YOUNG PUP GIVEN TAP ON THE SHOULDER

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Had high hopes for him after what he did in the juniors but he hasn’t been able to deliver in the NRL. Sooner we can clear the deadwood the better.
I know size shouldn’t be a determining factor but I think the step up to first grade with the aggression and size he confronted was to much for him.

it’s a shame.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder who might take him? It may not be an easy sell as he is AVERAGE at best.

What's this Taylor fella on or even worth now ? too much i'm guessing for us to get him for "depth" ?
At one point the Tigers were interested in him because of McGuire. If McGuire remains the coach he might be still interested

If McGuire is sacked and Shane Flanno is the coach then they'll obviously take Kyle

I'd rather keep Wakeham as depth over Kyle

TBH I wouldn't mind Ash Taylor if we get him for $500K or less. He's not worth a million a year but he's definitely a good buy for the right price

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know size shouldn’t be a determining factor but I think the step up to first grade with the aggression and size he confronted was to much for him.

it’s a shame.
He has never really looked that comfortable in the NRL and size could definitely be a problem for him. To be brutally honest he’s probably got the worst kicking game for a halfback I have seen make it to first grade.

Good luck to him if he finds another club and I hope he does well but I think we will have trouble moving him on.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At one point the Tigers were interested in him because of McGuire. If McGuire remains the coach he might be still interested

If McGuire is sacked and Shane Flanno is the coach then they'll obviously take Kyle

I'd rather keep Wakeham as depth over Kyle

TBH I wouldn't mind Ash Taylor if we get him for $500K or less. He's not worth a million a year but he's definitely a good buy for the right price
You want to give Taylor 500k? LOL WHY?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is better than Jakob Arthur - might be a depth signing for a few clubs -

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it’s good the club is letting the players know where they stand early on, they need the time to look for another suitor.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol more of Baz's awful management at play.
How?

Wakeham lacks pretty much all the attributes required to be a first grade halfback and you wanna blame the coach for that?

He’s got one of the weakest long kicking games I’ve ever seen. If you can barely kick a ball 40 metres at his age then you’re beyond help in that department.

He is absent of a running game. At 80kgs dripping wet you’ve gotta have some speed and agility and he’s got neither.

Add mediocre defence, decision making and game management abilities to that and it’s mind blowing how anyone ever thought he’d be a good first grade half.

Barely above average passing and short kicking game and that’s literally all he’s got

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Burton we need a half who can compliment him. I feel the club needs a right side ‘organiser’ who can take the line on and has an equally good kicking game.
Players who off the top of my head are off contract or been told to move on
Brodie Croft
Ash Taylor
Riley Jacks
Cooper Johns
Sean O’Sullivan
Troy Dargin
Drew Hutchinson

Maybe offering one of these players a short term deal may help us
We can’t rely on Burton to be the sole play maker as teams will figure us out real quick and just squeeze him early on.
Avirello I think is more a long term fullback able to play a second 5/8 kind of role
Not sure what we have coming through our own juniors that we want to blood into first grade after probably not playing much consistent footy with covid

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really can’t blame wakeham the team as a whole hasn’t excelled. Put wakeham at the roosters or storm different ball game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
With Burton we need a half who can compliment him. I feel the club needs a right side ‘organiser’ who can take the line on and has an equally good kicking game.
Players who off the top of my head are off contract or been told to move on
Brodie Croft
Ash Taylor
Riley Jacks
Cooper Johns
Sean O’Sullivan
Troy Dargin
Drew Hutchinson

Maybe offering one of these players a short term deal may help us
We can’t rely on Burton to be the sole play maker as teams will figure us out real quick and just squeeze him early on.
Avirello I think is more a long term fullback able to play a second 5/8 kind of role
Not sure what we have coming through our own juniors that we want to blood into first grade after probably not playing much consistent footy with covid
BBO looks best capable of adapting his game to Burton of those choices.

Pity we didn't get Johnson.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This does raise a few other questions though.

Why has Wakeham been hit so hard for the Covid thing compared to the other four? Are they just using this as a excuse?

Why can’t Tbaz get halves to perform? He was credited for Cleary’s improvements and every single one of the halves on our roster has declined or stagnated. Even taking into account the forward pack they are playing behind it doesn’t reflect well on the coach.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How?

Wakeham lacks pretty much all the attributes required to be a first grade halfback and you wanna blame the coach for that?

He’s got one of the weakest long kicking games I’ve ever seen. If you can barely kick a ball 40 metres at his age then you’re beyond help in that department.

He is absent of a running game. At 80kgs dripping wet you’ve gotta have some speed and agility and he’s got neither.

Add mediocre defence, decision making and game management abilities to that and it’s mind blowing how anyone ever thought he’d be a good first grade half.

Barely above average passing and short kicking game and that’s literally all he’s got
Our best halves pairing has been Wakeham/Averillo this season while Wakeham has produced key attacking plays at a higher rate than anyone else in the squad.

This isn't a issue of pure ability for me it, it's squad management. Baz chased Flanagan, he chased Allan, both who will be earning potentially 400k next season but our answer is to flog off a bloke on 180k that probably wouldn't feature much at all next season? We've then re-signed Okunbor, Katoa, etc. Certain players go unpunished while others get a free run. The joint fucking stinks.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Why has Wakeham been hit so hard for the Covid thing compared to the other four? Are they just using this as a excuse?

Why can’t Tbaz get halves to perform? He was credited for Cleary’s improvements and every single one of the halves on our roster has declined or stagnated. Even taking into account the forward pack they are playing behind it doesn’t reflect well on the coach.
There's been reports of Wakeham having bad attitude to training for the past 2 or 3 years and that would certainly go a long way to explaining why he hasn't kicked on.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our best halves pairing has been Wakeham/Averillo this season while Wakeham has produced key attacking plays at a higher rate than anyone else in the squad.

This isn't a issue of pure ability for me it, it's squad management. Baz chased Flanagan, he chased Allan, both who will be earning potentially 400k next season but our answer is to flog off a bloke on 180k that probably wouldn't feature much at all next season? We've then re-signed Okunbor, Katoa, etc. Certain players go unpunished while others get a free run. The joint fucking stinks.
There's trouble in the camp that Gus needs to fix.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more about the COVID thing. The most senior player was Napa and he walks straight into the team. He was then supposed to be fronting the board and nothing happens.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I would say that Averillo has developed as a half under him to be fair. He's been poor this past month no doubt but I think that has more to do with opposition teams knowing he's literally the only attacking threat we have so they're all over him like white on rice as soon as he gets the ball.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Happy to see him go. His defence is horrible and his attack isn't good enough to merit being such a liability in defence.

However he's one of the halves I could see improving most under a better pack that gets us on the front foot more and allows him to play eyes up footy.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should go to Super League and develop his game and so should Flanagan, and Lewis

We're sweet with BBO and Burton with Averillo as back up 14 although I wouldn't mind re-signing Lewis for 1 year on minimum wage. He offers more than Averillo in the halves. Could be a stop gap cover in the centres also. If we can shop Wakeham and Flanagan we could keep Lewis and Averillo.