Six Again

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A lot has been spoken about the lop-sided six agains going against us.

Regardless of agendas of ref favouritism, there is one thing I’ve noticed about this rule: the call for a set restart (and the subsequent bell-ring and ‘10m/ruck infringement’ announcement happen so quickly that nobody has the time to scrutinise the call.

There is no game stoppage, no challenge available, the commentators don’t have time to comment on replays of the ‘penalty’ and the players have no time to dwell on it as they’re too busy defending.

Post-game press conferences aren’t able to pin point ‘that’ penalty that was controversial or that changed the game or momentum.

So is anyone actually looking at *every* six again call across all eight games to determine accuracy of the call? It feels very much that the six agains just happen and then fade into the past without any kind of review.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hate it and we appear to be pick on it badly coached
Of this rule

Take your pick

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kempy from Bloke in a Bar had a great theory on 6 Agains and there impact.

A 6 Again in tackle One has next to no impact compared to penalty where a kick for touch is allowed. Top teams constantly give away Six Agains on tackle 1 and 2 to allow there defensive line to set. If the defenders loose tackle 1 and quick PTB happens and team gets a roll on, then momentum has shifted and it's hard to get it back.

If you felt you lost the initial impact on tackle one, give away a six again, let he line set and go again. A six again on tackle one or two is much less significant than on tackle 4 or 5 especially if your coming out of your own end.

The stat of 6 agains at the end of the match is irrelevant as they have no bearing on what tackle that set restart was given.

In my opinion, set restarts should only be given when your in the attacking half of the field.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

A 6 Again in tackle One has next to no impact compared to penalty where a kick for touch is allowed. Top teams constantly give away Six Agains on tackle 1 and 2 to allow there defensive line to set. If the defenders loose tackle 1 and quick PTB happens and team gets a roll on, then momentum has shifted and it's hard to get it back.

If you felt you lost the initial impact on tackle one, give away a six again, let he line set and go again. A six again on tackle one or two is much less significant than on tackle 4 or 5 especially if your coming out of your own end.

The stat of 6 agains at the end of the match is irrelevant as they have no bearing on what tackle that set restart was given.

In my opinion, set restarts should only be given when your in the attacking half of the field.
Melbourne have been blatantly doing this since round 1.. I'm surprised it's taken the media this long to figure it out.. if there's a rule to manipulate, rest assured, Melbourne will exploit to it's max potential..

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This rule on its own has ruined the game. Giving the ref more control on who wins. refs now penalise one team and not the other. Giving possession dominance to one team has only one result. There is no scrutiny on the ref with this rule. The dogs have been victims of this rule if it is because their hated or regarded as losers the boys are up agaist it before the game starts

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

That's a really good point that you make. But will we see ruck infringements and 10m infringements reverting back to being penalised in the traditional way in the non-attacking half? Surely that just piggy backs the attacking team up the field anyway.

My issue is with the fact that very rarely is any 6-again call re-looked at or scrutinised by commentators, players, coaches or journalists.

This will always lead to people believing that refs hold a bias and it can potentially lead to refs who DO hold a bias being able to act on it without anyone really noticing or caring.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regardless of agendas of ref favouritism, there is one thing I’ve noticed about this rule: the call for a set restart (and the subsequent bell-ring and ‘10m/ruck infringement’ announcement happen so quickly that nobody has the time to scrutinise the call.

There is no game stoppage, no challenge available, the commentators don’t have time to comment on replays of the ‘penalty’ and the players have no time to dwell on it as they’re too busy defending.

Post-game press conferences aren’t able to pin point ‘that’ penalty that was controversial or that changed the game or momentum.

So is anyone actually looking at *every* six again call across all eight games to determine accuracy of the call? It feels very much that the six agains just happen and then fade into the past without any kind of review.
Exactly my complaint ever since this was introduced. Is anyone "independent" actually reviewing these decisions ? Are the referees even reviewing the decisions - if not then no one is making a fuss, whoever controls the referees or the referee themselves can have a big influence on games with no questions asked. It opens games up to widespread organised cheating.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Exactly what they want. The other issues are the repeat sets NOT awarded & when they are awarded to each team. Does one team receive them on zero tackle, the first & the other on the 4th & 5th tackles. All those things can make a big difference & add up.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So these set restarts are supposed to be instead of penalties. Would the referee be awarding all these penalties under normal circumstances? I doubt it otherwise the penalty counts have blown out. For example last weeks would have been Souths 13-4! This tells me the refs are over doing it.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly my complaint ever since this was introduced. Is anyone "independent" actually reviewing these decisions ? Are the referees even reviewing the decisions - if not then no one is making a fuss, whoever controls the referees or the referee themselves can have a big influence on games with no questions asked. It opens games up to widespread organised cheating.
of course they are.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if your team is ahead at half time.... you win!!!! Sound familiar?

garbo60

Waterboy
Reaction score
Exactly what they want. The other issues are the repeat sets NOT awarded & when they are awarded to each team. Does one team receive them on zero tackle, the first & the other on the 4th & 5th tackles. All those things can make a big difference & add up.
They hardly ever give 6 again on the 4th and 5th except against us

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will there be an impact on our six again snd penalty stats now Gus is signed?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
So these set restarts are supposed to be instead of penalties. Would the referee be awarding all these penalties under normal circumstances? I doubt it otherwise the penalty counts have blown out. For example last weeks would have been Souths 13-4! This tells me the refs are over doing it.
By the time the call is made, we're already into the next tackle, and can't see what the call was about. everyone is focused on the current play, not what just happened.

We need to wait for a game where the Dogs beat the Storm by 2 points, with a massive repeat set count going our way -then the media and Bellamy will blow up big time and the rules will be changed.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
AGAIN, hate it.!!! Unless it’s for us. Now that’s rocket science :tearsofjoy: !

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This rule on its own has ruined the game. Giving the ref more control on who wins. refs now penalise one team and not the other. Giving possession dominance to one team has only one result. There is no scrutiny on the ref with this rule. The dogs have been victims of this rule if it is because their hated or regarded as losers the boys are up agaist it before the game starts
I expressed great concerns for the game when the 6 again rule was first announced.
This rule gives the referees the green light to cheat and decide who wins or loses on the run and in a relatively unnoticed manner.
This rule has simply made it easier for the refs to cheat :rage:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Vossy you are the only one on the planet who is interested in the Olympics

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
no chance with this ref . 63% possession sharks we get a six again on first tackle