Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were (and probably still are) definitely people involved with the club that were toxic. AFAIK Gould had an issue with the Andersons.
Even more so the Hughes

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How awesome is this, exactly what we need. He maybe able to get the players we need now too.You only need to see how many players have jumped ship to go to the Warriors.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Doubt it. Gus loves him and will hopefully give him the support and guidance he needs. I reckon it has been a real challenge for Barrett to operate with the football manager role vacant. Onwards, upwards
Gus loved Ivan too. I might be over thinking it because I really dont rate T Baz as a head coach. Either way I think it's a fantastic move getting Gus in there.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think it’s fair to say he has turned 2 clubs from cellar dwellers to heavyweights challenging for the title. First easts in the 90s and then Penrith with the next club role he had. And he done so using the blueprint he learnt at Canterbury. It’s time for him to repay the club that taught him how to win.
Gould won a premiership with us in his first year coaching at the beginning of a transition period for the club between the end of the Warren Ryan era and a team centred around Terry Lamb

coached Penrith to their first ever premiership

Gould and Fittler (who likely signs with Easts due to Gould) helped turn the Roosters into a contender

the first NSW coach that instilled a proper Origin culture for the Blues team

was recruited by Greg Alexander and the Panthers when the Panthers were in a financial mess on and off the field and due at least in part to Gould are where they should be - a contending powerhouse with too many very good juniors to retain

while at the Warriors, they bring across Reece Walsh, Shaun Johnson, Matt Lodge, DWZ (with us footing part of the bill) etc. and set up pathways and an academy with Stacey Jones, Adam Blair, Iro etc.

things get done with Gould around

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Best possible news. My hope is that club elections dont interfere with his role. Let him have time to work.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can tell he loves the club but I get a vibe his the type of guy who will always his way. When it comes to pathways his excellent look at Penrith but he will bring our club back to the top you can really tell he wants that

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we need a lot of work on our pathways, convincing free agents to sign, and our FG squad as a whole... Gus Gould can positively contribute on all those fronts

a consultant role, advisory role as to our cap but he does not make any of the decisions, scouting if he is up to it

how he and Steve Hansen co-exist, I'm not sure and if I had to guess, Hansen will quietly withdraw from working with the club (if true)
They don’t have to ,Hansen in nz,Gould in Sydney,and I think u r spot on,Hansen will quietly fade into the sunset.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Someone wrote something a couple of days ago that a couple more pieces had to fall into place for Cheese to be here early….was this announcement one of those pieces. Meaning two have happened, this is the third?