Forster Tuncurry Shark attack

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A big shock to the locals here and a pretty big reality check for all. I admit that I go to the local surf beach at times during the summer months, but mostly use our Bullring enclosure for my swimming. this is located at the end of main beach away from the breakwall.

1621419452753.png

Lately the water has for the most part, been crystal clear, except for those times when we have received excessive rain which can contribute to the water being murky. Sharks have been a common sight here of late and locals who are in the know and frequent the beaches more than me have said they have never seen more about. We have a drum line out along the coast and a shark buoy which you can clearly see off shore at main beach. That of course can only detect those sharks which have been previously tagged. A shark was removed today from that drum line and tagged and released as it was not big enough to be the one that attacked the man but was however the right species.

Speaking to people who surf at the beach and are locals, admit that even they do not venture into the water at this time of the year in that particular location due to the excessive schools of mullet and other bait fish.It is one one side of the break wall area that leads directly into Wallis Lake which passes under the bridge joining our twin towns and next inlet around from Forster Main Beach....of which both areas were jam packed just months ago.

Would have been horrible to have been at the beach around 11am and thank goodness it was not at a time when more people would have been in the water, particularly younger children. It is so sad that this has happened to anyone but a timely reminder that we are trespassing to a degree in their territory.

I will never forget the day years ago that the kids and I were at the beach and a fin appeared in the water about ten metres from where we were swimming but thankfully it was only a dolphin. come in to see what everyone was doing. Where there are Dolphins and other fish there are sharks though.........

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve surfed there many a time. Never seen a shark personally. Used to paddle across breakwater from Forster to tuncurry for the better surf. It’s a shame what’s happened. I’ve seen a few hammerheads in lake though while swimming and fishing.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s pretty scary isn’t it. The shark alarm went off last time I swam at Forster main beach about a month or so ago. I’ve been some really big sharks when fishing on the break wall and surfing over the years but it was a massive shock to hear someone died! Poor bloke and had a family. RIP

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Theres always sharks at Forster beach.

When I was banned, myself, the bulldog oracle from Taree and my insider went for a Bulldog brainstorming and reflection session at Forster. We went to the sand dunes at One mile beach to discuss Elliott and you could see so ,many big fish in the water but I cant tell if they were doplhins or sharks? Also theres jellyfish on the ground.

then we went to Booti Booti campsite and walked up the mountain for dog reflection time and i remember looking at the big 7 mile beach (after taking pictures of nudists next door) and just thinking is it even swimmable? and was one mile swimmable?

the next day, after the ideas session at Smuths lake we went to forster main beach the next day and yep, shark sighting and jellyfish everywhere.

i honestly wonder if forster was safe?

Spent the night chilling and drinking hard with some random aboriginals in that street behind the Bowling club, which was a weird experience because on iof them used his front door as fire wood? the house looked like something shelled out from palestine. The oracle had gonehome and it was just me and the insider having a big night before heading back to the area the next day.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I used to surf there when I was younger. Generally one of the safer beaches 'cause the sharks would hand around South-West Rocks. Which I also surfed occasionally.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW Smiths Lake is bulldogs territory. Place has loads of supporters. See them in jerseys, they want to stop and chat on the street. Flags hanging. Good place to stop for a few beers if driving north. No cops either on the main road.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty scary isn’t it. The shark alarm went off last time I swam at Forster main beach about a month or so ago. I’ve been some really big sharks when fishing on the break wall and surfing over the years but it was a massive shock to hear someone died! Poor bloke and had a family. RIP
It's always sad when some loses their life doing an innocent act of surfing or swimming, but we also take the risk of these things happening by going into the sharks habitat. It's like going into the jungle with lions or going into the forrest with bears, we share these areas with those animals, which always leaves us with the odd chance of being attacked.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No cops either on the main road.
If you are talking Lakes Way when were you last here? Highway patrol just love trawling along the entrances to town, both Tuncurry and Forster side. . On any given day not uncommon to see at least three and of course our great unmarked car that frequents the roads here. Last time back from Orange saw two instances where the unmarked dude pulled over cars between the lakes way and Failford road. Less than fifty mile stretch.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
and was one mile swimmable?
Certainly is but can be very rough. The surf club there got a masive reno and is a popular place to hold parties etc. There us a corner where at certain times depending on the tide there is actually a nice little piece of the beach which is cut off, like a little mini private pool. We do cop masses of blue bottles at times and I remember one day what seemed like thousands of those big whopper jellyfish floating under the bridge across the lake.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve surfed there many a time. Never seen a shark personally. Used to paddle across breakwater from Forster to tuncurry for the better surf. It’s a shame what’s happened. I’ve seen a few hammerheads in lake though while swimming and fishing.
Yeah, for some reason the hammerheads love it. I always get nervous at holiday time when I see all the tourists just off the island and in the channel into the lake under the bridge , stuck between a rock and a hard place. Water goes from deep to shallow . Remember too when a shark alert at the Rockpool when a shark got in but couldn't get out. Had to close it down until tide turned and they could herd it out.
Nice place to swim, but I am sorry I just can't help chuckling to myself when I hear the tourists say "Oh let's swim here as they have a shark net. Unfortunately it is only a type of drift net to prevent drag outs through the channel as the currents there are pretty strong. It is nice though when the dolphins come into the net and want to play.

