News Baz on BSB This Morning

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Pretty standard. Main points :

- Confident of Naden signing. Try scorer and aerial threat ;

- He was at the airport and said it was a "day trip". Might be a potential signing target from another state. Might not be either
If he’s on a day trip it must be to talk with a potential recruit. Zero chance it’s for leisure

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Pretty standard. Main points :

- Confident of Naden signing. Try scorer and aerial threat ;

- He was at the airport and said it was a "day trip". Might be a potential signing target from another state. Might not be either
Baz said: "6again changing body type and type of athlete you recruit in the game."

So the outcomes and effects of this dumb rule has far reaching implications all through the evolution of our sport.

Vlad and Abdo wouldn't have had a clue about that!

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Said: 6again changing body type and type of athlete you recruit in the game.
So the outcomes and effects of this dumb rule has far reaching implications all through the evolution of our sport.
Spot on Wendy, it just confirms my opinion;
My view is that what we have now is a fundamental change to the game itself. The way the game is played is very different and it requires not just the current players to adapt to that. It requires "different" players, based on far more concentration on aerobic fitness, the ability to run marathons at a fast pace. Whereas it used to be about strength, power and durability, the fitness to absorb a hit and get back up and do it again, run a multitude of 30 metres dashes based on a quick recovery in between.

This will change the type of player that develops through the ranks physically, they will inevitably be lighter, more nimble, with their development from juniors upwards concentrating on endurance training, more like an AFL player (up to 20 kilometres in a game) than an NRL player (up to 10 kilometres in a game and rising) as we know it. The problem with that will inevitably be more injuries, particularly legs (knees and ankles) and arms (elbows and shoulders), players simply won't be able to carry the protective muscle to shield them from the impacts. Their bodies overall will in fact be weaker in outright strength terms.

I see it as basically the end of the traditional NRL prop forward, they will develop more like 2nd rowers, lighter, taller, more nimble and able to run half marathons every game. Merrin nailed it in his retirement declaration, I can see the end of players in the mould of JWH, AFB, Ogden, Taupau et. Right now we are in exploratory times, teams, particularly coaches, are searching their rosters for players that suite the way the game is developing. In a few years the average NRL player will look very different, they will be selected and have training that will push them physically in a different direction.

Personally I don't like it, it's getting too far, far too far, away from the game that I grew up with.
Go Dogs

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have we got any Kenneler's with eyes at any of the airports- to confirm where he arrives or returns from????

It's definitely a recruitment trip as his slight laugh disclosed when they put that to him.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it was chopping but just before they changed topics he said "Just going back to Temora"

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

He said dumb rule or is that your comment?

I hate the rule myself but would be very interesting if they came from a Coach.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He didnt say that, however when asked about the new conference system proposed, he just said game was fine before, why change things.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Lol no that dumb comment is my comment.
I'll put quotation marks on his comment :grinning:

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I actually think NRL athletes were so far behind most other sports. I like the rule change to speed up the game and improve the overall fitness levels required to play, although I think it needs tweaks. eg. team captain has a choice to take a penalty instead of a 6 again, so if we got a 6 again in our own half on the first tackle, we can opt to take a penalty and kick.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol no that dumb comment is my comment.
I'll put quotation marks on his comment :grinning:
All good. I was actually hoping it was his as it's one of the worst ones they've come up with on the fly (as they do).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I actually think NRL athletes were so far behind most other sports. I like the rule change to speed up the game and improve the overall fitness levels required to play, although I think it needs tweaks. eg. team captain has a choice to take a penalty instead of a 6 again, so if we got a 6 again in our own half on the first tackle, we can opt to take a penalty and kick.
Ok in theory re fitness levels but other sports don't have the same level of heavy contact and collision without any protection like league players.

Union even not as combative as league.

I see no need for 6 agains at all.

If refs fairly adjudicated the previous rules then none of this tinkering would have been required nor a changing of body types to play the game.

A committee made up from all the clubs, sports doctors etc should be overseeing these dumb rule changes that can have far reaching affects and are almost always detrimental to what the committed league supporter wants to see in "our" game.