Official John Asiata joins the Bulldogs

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do people forget the huge contracts that Gus offered RCG and Blake? LOL. He might know as much as anyone in the game but don't act like he has never made mistakes, might as well delete the forum because "Gus is always right".
What were those offers? And what makes you think you know?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Most people (myself included) questioned signing Ava as he was past his best and had injuries etc. Look at how well that worked out. Hopefully Asiata can make a similar impact. He'd be signing for less than 200k on a short term deal and will be a bench or backup player so it's a low risk move.
I didn't question his singing and saw the value but apparently I'm the negative one on here :grinning:
He isn't a replacement for anyone, we're simply signing another middle because we have fuck all there.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we’re talking Blake as in Addin Fonda Blake, when did Gus make him an offer anyway?

For The Panthers? Never heard of that one.

And if you’re talking The Warriors, that deal was Pete O’Sullivan lead, with Brown and the rest signing off.

Gus wasn’t doing football dept stuff for the Warriors, let alone recruitment. Doubt they even asked his opinion seeing he’d just blown into the joint a month before.

Reactions: jof

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What were those offers? And what makes you think you know?
RCG signed a 5 year contract worth more than $4m with Gus in charge. Blakes contract was all over the place with reports, 4 year deal ranging from 550k at the start to 800k in the final year. I don't know what to make of that one overall other than even at the base range being reported it was a ridiculous contract.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
RCG signed a 5 year contract worth more than $4m with Gus in charge. Blakes contract was all over the place with reports, 4 year deal ranging from 550k at the start to 800k in the final year. I don't know what to make of that one overall other than even at the base range being reported it was a ridiculous contract.
And he walked away from that $4m contract did he? I suppose to sign for less with Parra.

And he had nothing to do with Blake.

You’re just guessing.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And he walked away from that $4m contract did he? I suppose to sign for less with Parra.

You’re just guessing.
He’s talking about Waqa Blake

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

You’re just guessing.
He didn't walk away from it, he still earned every cent of it with Penrith paying a fair chuck of his contract to play at Parrmatta.

Blake, Waqa Blake. Why are you talking about Fergo or AFB? Lol.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Waqa Blake….. I thought it was a fucking joke. I would sooner believe Blake Ferguson.

And where do you get your information from

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we sign Asiata it better be cheap. Not all elliots money.
He is barely an upgrade on Sione Kotoa, the other “international “ we just got rid of.

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Mate Jacko may not be the player he was but without his clean up work in defence, him taking the tough hit ups every time it’s needed & his leadership in this team we are a bunch of misfits who don’t understand the DNA of what it means to be a bulldog. Jackson is the first player picked every time. Did you not see how we played this year when he was out? We were rudderless.

We will have a strong bench. I can't find a spot for Jackson in the starting. He sucks at second row and is probably the 3rd best lock in the side.

Duffty
JAC
Naden
Shoupp
Cotric
Burton
Halfback
Vaughn
JMK
Thompson
TPJ
RFM
Asiata

Elliot
Jackson
Ava
Hetherington

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't see Asiata making our 17 full strength. I hope Barrett doesn't try to force him in like he did with other recruits of this level of player. If he takes his opportunity when an injury arises, sure.
There will be enough injuries and suspensions for him to play at least 10 games next season if he is fit, in fact going off of 2021 he could play 15+. I wouldn't have him in my ideal starting 17 at the moment (although I can appreciate that pre season training can change the views of those who make the decisions), however he is not far off.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate Jacko may not be the player he was but without his clean up work in defence, him taking the tough hit ups every time it’s needed & his leadership in this team we are a bunch of misfits who don’t understand the DNA of what it means to be a bulldog. Jackson is the first player picked every time. Did you not see how we played this year when he was out? We were rudderless.
The problem with Jacko is that Baz was getting him to ball play and he is just not a passer of the ball. So many times his passes go behind the intended runner. He also doesn’t dig into the line.

If he plays lock next year hopefully we don’t try and play that way again

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem with Jacko is that Baz was getting him to ball play and he is just not a passer of the ball. So many times his passes go behind the intended runner. He also doesn’t dig into the line.

If he plays lock next year hopefully we don’t try and play that way again
Name him lock, but play him as a defensive middle forward, we need him for that role, and he does it superbly. We also need someone in the team who can draw and pass like Radley does, or we need a total restructure on how our attack works. Are any of our fullback candidates known for drawing and passing?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Name him lock, but play him as a defensive middle forward, we need him for that role, and he does it superbly. We also need someone in the team who can draw and pass like Radley does, or we need a total restructure on how our attack works. Are any of our fullback candidates known for drawing and passing?
Yep not all teams play the lock as a ball player. Melbourne doesn’t.

Dufty will give us more options in the attacking zone. He is a decent passer of the ball.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Asiata or Peachey?