Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The one thing you do get with gould is the media polishing your knob.. and that could be a very good thing for sponsorship and attracting players.
I see the improved relationship with media outlets as the only real benefit of signing Gould in a role. I personally think that we're right on track with regards to improving the roster. Still have a few cogs to fill in our machinery, but our backline will be about as potent in attack as it's been for a long while. A hooker and some classy forwards will make us a real threat again. Great hookers aren't abundant, but solid forwards are probably easier to find if we don't assume that we're going to be recruiting established origin forwards.

If I was Phill Gould I'd be very keen to inject myself somewhere into the fold at our club. It seems like we're finally getting out of the holes that past leadership dug for the club. Severely improved roster for next year, some strong juniors coming through a system that the club took steps to improve 3-4 years ago. I'd expect within two or three years we'll be a premiership threat again. So from Gould's perspective the chances for some self promotion are good here. If we improve quickly he can and will gain a lot of credit for the work thats been ongoing for a few years.

I'm neither here nor there about hoping he'll improve anything much within the club. I really think most of the groundwork has been laid. But it'll be beneficial to us if he's able to cast a harsh light towards the poor standard of refereeing we usually cop and maybe force a few other media outlets to give us a little more respect.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football
bulldogs.com.auFri 16 Jul 2021, 09:58 PM
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to put important pieces in place to build for the future with the appointment of one of the smartest minds in the game in Phil Gould, as their new General Manager of Football.

Gould has an incredible history in the game at all levels - as a player, coach, manager and commentator. Moreover, he has a deep understanding and respect for the Bulldogs Club and it’s history.

Having played in 40 First Grade games for the Bulldogs between 1983 and 1985, Gould then coached the Bulldogs to the 1988 Premiership to give the club its sixth out of eight titles.

From there Gould went on to further Premiership success with the Panthers in 1991, before a stunning coaching career with the New South Wales State of Origin side, where he coached the State to four series wins in five seasons between 1992 and 1996, before returning in 2002 to coach the team for three more series, winning two and drawing a third, to make him the most successful New South Wales Coach in history.

Bulldogs Chair John Khoury was delighted that he had been able to bring Gould back to Belmore:

"Phil Gould’s return to our club as GM of Football is phenomenal news for our club, it’s Members, fans and stakeholders.

Phil has a proud association with the Bulldogs, having played for the club before going on to coach the 1988 Premiership winning side.
He was already part of an amazing run of success that the club had during the eighties and his influence during his time here is something that our fans will always be grateful for.

Phil has a great relationship with Head Coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a Premiership contender once again.

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury
A great deal of work went into ensuring we recruited the right person for the Football Manager role and I am delighted that the club will get to benefit from Phil's knowledge and track record of success, as we look to the future."

Phil Gould was also pleased at the chance to work with the Bulldogs:

"My sincere appreciation and thanks to the Canterbury Bulldogs Chairman John Khoury and his Board, for their confidence in appointing me to this very important position.

It’s a wonderful opportunity, with a great club.

It’s an invitation to work hard. I look forward to meeting everyone at the club and working with them to set a course for the future of the Canterbury Bulldogs.
I played with the Bulldogs. This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting.

I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fkn same here mate lol

Anyway..im stoked he will do great things, Gus is the man :hearteyes::hearteyes:
Yeah man so fucked... Moved into new house and aerial don't work, I was like fuck fixing it only on stream anyways, came back to haunt me that decision. Agree, hopefully we will see a video posted here soon

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the improved relationship with media outlets as the only real benefit of signing Gould in a role. I personally think that we're right on track with regards to improving the roster. Still have a few cogs to fill in our machinery, but our backline will be about as potent in attack as it's been for a long while. A hooker and some classy forwards will make us a real threat again. Great hookers aren't abundant, but solid forwards are probably easier to find if we don't assume that we're going to be recruiting established origin forwards.

If I was Phill Gould I'd be very keen to inject myself somewhere into the fold at our club. It seems like we're finally getting out of the holes that past leadership dug for the club. Severely improved roster for next year, some strong juniors coming through a system that the club took steps to improve 3-4 years ago. I'd expect within two or three years we'll be a premiership threat again. So from Gould's perspective the chances for some self promotion are good here. If we improve quickly he can and will gain a lot of credit for the work thats been ongoing for a few years.

I'm neither here nor there about hoping he'll improve anything much within the club. I really think most of the groundwork has been laid. But it'll be beneficial to us if he's able to cast a harsh light towards the poor standard of refereeing we usually cop and maybe force a few other media outlets to give us a little more respect.
Well said as always mate

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
can somebody recall his thoughts on our crrent players as individuals?

who does he wrap from our roster and who does he hate?