News How Gould’s hands are all over Dogs; Jimmy Brings

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't get caught up in the hysteria about his "greatness". You are only as good as your last transaction in this business.. and he's done nothing notable recently.. I'll be happy to be proven wrong..
Nothing Gould has said to date is anything more than what has been expressed repeatedly on the kennel - juniors recruitment defence etc - but i do believe he will have a positive impact n improve things. However it still is all about coaching n player ability.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The one and only Augustus Phil Gould is already making his presence felt at Canterbury-Bankstown - the club he won a premiership with in his first season as a first grade coach all the way back in 1988.

There’s been plenty said and written about Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett’s treatment of halfback Kyle Flanagan this year but the truth is Gus was the one behind his latest NRL selection in Round 20.

Having started his new role as Canterbury-Bankstown general manager Gould suggested Barrett pick Flanagan at halfback and Corey Allan as fullback so the new Bulldogs boss could see what they might be able to bring to the club rolling forward.
It’s a smart play given the Bulldogs have got nothing doing aside from trying to avoid the wooden spoon for the remainder of the year.

Unfortunately the Dogs were carved up 34-6 by Gold Coast and Flanagan was subsequently axed for the third time this season - this time in favour of Jake Averillo and Bailey Biondi-Odo for Canterbury’s round 21 loss to Wests Tigers.

Allen was selected on the wing with the Melbourne-bound Nick Meaney returning to the fullback role.

It’s too harsh people lining up to kick Barrett when you look at the quality of the roster he’s had to work with. Judge the champion ex-playmaker when he gets a fair dinkum roster next year.

Source below
Ah Hooper. He didn't know how to spell Corey Allan's name so he did it 2 different ways in the article. And yes I will judge Barrett because players haven't improved let alone the halves under the halves whisperer & he purchases have been awful.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice analysis, enjoyed it a lot. Pretty clear from what Gus has said that this is how he sees things too, keeps referring to us as a club based on defense. The challenge is working out what that looks like in the current era.

It won't be popular with fans, but reckon we'll see a shift in focus in which the only forwards we sign that can bust things open in offense are also proven defenders under the current ruleset. Youngsters will be trained differently in defense so as to prioritise line speed, technique that avoids head contact and crusher scenarios, and lateral movement. Defense comes first, if they can also make tackle breaks that will be a bonus.
All good and valid points. There is much more to being a forward than just bending the line. Defence is important, as is having one or two that can offload, not just metre eaters.

Offloads are the key to beating teams like the Storm, who get numbers in the tackle picking off one out runners, dominate in the tackle, and reset their ten metres. Offloading upsets their defensive structure. No offloads=no hope of beating them.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking at the CRYSTAL BALL this is what I am seeing :grinning:
1. Changes in the defensive coaching.
2. Elliott to Canberra.
3. Stimson to Melbourne / anywhere ???
4. Pearce to be signed.
5. Smith for 2023 maybe 2022.
Remeber the crystal ball isn't very clear these days :grinning:
Does your crystal ball show Flanagan getting hit by a truck driven by a Bulldogs supporter? Asking for a friend.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I don't get caught up in the hysteria about his "greatness". You are only as good as your last transaction in this business.. and he's done nothing notable recently.. I'll be happy to be proven wrong..
Im not Hysterical nor emotional. I tend to be Logical in my approaches.
I guess that is how I am able to see the difference between Arrogance and Stupidity

As for Gus's "Last Transaction" as you put it. That would be inplementing the Oak Milk Sponsorship and pathways to Penriths current success.
or technically
Working with the warriors to implement junior pathways was his last transaction.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Its politics - you protect the brand by showing you are giving players every chance to protect their careers. He used the reality of where they are really at to leverage that momentum to move them out of the side and eventually out of the Club. These players have no intensity or sharpness to their game - they do not even look remotely capable of bending or breaking a line. Enough with powderpuffs - Napa needs to also go - he gives 10% of promise when he lifts his intensity, but goes back to 90% of the time hitting the snooze button during game time!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Offloads are the key to beating teams like the Storm, who get numbers in the tackle picking off one out runners, dominate in the tackle, and reset their ten metres. Offloading upsets their defensive structure. No offloads=no hope of beating them.
Yes, which is why Strom are so effective in the ruck, 3 in the tackle a lot of the time, slowing things down as well as stopping the offload.

This season our team has been relatively poor at taking advantage of offloads, too often on their heels and unprepared. We have been better at taking advantage of quick play the balls, but Strom are pretty good at limiting those opportunities as well. An 8m hit up with quick play the ball is often more advantageous than a 12m hit up with slow play the ball or with an offload to someone who was thinking of the next play.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He didn't need to see them play lol, we've already seen enough. Might've wanted to give them a final opportunity to show something before kicking then out the door
Yeah definitely... article written like he wanted to see them in action but no he wanted to see how they responded to the talk he gave them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does your crystal ball show Flanagan getting hit by a truck driven by a Bulldogs supporter? Asking for a friend.
Tell your friend not to be violent :tearsofjoy:
I could see someone on a donkey in a bus or is that a plane ? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
GUs is good at what he does but we shouldn't be looking to him as our saviour. He's still human and can still make mistakes, problem with our fans is we jump from one "saviour" to the next whether that be a coach, player or management.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Ah Hooper. He didn't know how to spell Corey Allan's name so he did it 2 different ways in the article. And yes I will judge Barrett because players haven't improved let alone the halves under the halves whisperer & he purchases have been awful.
Chisdog - loved the pickup with the spelling inconsistency. Well spotted indeed. My wife tells me I'm OCD about that kind of stuff, but she must be wrong because I didn't notice the "Allan" and "Allen" thing until you pointed it out. Cheers, RookieDog

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What the fuck did I just read? Was there even a point to this article other than to meet a quota?
It was written by James Hooper end of discussion! Anything he writes is negative or pointless or both!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
GUs is good at what he does but we shouldn't be looking to him as our saviour. He's still human and can still make mistakes, problem with our fans is we jump from one "saviour" to the next whether that be a coach, player or management.
A lot of saviours on the kennel, the club just needs to pick one [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know a lot of people on here are not,Corey Allan fans,but look back when he took over the fullback role at the rabbits,after the season ending injury to Mitchell,he was constantly one of their best,because he had a set of forwards in front of him,who were doing their job,I believe next year with the squad we are going to have,Allan will come into his own.
Geez you love your commas! :tongueclosed: do you say comma when you talk? :tearsofjoy:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett was a very good club footballer, but he wasn't a Johns, Fittler, Thurston type. Never handled the big pressure moments like those sort of players.
Come on Bazil… he played origin and for Australia he was a champion playmaker.. not an immortal but still a champion playmaker.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Come on Bazil… he played origin and for Australia he was a champion playmaker.. not an immortal but still a champion playmaker.
Cmon Bazil what..? Yes he was an international and played SOO. Do you remember him playing especially origin? I do and he wasn't a match winner, same at club level but was a very skillful player. I am not rubbishing his footy ability but I ceratinly wont talk up his mental toughness or his coaching ability as both are lacking.

Mate, I am sure a few think I am being a prick about him. I just don't agree about persisting with him after nearly 18 months of hoping he would prove everyone wrong, and that all his poor coaching results previously didn't reflect the talent he has for coaching. You have your opinion and you can stay hopeful.