If you go out through the breakwater and into deeper waters to fish there are always plenty of sharks around but it is the best place to go to get the decent size fish.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If you are talking Lakes Way when were you last here? Highway patrol just love trawling along the entrances to town, both Tuncurry and Forster side. . On any given day not uncommon to see at least three and of course our great unmarked car that frequents the roads here. Last time back from Orange saw two instances where the unmarked dude pulled over cars between the lakes way and Failford road. Less than fifty mile stretch.
Im an expert on the forster area.
from my experience, and as a seasoned drink driver in the past (not ever condoning it, old life) and an assault charge (set up) from them+ court appearance, the forster police have a strategy.

1. monitor the entrance to forster.
2. Occupy the bridge area, including the parking spots in the park opposite the dominos.
3. hover around the lakes and ocean hotel.

The one thing you should never ever do, even for a 100 dollar bet is attempt to drive drunk from the lakes hotel to tuncurry. That is red hot and i think they have their game down in pretty much checking every car there.

strangely, i havent seen much police activity around the RSL. I dont know why, because that can be open late and aboriginals get rowdy when they lose on the pokies, maybe its because they have a good courtesy bus system.

I also suspect they hover around the lookouts and all that but cant say for sure.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Condolences to the family and friends of the guy who was attacked.

It's fortunate that we aren't a recognized source of food for sharks or attacks would be far more common. For the most part it's assumed that bites occur due to curiosity or because the sharks are mistaking humans for seals. In any case methods for detecting Sharks are improving all the time. It doesn't make it any less hard for those close to the guy to deal with. But hopefully we find some combination of strategies to keep shark attacks low. I don't think the fact that we make huge impacts on their natural food sources through commercial fishing helps the numbers of attacks.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly think sharks are developing a taste of human flesh.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The world is a lot more multicultural now, so people are evolving and i imagine the dna is evolving too, and with the increase of shark attacks, its possible the new flavours might have caught their attention, as they search for alternate food sources themselves.
they attack boats now like crocodiles and neither did that ten years ago.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's always sad when some loses their life doing an innocent act of surfing or swimming, but we also take the risk of these things happening by going into the sharks habitat. It's like going into the jungle with lions or going into the forrest with bears, we share these areas with those animals, which always leaves us with the odd chance of being attacked.
I’m with you. I hope they don’t kill the shark. As I’ve always said, if a shark comes into my house and starts attacking me I’ll kill it. I’ve been in the ocean my whole life swimming, surfing, spear fishing etc and I’ve accepted the risks

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t mean to turn this into a global warming debate but shark sightings and attacks are becoming more frequent. Granted this was Australia’s first fatality this year, but last year there were 8 deaths and 11 non-fatal attacks. When I was a kid that was unheard of. Must be a reason why they are staying closer or returning more frequently closer to shore for food sources. It’s not like they want a Covid vaccine, many of them are already chipped for tracking :-). RIP to the fella who died who leaves behind two young daughters.