News Off-contract Marshall-King chasing more than just wins for Bulldogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Most teams have their 9 and back up 9s set for 2022. We shouldn’t need to compete for his signature so sign him cheap, Offer minimum for 2yrs with the idea he is our back up 9, but we still need to target a quality 9 for 2022. Worst case scenario, he is our 9 for 2022 and we target one of the many 9s up for grabs come 2023. From memory the Brailey brothers, Cheese, H Grant, Starling and Api are all unsigned for 2023.
If you are going to offer minimum you will absolutely be competing with other clubs.
If he keeps playing like he did last game he will be able to get decent contract somewhere.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
jmk is a dud hes done nothing in the whole time hes been at the club to warrant a new contract

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he’s had his chance and blew it.
But if there isn’t anyone else on the market give him 1 year 150k.
Sounds good on the surface, but we need to remember that we are in a competitive environment and it’s a position with a dearth of quality and he’s decent. Some other teams will simply throw 250 at him. Probably more. The tactic won’t work and that’s life.

Edit:
For example, Manly would be licking their lips to give him 250 at least.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The honest truth is JMK is the PERFECT number 14 and let’s not lose sight of that and give him 2 years at 300.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa? JMK is much better than Lichaa.
JMK will be playing in the NRL next season somewhere.
Lichaa is playing park footy.
Lichaa was not only not good enough for a nrl depth contract, he wasn’t good enough for a Canterbury cup contract or an England contract.
Our replacement for cook and Ennis.
That sums up our last few years clustermuck perfectly right there.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa was not only not good enough for a nrl depth contract, he wasn’t good enough for a Canterbury cup contract or an England contract.
Our replacement for cook and Ennis.
That sums up our last few years clustermuck perfectly right there.
Lichaa was signed before Cook but agree with everything else.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a real issue for next year. I doubt Smith is coming, the only other option is Hodgson. Otherwise we’re stuck with JMK and Dietz and neither look NRL standard. Worse yet we sign someone like Kenny who is also average.

Even if JMK plays well for the rest of the year I wouldn’t sign him on anything longer than 12 month contract.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People need to remember a hooker needs good props hes mostly had tolman ffs look at the difference with hetherington and thomo going forward,co incidence i think not

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The honest truth is JMK is the PERFECT number 14 and let’s not lose sight of that and give him 2 years at 300.
Is he though? A perfect 14 primarily comes on and provides strike and secondarily covers multiple positions in the case of an injury.

Does JMK offer any strike whatsoever?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lichaa? JMK is much better than Lichaa.
JMK will be playing in the NRL next season somewhere.
Lichaa is playing park footy.
Elliot, lichaa, DWZ, mybe..etc probably more that I can't remember.. they seem to find great form in contract years and then never replicate that form..

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Elliot, lichaa, DWZ, mybe..etc probably more that I can't remember.. they seem to find great form in contract years and then never replicate that form..
True especially Mybe, but I remember being concerned that another club was going to poach him because he did look the goods for half a season.

I have always considered Elliot as below average.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
True especially Mybe, but I remember being concerned that another club was going to poach him because he did look the goods for half a season.

It doesn't just happen to us.. it seems to happen a lot to clubs at the bottom of the table..

I've never rated Elliot either.. but his form was half decent last year... I still didn't want him re-signed because I suspected this would happen.. he did the same thing when Des re-signed him..

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People need to remember a hooker needs good props hes mostly had tolman ffs look at the difference with hetherington and thomo going forward,co incidence i think not
And maybe with halves demanding the ball he might be better yes. Shame we didnt get the first half of the season to see any difference. From here I cant see what he can do to make himself our primary hooker. We have to get someone better than him.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a real issue for next year. I doubt Smith is coming, the only other option is Hodgson. Otherwise we’re stuck with JMK and Dietz and neither look NRL standard. Worse yet we sign someone like Kenny who is also average.

Even if JMK plays well for the rest of the year I wouldn’t sign him on anything longer than 12 month contract.
It will be interesting to see JMK's form over the next say 4 games.
He had a good game against St George and got the forwards rolling forward.
A quality 9 should still be the club's no.1 priority.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes I remember Mbye saying he wanted to be the next JT

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa was signed before Cook but agree with everything else.
True but he was the heir that was prioritised.
So Cook said ‘F this I’ll go to Souths, a club that truly knows talent’.
And off he went, collecting rep honours by the dozen.