Official Gus on Twitter

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's not, at least not yet. Either way Baz has to tweak the system and play to our strengths because there isn't a top tier halfback at the club or on the market that can play the role he wants.
I think “not yet” is the key phrase.
Jahrome Hughes took time to develop and was not instantly a half.
Our club has to invest time into the talent and coach them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think “not yet” is the key phrase.
Jahrome Hughes took time to develop and was not instantly a half.
Our club has to invest time into the talent and coach them.
Yes we need to invest and coach young talent, but remember Melbourne have a system and a strong team that every player falls into, our case is different we've had way too many lean years and lack proper experience and leadership in the spine.
Long term solutions wouldn't solve our problems now, as a matter of fact all our progress will probably get derailed if we don't somehow immediately fix it !!!

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked him him who he sees as our halfback next year and didn't get a response. Has a he answered this previously?
How about a real long shot, that goes a little like this-

Averillo starts the season at 7.

James Maloney starts the season as our new halves coach.

After paying Maloney a great salary for his new role at the beginning of the season, 8 weeks into the season James comes out with

- the body feels great, the club is in a bit of a situation and after Baz & Gus put it to me, I jumped at the chance to help these young guys out for the rest of the season.

Did you see Gus's glowing remarks towards what Maloney is doing in England & in particular in his last game.

Maybe a tweet to Gus.

Is there any chance the Bulldogs might find a role for James Maloney on next years coaching staff if he's interested???
Would be valuable.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

After paying Maloney a great salary for his new role at the beginning of the season, 8 weeks into the season James comes out with

- the body feels great, the club is in a bit of a situation and after Baz & Gus put it to me, I jumped at the chance to help these young guys out for the rest of the season.

Did you see Gus's glowing remarks towards what Maloney is doing in England & in particular in his last game.

Maybe a tweet to Gus.

Is there any chance the Bulldogs might find a role for James Maloney on next years coaching staff if he's interested???
Would be valuable.
Yep, Gus said the Panthers halves wouldn’t be what they are today without Maloney’s influence. He likes a mature half to mentor the young guys coming through.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, Gus said the Panthers halves wouldn’t be what they are today without Maloney’s influence. He likes a mature half to mentor the young guys coming through.
Not sure about this one as I like Maloney but thought he looked a little cooked before he went to Europe. Maybe he is referencing Pearce or Benji?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sure about this one as I like Maloney but thought he looked a little cooked before he went to Europe. Maybe he is referencing Pearce or Benji?
Would be good having an experienced head in there without a doubt, tho unsure on Maloney. Surely he's past it?

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, it couldn't be any more clear to me that he isn't a halfback but I guess we'll see.
Spot on.

What Jake does well in games , he could do from any back line position. Not sure why we keep picking him at 7 when we are crying out for someone to. Rate for others and generally control the team.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maloney is going to play for FC Lezignan in the French competition, his family likes the south of France.

Always a Bulldog

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe a tweet to Gus.

Would be valuable.
Actually dont hate the idea but I can't see his Mrs wanting to leave the south of France for Bankstown hahah

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually dont hate the idea but I can't see his Mrs wanting to leave the south of France for Bankstown hahah
When he played for the Chooks and Cronulla he lived in the Shire, I think he still stayed there even when playing for Penrith. His place wasn’t far from Bupa’s.

Always a Bulldog

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Would be good having an experienced head in there without a doubt, tho unsure on Maloney. Surely he's past it?
Sorry, he didn’t suggest Maloney (talked him up though), just the thinking of a mature/seasoned half to nurture young guys coming through.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he played for the Chooks and Cronulla he lived in the Shire, I think he still stayed there even when playing for Penrith. His place wasn’t far from Bupa’s.

Always a Bulldog
Ah fair enough

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Very cryptic and somewhat interesting reply to a question asked of him about The Dogs taking advantage of The Campbelltown area -

“Watch this space.”

He was also talking about the area on NRL on Nine the other night in regards to The Tigers being stupid hanging onto Concord and not moving full time to Campbelltown.

While I don’t think it means we’ll be muscling into Campbelltown, I do believe and have for a while (based on some other things) that Liverpool is still very much a live option. I think we’re trying and been have for a while to get it onto Gladys’s list.