BRENT NADEN RESUME!!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Already posted in the Brent Naden thread.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I've seen that running stance and body shape somewhere before... a great player to watch in full flight...

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He can play but what worries me is his defense and that he might be suspect to having 'Paul Carriage' moments like when he almost handed roosters the win in last years semi final where they attempted a short kick off from the restart with 3mins to go and he charged onto the ball before it had gone the 10m whilst the rest of the players (and every rugby league fan) who knew the rules were standing around waiting for the ball to go the 10m.

Crichton scores off the next play.

That's almost unforgivable for a professional rugby league player.

Screenshot_20210429_002827.jpg

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He finished most of those well. But a lot were from well placed kicks. Flanagan hasn't shown that his kicking game is there this year. At least Naden is quick and a powerful runner. Saw him pop a couple of good balls to support players in there as well. So while I think he's a good signing, not all of his best attributes will be on show unless we get our kicking game spot on next year.

This isn't intended as a criticism of him. It's just an observation about the fact that he finished a lot of those tries rather than started them off. So to an extent we're still going to need our halves stepping up to a high level next year.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He finished most of those well. But a lot were from well placed kicks. Flanagan hasn't shown that his kicking game is there this year. At least Naden is quick and a powerful runner. Saw him pop a couple of good balls to support players in there as well. So while I think he's a good signing, not all of his best attributes will be on show unless we get our kicking game spot on next year.

This isn't intended as a criticism of him. It's just an observation about the fact that he finished a lot of those tries rather than started them off. So to an extent we're still going to need our halves stepping up to a high level next year.
Mate you are right, and I really do believe that Flanagan has till the end of the year if not I believe it will be burton and Averillo in the halves

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate you are right, and I really do believe that Flanagan has till the end of the year if not I believe it will be burton and Averillo in the halves
Unfortunately that's been my biggest criticism of the Flange. His natural instinct at this stage seems to be to shovel the ball along the line on the last tackle regardless of whether we're well covered defensively. We still have a long way to go till the end of the year and hopefully T-Baz can get both Averillo and Flanagan to a point where their last tackle options aren't predictable.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate you are spot on, however I do believe that are forwards not dominating and the back rowers unable to punch the line, is reflecting on the way Flanagan is trying to play safe, and not push certain passes or kicks, however you aren’t going to know the limits of your teammates unless you push the envelope. And this is a issue that that Baz has to get the halves to do.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate you are spot on, however I do believe that are forwards not dominating and the back rowers unable to punch the line, is reflecting on the way Flanagan is trying to play safe, and not push certain passes or kicks, however you aren’t going to know the limits of your teammates unless you push the envelope. And this is a issue that that Baz has to get the halves to do.
I know that the forwards play a big part in setting the platform for the halves to perform. But the first game I was able to watch this year I saw on about 5 occasions that we were within 10-15m of the line and he just tried to push the ball to the edge quickly each time. I missed the first three or four games because I had to work so I don't know if that was his trend beforehand. But if he was in that habit in the earlier games then it gives coaches some insight into how they set their defense. I have no issues with the halves going through the hands as long as they shake it up by kicking on the last as well to put the defense in two minds about what the next play will be. Good halves aren't predictable.

I think it's partly a question of vision and partly knowing what he's had success with before. While I don't think he puts in these short kicks enough when the defense is set with numbers, I have seen him set up a couple of tries with decent passes to a winger or centre. So at this point I don't know if he's just relying on what has worked for him or if he isn't reading the defense because he's lacking a bit of vision. Hopefully it's not a lack of vision. Because if he's able to keep the defense in two minds it makes both running on the last and a short attacking kick on the last more dangerous.

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Already posted in the Brent Naden thread.
I don’t mind seeing it again

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Seems to tick all the boxes. Only reservation is that he performed well in a great panthers backline. This can be deceiving sometime. E.g. Remis Smith who looks good in the Melbourne storm backline. Any glass half full, so expectating a welcome addition to our centres.