Official Marking the ends of a era: Thank you Turvey!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A few words sums it all up to a T...

- Humble
- Legend
- True Bulldog of all time
- Club icon
- Bleed blue an white Forever
- one of the BEST to don this great jersey
- Immortal

- can’t beat, can’t argue, can’t get any better, it’s called true love. What a guy, what a player.!!!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also grew up supporting the Bulldogs because of this great man, and your post says exactly what I wanted to say nearly word for word, For all the fans of our vintage who were fortunate enough to watch Steve Mortimer play you will know what I mean when I tell you that he nearly single handedly made the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs the great club that it is today and I have argued for years now that the selection of immortals is Bullshit without the greatest most exciting player to have ever played the game "the Arch bishop of Canterbury " Steve Mortimer. And with no disrespect to Terry Lamb ( our second best Bulldog ) I have always dreamt of breaking into the Canterbury Leagues Club and swapping the heads around on that painting because I fully believe that Steve Mortimer should be the player getting chaired off.
STEVE MORTIMER a Superman on the Field a gentleman of the field, The legend will live on, you are an Immortal where it matters most, in the hearts of The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldog supporters, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES STEVE MORTIMER - ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY OUR TOP DOG.View attachment 22912
100% agree. There are two types of Bulldogs fans. Those who think Baa is the greatest and those who think Turvey is. The ones who think Baa is the greatest never saw Turvey play throughout his whole career.
Baa is a magnificent player but there is a fair gap between Turvey and Baa. Turvey is a once in a century type player.
Turvey virtually played with handcuffs during the Wozzball era because Ryan would not let Turvey play his natural attacking game. He had to adapt to become more of a leader and organiser like Sterlo and still led us to multiple GF wins. Lesser players than him would have left the club and go elsewhere if the coach limited their natural game but not Mortimer.
And the "immortal" rating has no credibility when Turvey is not on the list.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sterling couldn't do half of that!

Turvey was ripped off for more rep honours.
100% right. Sterlo could only match Turvey in passing and kicking. Sterlo was very limited in his running game as he had no foot speed. No surprise that NSW never won a series until Turvey was made captain.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Turvey never had a saloon passage into first grade. I remember him being dropped to Reggies in the mid 70's by then coach Malcolm Cliff so he could learn to tackle better ....and learn he did. Spent around 8 or nine games back in reggies and never looked back. I remember seeing some of the best ever cover tackles in the game being executed by Turvey and none top those in the 1980 grand final against the Roosters. Sublime!

One of my all time favourite sons of Canterbury and it is sad to see his era end.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a great player and clubman Turvey was, the best !
I’ve been lucky enough to meet him numerous times over the years, the last time was after the first “ back to Belmore” game a few years ago, my son and I had had a few schooners at the Belmore hotel,post match.we were leaving and were walking out , I wasn’t paying attention and walked straight into him,all but knocking him over. I couldn’t have been more apologetic, and that was before I realised I’d nearly bowled over my childhood hero.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the full video has been removed from youtube. Can someone post the full video?
Yes, I think you're right you can only get the edited version on Youtube, I actually have a much treasured signed copy of "Top Dog" on VHS which I bought when it came out, The video was actually put together by Greham & Narelle Hughes before the sad Mortimer - Hughes Clan wars, very sad because, Heaps ( Greham Hughs) Idolized Steve Mortimer before the argument. I also have a signed copy of the book "Top Dog" It's the Steve Mortimer Autobiography in his own words, great reading for Turvey fans, you can Probably still get it from the Bulldog shop or local Libraries. 1617899105392.png1617899156666.png