Reaction score
Looking at the CRYSTAL BALL his is what I am seeing :grinning:
1. Changes in the defensive coaching.
2. Elliott to Canberra.
3. Stimson to Melbourne / anywhere ???
4. Pearce to be signed.
5. Smith for 2023 maybe 2022.
Remeber the crystal ball isn't very clear these days :grinning:
Defensive coaching is number 1 priority shit is bad.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd say JAC and TPJ are on overs.
TPJ maybe, we’ll have to see but JAC potentially brings the club so much more than just on field performances. He’s also top 5 winger in the world so it’s going to be handy tuition for our younger players. Also the energy he brings on the field and the defensive decisions he makes I’m looking forward to having him here.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot of people on here are not,Corey Allan fans,but look back when he took over the fullback role at the rabbits,after the season ending injury to Mitchell,he was constantly one of their best,because he had a set of forwards in front of him,who were doing their job,I believe next year with the squad we are going to have,Allan will come into his own.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This should of happened for at least a couple of weeks, if not the rest of the season. You can’t expect to see blokes have a combination for one game. Especially when there is currently no NSW cup being played. In all honesty we are none the wiser if the combo was any better or any worse. I still question why Avo has had so many chances in the halves? He has been the one constant this season and hasn’t combined well with any of the other options. He has played with Lewis, Wakeham and Flanagan, and now BBO. Maybe it’s time he is shifted to another position or given a few games off. He doesn’t seem to have been made accountable whatsoever for our shit house attack.
If you can't work out why averillo is in the halves with what we have available, then maybe you should try watching golf..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The number 1 key to a team improving or causing an upset result in any game is defence.

That's the first thing I focus on when I have started coaching a new team, particularly one who has not been regularly in semi finals.

This hasn't happened with the Bulldogs this year, because as many on TK have alluded to there are a number of lazy players or ones that are past it who are not putting in. The new fast paced game hasn't helped us either, neither had playing with well under 50% of possession most weeks. Some of that is of our own making, some is not.

If you look back over the years going right the way back to the St.George 11 Premierships in a row era, the best defensive team wins the comp most years. And it will be the same this year. Souths and Manly if they have to play without the ball for long periods like we have to, are too suspect in defence to challenge a Storm v Panthers decider.

I said at the time he was let go that Tolman's high work rate won't be replaced and it hasn't. He is the type of player you build a pack around because he is capable of playing big minutes, despite the obvious frustration that he gets in the way when we had the ball.

With the game being so fast now the emphasis on playing without the ball is now much more important than in previous years. If you leak 30 points a game on average, you won't get near the bug dance, let alone win it.
Again you have nailed it...Every team needs a Tolman in defence.
Ask all the great coaches and they will tell you...Great attack starts with great defence !

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The one and only Augustus Phil Gould is already making his presence felt at Canterbury-Bankstown - the club he won a premiership with in his first season as a first grade coach all the way back in 1988.

There’s been plenty said and written about Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett’s treatment of halfback Kyle Flanagan this year but the truth is Gus was the one behind his latest NRL selection in Round 20.

Having started his new role as Canterbury-Bankstown general manager Gould suggested Barrett pick Flanagan at halfback and Corey Allan as fullback so the new Bulldogs boss could see what they might be able to bring to the club rolling forward.
It’s a smart play given the Bulldogs have got nothing doing aside from trying to avoid the wooden spoon for the remainder of the year.

Unfortunately the Dogs were carved up 34-6 by Gold Coast and Flanagan was subsequently axed for the third time this season - this time in favour of Jake Averillo and Bailey Biondi-Odo for Canterbury’s round 21 loss to Wests Tigers.

Allen was selected on the wing with the Melbourne-bound Nick Meaney returning to the fullback role.

It’s too harsh people lining up to kick Barrett when you look at the quality of the roster he’s had to work with. Judge the champion ex-playmaker when he gets a fair dinkum roster next year.

Source below
So this "news story" by fox sports is simply stating what ever member of the kennel was saying when the teams were first named. Fucking lol! Great effort fox!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If he really wanted to see Flanagan and Allan in action, then he should of looked at video footage from from earlier in the year..

