside from that in the month or so I worked with her before this she talked about urinary tract infections just often enough to think that I'd want a hazmat suit to touch her unmentionables.

Karen is a fucking Karen.

Just say she sexually harasses you and you refuse now she wants to get rid of you.
I'd never met a Karen before that actually fit the Karen stereotype. Honestly just hoping the drama is over with her. Should be the last week that I have to work with her with any luck. If they allow staff from both facilities to interchange she'll go back to working at the other facility and they'll send a different cook to where I work when they need to.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was a chef for 10 years too. Packed it in. Stressful, unsocial hours, the drinking and lifestyle that comes with hospitality, shit money for a qualified tradesperson etc etc. I work in operations for a company that builds fuel tankers now, do my mon-fri normal day shifts and go home with more money than i was getting as a chef.