Barrett's selections. Never thought I'd see DWZ play fullback again

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He gets the long standing player allowance (outside the cap) - it doesn’t cost the club the same amount.
That's irrelevant, still way too much money for him. He should be on a year less and a couple 100k less per season, the allowance shouldn't be some bonus for him. No club would pay him more than 500k for him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Fair enough. My view is he’s seeking to kick start that confidence by at least closing the gap between us and our opponents and get closer to a win. Hopefully what he’s doing doesn’t further dent confidence.
I don't see how he thinks moving a touted long term solution in favour of a guy who has already been trialled at fullback and come up short is going to do that. DWZ will probably come out of the gate strong, excited to be back at FB and have a good first few games....then his performance will slowly drop away and he'll have to be shifted too. I hope I am proven wrong....but stuff like this worries me. The way to bridge the gap is to help the side build confidence and gain composure. The way to do that is showing faith in your spine and understanding it is an inexperienced one and there will be bad times.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Crazy money even with the allowance.
I don’t agree:

- 10th season with the club
- Captain
- 65 tackles against The Ponies
- High work rate every week
- Experience young fellas can benefit from

He’s not overpaid compared to players of similar vintage. He’s just playing in a losing side. If the Dogs were winning I bet no-one would be saying he’s overpaid or should be moved on.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see how he thinks moving a touted long term solution in favour of a guy who has already been trialled at fullback and come up short is going to do that. DWZ will probably come out of the gate strong, excited to be back at FB and have a good first few games....then his performance will slowly drop away and he'll have to be shifted too. I hope I am proven wrong....but stuff like this worries me. The way to bridge the gap is to help the side build confidence and gain composure. The way to do that is showing faith in your spine and understanding it is an inexperienced one and there will be bad times.
We’ll see. Dallin was good at 1 in 2019 and it was only after he was smashed by Nathan Brown his confidence was shattered. He had a shocking 2020, we all saw that and he admitted it. Let’s see how he goes out the back again. It may work out well.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That's irrelevant, still way too much money for him. He should be on a year less and a couple 100k less per season, the allowance shouldn't be some bonus for him. No club would pay him more than 500k for him.
I agree 3 years likely 1 too long but still think he offers more than enough for now. He’s where he belongs in the middle and without him we’d be even weaker.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We’ll see. Dallin was good at 1 in 2019 and it was only after he was smashed by Nathan Brown his confidence was shattered. He had a shocking 2020, we all saw that and he admitted it. Let’s see how he goes out the back again. It may work out well.
Even at his best DWZ never offered another ball playing option. He always looked like a winger playing well at FB and not a genuine fb. Allan's skills could come in very handy at the back with a young halves pairing if the coach would allow him to find his feet. I just do not see any sense in signing a young bloke, touting him as your long term fullback and then moving him after three games. The move reeks of desperation. I just hope this constant chopping and changing doesn't become a habit with Barrett. I want him to succeed, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t agree:

- Captain

He’s not overpaid compared to players of similar vintage. He’s just playing in a losing side. If the Dogs were winning I bet no-one would be saying he’s overpaid or should be moved on.
Especially with such a young team we needed to keep
Some experience even if the senior players we have aren’t as dynamic as we would like. He’s also gone a decade without even a whimper of an off field incident (as far as I know)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Even at his best DWZ never offered another ball playing option. He always looked like a winger playing well at FB and not a genuine fb. Allan's skills could come in very handy at the back with a young halves pairing if the coach would allow him to find his feet. I just do not see any sense in signing a young bloke, touting him as your long term fullback and then moving him after three games. The move reeks of desperation. I just hope this constant chopping and changing doesn't become a habit with Barrett. I want him to succeed, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.
Allan was never the long-term fullback, he was just someone we picked up late to fill a gap in the roster when things didn't go to plan. The club expected Burton to be here this season, Baz wanted Jake to play fullback, etc.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Allan was never the long-term fullback, he was just someone we picked up late to fill a gap in the roster when things didn't go to plan. The club expected Burton to be here this season, Baz wanted Jake to play fullback, etc.
Avo a fullback? I'm not really sold on that. I'll believe it when I see it. I think if Avo was Barrett's long term fb, he'd be playing there this year, with your boy Lachie at 6.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Avo a fullback? I'm not really sold on that. I'll believe it when I see it. I think if Avo was Barrett's long term fb, he'd be playing there this year, with your boy Lachie at 6.
Because Jake wasn't ready to play fullback, especially not in this team. Baz doesn't want Lewis and it's why he wasn't starting, he wanted to get some experience into Jake and a runner in the 6. Obviously things have not worked out anywhere across the field at this stage lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Because Jake wasn't ready to play fullback, especially not in this team. Baz doesn't want Lewis and it's why he wasn't starting, he wanted to get some experience into Jake and a runner in the 6. Obviously things have not worked out anywhere across the field at this stage lol
I'll believe Avo at fullback when I see it, mate. If he were Barrett's preferred long term fullback, he'd be better off playing fullback, whether it be in firsts or NSW Cup. If fullback is his long term position, playing him at 6 just takes a year off his development in his true position.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen, Cotric, DWZ, Hoppa, and Flanagan. ...honestly, ....while they haven’t clicked yet that’s a pretty strong 5 of the back 7 with Burton and Fox still to come. It hasn’t been a good start (dreadful actually) but I’d take these over a lot of other back lines going around. We need some patience. I’m backing these fellas in for a strong mid and end to the season. Go Dogs!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
2023 mate. The Flange got a 3-year deal.
Oh man.. I thought it was only 2? Spewing.. Oh well. Someone else will take him if he doesn't pan out. Namely his dad wherever he coaches next..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Oh man.. I thought it was only 2? Spewing.. Oh well. Someone else will take him if he doesn't pan out. Namely his dad wherever he coaches next..
I think Shane is waiting for John Morris to be tapped on the shoulder if the Sharks struggle this year and take that job again. From there...

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol you think he had a choice?

All our fit wingers/centres/fullback have been picked this week

we have no one else lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Shane is waiting for John Morris to be tapped on the shoulder if the Sharks struggle this year and take that job again. From there...
Probably. He might be waiting a while though. Morris has them playing well at the moment but they have had a softish draw.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t agree:

- Captain

What exactly is similar vintage?
Honestly, how many other teams would take on Jackson's contract at this moment?
Frizzell signed for less at the knights even though he was an incumbent test and origin player whereas Jackson hadn't made any rep teams since 2017.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What exactly is similar vintage?
Honestly, how many other teams would take on Jackson's contract at this moment?
Frizzell signed for less at the knights even though he was an incumbent test and origin player whereas Jackson hadn't made any rep teams since 2017.
Frizell wouldn't of signed for us unless we offered him ~900k or he had no other options (which wouldn't happen for a player of Frizell's calibre). I'd say it's more 700k (with veteran allowance, which I believe is up to 200k) vs 900k. We couldn't afford to lose Jackson, especially at the time we re-signed him, imo. Jackson's playing better than J. Trbojevic this year and he's on 950k. Let's see how Jackson goes in a competitive team. I think Jackson's been one of our best so far this year.

Last edited:

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looks like we are going to need a third go at this rebuild.

Board really fucked up badly when they didn't gun for hollbrook.