Official Craig Bellamy agrees to extend stay as Melbourne coach

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Craig Bellamy agrees to extend stay as Melbourne coach: report

STORM

Craig Bellamy looks on during a Melbourne Storm training session
Craig Bellamy looks on during a Melbourne Storm training sessionSource: Getty Images

Storm coach Craig Bellamy is set to continue coaching in 2022, with the premiership-winning Melbourne coach reported to be extending his time with the club.

Bellamy was off-contact this year, but now looks ready to coach Melbourne for a further season, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The 61-year-old had been linked with a move to the Broncos as a coaching director after his contract with the Storm expired.

But this decision puts the thought of Bellamy exiting to work with an NRL rival on the backburner.

It is said that the Storm are yet to organise a plan for what Bellamy does after 2022.

The coach, however, has long wanted to relocate to Queensland to be close to his daughter.

He had also been tossed up as a potential coach for one of the future Brisbane teams.

Brisbane Bombers bid lead Nick Livermore told foxsports.com.au earlier this year that Bellamy and Wayne Bennett were their ideal candidates should they win the NRL’s expansion tender.

“I come back to culture, you need men who act with integrity and treat people with respect,” Livermore said.

“You want great players but if you can get great people around them, then that culture will continually perform.

“Look at the Storm with how few off-field discretions they have had over the last 20 years compared to other clubs – the culture is strong with guys like Craig Bellamy and (football manager) Frank Ponissi.

“They don’t put up with garbage. It’s about having someone who can lead a good culture.”

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So much for wanting to spend more time with his daughter...another year Craig f it hey.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That part about Melbourne having few off-field indescretions is bullshit.

Storm players are lucky they are hidden away from the Sydney media.
I'd assume that's part of things. It's almost impossible to assume their players never get out of line.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Bellamy loves coaching too much and they're still too successful and well set up for future runs at a premiership for him to walk away.

He might follow the Bennett pattern of will he/won't he over the next several years. He'll eventually leave Melbourne but like Bennett, I think Bellamy will end up winning a premiership or making a grand final at another club down the road..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That part about Melbourne having few off-field indescretions is bullshit.

Storm players are lucky they are hidden away from the Sydney media.
You could not be more wrong. The VIC AFL loving sweep all incidents of that code under the carpet media, would love nothing better than to splash bad stories about NRL players all over the front pages. There is not a sports reporter in VIC that would no leap at the chance to bad mouth our code.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You could not be more wrong. The VIC AFL loving sweep all incidents of that code under the carpet media, would love nothing better than to splash bad stories about NRL players all over the front pages. There is not a sports reporter in VIC that would no leap at the chance to bad mouth our code.
No - i've spent enough time in Melbourne to agree with Moe.

Even when the Storm is winning the comp, they are still about 15 pages in from the back of the sports section of the Age and the Hun. Literally nobody outside the small league loving community gives a fuck about RL in Melbourne. Most Storm players could walk from one end of Bourke Street Mall to the other and not get stopped/recognized. Even most NRL coaches would get heckled in the street on a regular basis. but i doubt Bellamy has that problem. I think that's one of the attractions for players and coaches alike, the anonymity.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No - i've spent enough time in Melbourne to agree with Moe.

Even when the Storm is winning the comp, they are still about 15 pages in from the back of the sports section of the Age and the Hun. Literally nobody outside the small league loving community gives a fuck about RL in Melbourne. Most Storm players could walk from one end of Bourke Street Mall to the other and not get stopped/recognized. Even most NRL coaches would get heckled in the street on a regular basis. but i doubt Bellamy has that problem. I think that's one of the attractions for players and coaches alike, the anonymity.
You're talking good news stories about RL which will never get air time in VIC. But bad news stories about RL do get air time and that's my point to Moe.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You're talking good news stories about RL which will never get air time in VIC. But bad news stories about RL do get air time and that's my point to Moe.
Very little NRL news really makes the papers in Melbourne - good or bad. Because people barely know the Storm even exists.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume the Broncos or even the second Brisbane club remain Bellamy's longer term plan but 2022 probably is not the year to move to Brisbane considering the current state of the Broncos and the second Brisbane team not starting up until at least 2023

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Any sports journalist in Melbourne who the AFL even suspects pays any interest whatsoever in NRL is immediately sanctioned. They get cut off from any AFL contact, their access is cancelled and not given back for years.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any sports journalist in Melbourne who the AFL even suspects pays any interest whatsoever in NRL is immediately sanctioned. They get cut off from any AFL contact, their access is cancelled and not given back for years.

Go Dogs
They are a paranoid bunch those Mexicans.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bellamy extending for another year or two would effectively rule out Papenhuysen or Grant signing elsewhere....

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellamy extending for another year or two would effectively rule out Papenhuysen or Grant signing elsewhere....
if Bellamy has only extended for one more season, then both he and Papenhuyzen are off contract at the end of 2022... perhaps Bellamy is planning on taking Papenhuyzen with him to QLD?