Seems like a destabilizing process and unnecessary.
Yes I don't understand why Gould would need Barrett to play Flanagan plus Allan at fullback.

He works at Channel Nine.

Can't he watch some replays ?
Gus is smart, he knew they would flop, making his job easier and justifying himself when it comes to punting them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus is smart, he knew they would flop, making his job easier and justifying himself when it comes to punting them.
Every Tom Dick and Harry knows who is failing but the problem for coach and management was damned if you did and damned if you don't, Gus 's opinions and decisions making are generally well respected...It makes the decision easier !!!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To ever underestimate the arrogance of Gus.. he could of made Barrett play them 2 just so he could show that he's got the power to do it and to show who's boss..
Good, Barrett needs to be put on notice..

Get over the Averillo hate, it's really not that hard to workout why he's still in the team.
You first, Hetho hater...

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To ever underestimate the arrogance of Gus.. he could of made Barrett play them 2 just so he could show that he's got the power to do it and to show who's boss..
Do not confuse Arrogance with Stupidity.

Gus may be Arrogant he is certainly not stupid.

Gus reputation is not built on the Decision making processes you outline.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Judge the champion ex-playmaker when he gets a fair dinkum roster next year. [/URL]
Probably the only reason people are so kind.

If it was another coach, who wasn’t a “Champion ex-playmaker”, would people be so kind?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably the only reason people are so kind.

If it was another coach, who wasn’t a “Champion ex-playmaker”, would people be so kind?
Barrett was a very good club footballer, but he wasn't a Johns, Fittler, Thurston type. Never handled the big pressure moments like those sort of players.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
with a big change coming next year teamwise im surprised not all players are putting their hands up and wanting to be a part of it. there have been some lack luster efforts from some guys that deserve them to spend a week on the sidelines. why do we keep dishing up the same sh*t and expect a different result.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do not confuse Arrogance with Stupidity.

Gus may be Arrogant he is certainly not stupid.

Gus reputation is not built on the Decision making processes you outline.
Sorry I don't get caught up in the hysteria about his "greatness". You are only as good as your last transaction in this business.. and he's done nothing notable recently.. I'll be happy to be proven wrong..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he manages to ship out Allan and Flanagan that’s a massive win. I was excited by these signings at the time. Looking back it seems Baz wanted a few big fishes to appease supporters and took a risk signing them. Unfortunately for him it’s backfired.
As any signing can do tbf.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The number 1 key to a team improving or causing an upset result in any game is defence.

That's the first thing I focus on when I have started coaching a new team, particularly one who has not been regularly in semi finals.

This hasn't happened with the Bulldogs this year, because as many on TK have alluded to there are a number of lazy players or ones that are past it who are not putting in. The new fast paced game hasn't helped us either, neither had playing with well under 50% of possession most weeks. Some of that is of our own making, some is not.

If you look back over the years going right the way back to the St.George 11 Premierships in a row era, the best defensive team wins the comp most years. And it will be the same this year. Souths and Manly if they have to play without the ball for long periods like we have to, are too suspect in defence to challenge a Storm v Panthers decider.

I said at the time he was let go that Tolman's high work rate won't be replaced and it hasn't. He is the type of player you build a pack around because he is capable of playing big minutes, despite the obvious frustration that he gets in the way when we had the ball.

With the game being so fast now the emphasis on playing without the ball is now much more important than in previous years. If you leak 30 points a game on average, you won't get near the big dance, let alone win it.
Nice analysis, enjoyed it a lot. Pretty clear from what Gus has said that this is how he sees things too, keeps referring to us as a club based on defense. The challenge is working out what that looks like in the current era.

It won't be popular with fans, but reckon we'll see a shift in focus in which the only forwards we sign that can bust things open in offense are also proven defenders under the current ruleset. Youngsters will be trained differently in defense so as to prioritise line speed, technique that avoids head contact and crusher scenarios, and lateral movement. Defense comes first, if they can also make tackle breaks that will be a bonus.