News Off-contract Marshall-King chasing more than just wins for Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy Marshall-King concedes he's playing for his future at the Bulldogs after a three-month injury lay-off hampered his chances of staying at Belmore.

Marshall-King returned to the paddock in sublime fashion against the Dragons on Monday to help deliver the Bulldogs their second win of the season.

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett praised Marshall-King's performance post-match and said the side had missed his services at hooker while making no secret previously it's an area the club is looking to recruit new personnel.

While the motivation for the team remains getting off the bottom of the Telstra Premiership ladder, the 25-year-old is one of 16 players at the club without deals for 2022.

"I've got a contract to play for so it's a good start to get back on the field," Marshall-King told NRL.com.

"It's a great club and Baz is building with new players so I want to be here and be part of a club that's on the up in the next few years.

"I've got to keep improving and see what happens. It's definitely on my mind, I've just got to try and play my best footy."

Marshall-King injured his foot in the All Stars game in February and was sidelined for a month before reaggravating the injury in a setback that required surgery.

He said his 80-minute return game, in which he scored a try and ran for 86 metres out of dummy half, was a "start" in his quest to earn another contract at the club or elsewhere.

"It's been pretty frustrating because I've had the last 19 weeks to get my body right and watch from the sideline looking at where we need to improve," he said.

"The game is fast now so when those opportunities came for me I needed to bring my running game.

"Being a former half it's good to have it in the back pocket, to have that eyes-up mentality and play what's in front of you, but I've got to keep doing that now."

Marshall-King and Bulldogs halfback Jake Averillo will be key to winning back-to-back games for the first time since 2019 against the Eels on Sunday.

"He was unreal, it was like he didn't miss a game," Averillo said of Marshall-King.

His running game was good, he had everyone on the front foot and it made my job a lot easier.

"A couple more wins like that [Dragons game] can give us a lot of confidence for the rest of the season."

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we can get him cheap as a back up I'm all for it.
If last week's performance becomes his benchmark he'll be an acceptable NRL 9

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Most teams have their 9 and back up 9s set for 2022. We shouldn’t need to compete for his signature so sign him cheap, Offer minimum for 2yrs with the idea he is our back up 9, but we still need to target a quality 9 for 2022. Worst case scenario, he is our 9 for 2022 and we target one of the many 9s up for grabs come 2023. From memory the Brailey brothers, Cheese, H Grant, Starling and Api are all unsigned for 2023.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid player for us to keep in squad. I actually like him on the bench as
he can cover all positions from 1-7 plus also play at 13 and 9. He is sort of a poor mans version of Craig Wing in terms of his versatility. I would sign him to a cheapie deal to play off the bench and be a back up Hooker.

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’d be the perfect no.14 off the bench. Really don’t want to lose this kid. Say we buy a top quality no.9 and they get injured or away on rep footy, JMK can fill that void, he’s slowly getting that experience with 70 odd games under his belt.
There’s also dietzy and topine to sub in.

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have never seen why people hate him so much, if he can play like the dragons game over 90% of the time he ticks enough boxes for a contract. He is not a natural hooker and at this time I would have him too 20 atm so very handy as back up and a problem solver in halves if injuries pop up. I really think he is a must moving forward, fast and tackles brilliantly. He might not ever be a rep player but you can’t have a team full of them.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
I think he’s had his chance and blew it.
But if there isn’t anyone else on the market give him 1 year 150k.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have never seen why people hate him so much, if he can play like the dragons game over 90% of the time he ticks enough boxes for a contract. He is not a natural hooker and at this time I would have him too 20 atm so very handy as back up and a problem solver in halves if injuries pop up. I really think he is a must moving forward, fast and tackles brilliantly. He might not ever be a rep player but you can’t have a team full of them.
That’s the problem he hasn’t played like the Dragons game even close to 90% of the time in the last 3 years.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Back up at best!
I haven't forgotten the last 3 years its contract year.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett praised Marshall-King's performance post-match and said the side had missed his services at hooker while making no secret previously it's an area the club is looking to recruit new personnel.
Nasheed here,
I see this type of quote from Barrett, the media and even the players (such as Thompson in the post match interview) all the time and I laugh so hard because everytime I just wonder what Katoas thinking reading this all the time. Whether intentional or not, they are all digs directly at him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
JMK and another really good (top ten) hooker working in tandem with Dietz as emergency backup would be just pure Lebanese. :innocent:

I still maintain the play is to throw 550 at Hodgson over three years and get Raiders to pitch in 250 next year. After three years the 2 kids in Flegg will be ready. Think everyone wins in that deal.