Official Bulldogs sign Tevita Pangai Junior for next three seasons

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai jnr now looks set to join Penrith for the rest of the 2021 season after a whirlwind round of negotiations over the past 48 hours.

Neither club is yet to make an official announcement but is expected to do so in the next 24 hours.

Penrith had dropped off the chase for Pangai but star prop James Fisher-Harris's return to Sydney from the South-East Queensland bubble for the next three weeks for the birth of his second child has prompted Panthers officials to reopen negotiations to strike a deal.

On Tuesday, Penrith had hosed down the possibility of Pangai landing at the club on a short-term deal given their salary cap status.

However, NRL.com understands they've revisited the possibility of luring the Broncos forward south and he will play out the rest of the season before he is expected to line up for Canterbury next season.

The Bulldogs are yet to officially announce his signing but it is understood they've beaten the Wests Tigers in the race for his services for 2022 and beyond.
This is one expensive baby for the Panthers!

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So there is a high chance that the panthers left side attack could be all future Canterbury players? Naden, Burton and Pangai? That is if they are in the field at the same time.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where to? The cities in lockdown!
So in the UK they had 46,558 cases yesterday & are opening up & in NSW they had 54 cases & they are locking down. That sounds right??? Maybe Gladys should check WHY they are opening up in the UK. Because people are losing their immunity & they fear a significant death toll from ordinary illnesses because of the immunity debt.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in the UK they had 46,558 cases yesterday & are opening up & in NSW they had 54 cases & they are locking down. That sounds right??? Maybe Gladys should check WHY they are opening up in the UK. Because people are losing their immunity & they fear a significant death toll from ordinary illnesses because of the immunity debt.
No arguments here.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are heavily vaccinated over their so the health care system is not getting overwhelmed.
We will follow suit and do the same thing when we hit our target of 80%.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope the pussy panthers remember this. We could have not signed him for next season if he changed teams this year, but instead Gus said he is happy for him to go there.

Atleast we won’t have to vs panthers again until the finals If we make it. Would hate for Pangai, burton and naden to rip us apart :p
Gee, you're optimistic.
Here I am hoping by some miracle, we dodge the spoon again this year and you're talking about top 8?
:confused:

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Only thing that worries me about TPJ is that I feel he is more of a follower than a leader....who ever survives the Kul at the end of the year will have to lead by example for us to get the best out of our newest recruit. Jacko's getting on in years, Elliott's a joke, Hetherington is a hot head and Thompson I love him but he is no James Graham. Maybe Ava can lead the way or Vaughan if and when we sign him.
Good point, but Thompson is the clear leader of the pack and probably future captain.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good point, but Thompson is the clear leader of the pack and probably future captain.
Captaincy at the Bulldogs is a bit of a poisoned chalice and honestly I would steer away from making any of our forwards captain as it seems to dull down their aggression and affect their attitude. We need our forwards to dominate, to humble the opposition not become passive aggressive as the recent past has shown. Micheal Ennis was a great leader and captain all others that followed him have succumb to the pressures of leading our pack.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
heres some oil,
Im hearimg from one of my old boys from d hood (BP) that one of the delays in this was due to the Mongols and the Finks having to sit down and break bread over a few things.
Went through smoothly after a meet somewhere in Brisbane and TPJ has been blessed to leave.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some seasons you have to sacrifice a spoon to be great and at the end of the day, even 2nd is no better than last…

We’re on the up, Good clubs don’t stay down long..
When was last time we made top 4?....2012. In the last 20 years we have waxed...under a cheating salary cap waned waxed again and waned since 2012. Given 16 Clubs, we should finish top 4, on average once every 4 years. Even with our much improved roster next year are we better than Storm, Penrith, Souths, Eels, Roosters? I don't think so. We are aiming 5 to 8 next year. Storm, Roosters, Penrith and Souths have been regulars in the top 4 for some time now, turning over many players. Our roster management is a work in progress in comparison to these sides.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When was last time we made top 4?....2012. In the last 20 years we have waxed...under a cheating salary cap waned waxed again and waned since 2012. Given 16 Clubs, we should finish top 4, on average once every 4 years. Even with our much improved roster next year are we better than Storm, Penrith, Souths, Eels, Roosters? I don't think so. We are aiming 5 to 8 next year. Storm, Roosters, Penrith and Souths have been regulars in the top 4 for some time now, turning over many players. Our roster management is a work in progress in comparison to these sides.
I think we forget quite easily there was a 20yr period between 1980-2000 we made the GF something like 50% of the time, between 2003 & 2006 we had possibly the best line up in our history and should have walked away with 2-3 Premierships, only landed the one… and of course our most recent GFs were in 2012 & 2014, that’s pretty damn good comparatively…

Only Storm & Roosters have been regularly featured in the top 4 most years.. Penrith are now set long term to do the same since their pathways program will produce local talent that only need to be supplemented by the odd external recruit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s no guarantee that Bellamy will be coaching Melbourne next year and the last 2 best of their assistant coaches are coaching elsewhere. There is no natural successor in house and to compound that they lost their long time GM of football this year (the position we got Gould for).

Bennett is absolutely leaving the Wabbits and his replacement is untested at NRL level. How have previous teams gone when Bennett leaves, Newcastle, StGeorge, Donkeys twice, they’ve all been basket cases when he left them. How will Mitchell go without Bennett?

The Chooks need a huge overhaul in their roster, Cordner‘s gone, so‘s Friend, Mozzies will both be retired, Tupou is 31 next year and JWH at 33 is another year older and that gets shown up with the new rules. They have a young half in Walker with zero NRL finals experience and Keary will be 30 next year and seems to be more injury prone. They have some big shoes to fill and far as I know they have signed no one for next year, a few resignings but no one new.

Penrith are really the only top 4 team with player, coach and management stability, but their cap pressure come November is going to be immense. Undoubtedly there will be a long queue of clubs lining up to sign their plethora of what will undoubtedly be underpaid players, cap pressure is their issue to be over come.

Logically at least one of them will suffer the inevitable slide, next year will be interesting.

Always a Bulldog

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He can get injured at Broncos or here too. I guess plays more games because finals but it'd be good experience.
I think it will be invaluable for TPJ to play in a gun team. If he plays well he'll arrive with plenty of confidence. Don't forget Baz help build that team so you'd have to assume he's going to play a similar style at Bellmore next year. If he stays fit I'm actually all for it. A small risk for pretty decemt upside, as someone else pointed out he has just as much chance of injury here or at the Broncos. At least if he wins a premiership he may tick it off his bucket list and be more settled at the dogs in the future.

The Raven

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's official now that all Bulldogs signings must have the Panthers DNA and polish on them at player and coaching level .
Times have really changed .