Opinion Could 2022 be like 2009?

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe but I doubt it we signed more experienced players that year hence the fact that we descended back down the ladder the next two years this recruitment drive has the potential to put us into a great position for years to come or it could put us right back where we started this mess let’s pray for the first one

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing anyone here is saying should be right for a club like ours but the sad truth everyone is correct a club like Canterbury should year in year out always there or there about hopefully there is a lot of improvement in our performance I’m thinking bottom of eight but would you call that a lot of improvement when you look at teams like Sharks or Titans or Dragons would you call that improvement?

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'll tell U what.. 2022 will be better than 2023.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And Kevin Moore was coach.Then sacked mid-season the following year.
No that was 2011, so he lasted 2.5 years.
Then Hasler came 2012 after Dymock was caretaker the rest of the year after Moore left.

I remember being at Round 1 2009. Coming off the spoon the year before we beat Manly who were Premiers. Moore joked after that game that he should resign ‘with a 100% win record’ :-).

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed, up there as one of the greatest games I’ve been too even despite the loss.
2003 against the storm was another good one.

I remember the "bring on the roosters" chant

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe but I doubt it we signed more experienced players that year hence the fact that we descended back down the ladder the next two years this recruitment drive has the potential to put us into a great position for years to come or it could put us right back where we started this mess let’s pray for the first one

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Because same as 2009 we had shit jerseys , big signings , similar signings from one team broncos ( panthers 2022) , and we are flying under the radar. Only difference is our coach has had a year, I’m giving Trent full support, if we sink in 2022 with the roster we have then sos .. my question is this .. who do we get to coach ? Who would fit our mould ? Not many coaches out there aside from toovey and Flanagan .

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before a ball is kicked we have to be aiming for finals. It's a longshot, but we should know after a couple of weeks if it's possible. Recruitment's been about a B+ (great for speed and kicking but we still need a hooker, and our halfback and edge forward options are pretty sus). For me our success will depend on whether TPJ, Thommo and Vaughan can win the middle often enough to give room for Burton to either spark the backline or kick us into good territory - and defence is pretty important of course.

2009 was a great success after excellent recruitment. We didn't have much depth outside the top 17 but didn't get many injuries which really helped. Would be nice if that happened again, and if the Suttons' and Cummins would piss off.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also am I the only one still dirty that we lost the minor premiership due to getting docked 2 points when we beat Penrith for Andrew Ryan being a 14th man on the field for 20 seconds

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we could make a team out of both it would be better.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the question should be, what's your definition of success with the 2022 roster?
At this stage with the roster we have, lacking experience in the spine and some quality on the edges, we should be competing for the 8.
There's a lot of risk in some of our key signings;
TPJ - Numerous off field issues, but on his day one of the best forwards in the comp.
Vaughan - metre eater we need to unlock Thompson, but not a strong leader which we also need.
Dufty - One of the best attacking fullbacks on his day, but the difference between his best and worst is significant and has issues defensively.
Naden - Gifted player, noted try scorer, but made the decision to get on the coke the night before the grandfinal? Is he mentally strong enough to go to the next level?
Burton - Looks like a superstar in the making but will he be able to make the players around him better like the really good players do, or will he drop a level due to the class of players around him.
If we somehow manage to buy a quality 9 and a tough forward leader I'd confidently say we'll make the 8 and be pushing the top 4, as it is, there's no doubt we'll be on the improve and if we play finals footy we've probably over achieved.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the question should be, what's your definition of success with the 2022 roster?
At this stage with the roster we have, lacking experience in the spine and some quality on the edges, we should be competing for the 8.
There's a lot of risk in some of our key signings;
TPJ - Numerous off field issues, but on his day one of the best forwards in the comp.
Vaughan - metre eater we need to unlock Thompson, but not a strong leader which we also need.
Dufty - One of the best attacking fullbacks on his day, but the difference between his best and worst is significant and has issues defensively.
Naden - Gifted player, noted try scorer, but made the decision to get on the coke the night before the grandfinal? Is he mentally strong enough to go to the next level?
Burton - Looks like a superstar in the making but will he be able to make the players around him better like the really good players do, or will he drop a level due to the class of players around him.
If we somehow manage to buy a quality 9 and a tough forward leader I'd confidently say we'll make the 8 and be pushing the top 4, as it is, there's no doubt we'll be on the improve and if we play finals footy we've probably over achieved.
Not trying to be a broken record but you fail to mention the worst performer of 21, Barrett. How does he fix/or improve the deficiency's you mention above?

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not trying to be a broken record but you fail to mention the worst performer of 21, Barrett. How does he fix/or improve the deficiency's you mention above?
Going off his record... I'm not sure that he can / will, though at this point I remain optimistic.
Having Gus as a sounding board will certainly help.
I'd like to see him develop an attacking style which compliments the players we have and is more inline with the current game.
A new defensive coach wouldn't hurt either.

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nope but we’ll be big improvers. In 09 we had an experienced fullback, Halfback and a hooker entering his prime. Our backs like Josh Morris and Jamal Idris were deadly. Our back 5 had 72 tries between them in 09, we might struggle to get that between our 30 man squad next year but we’ll definitely improve on this year

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We can if Kyle Flannagan is not our halfback.

Don't forget we recruited a mixture of experienced players and up and coming stars for 2009 coupled with Idris and Barba beginning to emerge that year as well,

We should've won that preliminary, but within the first 10 minutes i think it was Patten went down and he was our most consistent all year. Despite that we still led 12-6 at HT